• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a 'theory' ?

outhouse

Atheistically
HERE ARE REAL FACTS, NOT A POOR CREATIONIST, BAD OPINION WITH IMPROPER INTERPRETATION OF SCIENTIFIC THEORY .

A THEORY IS NOT A SCIENTIFIC THEORY, ABOVE POSTER CONTINUES HER DISHONEST APPROACH OF TWISTING FACTS.

Scientific theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A scientific theory is constructed to conform to available empirical data about such observations

one finds theories whose subject matter does not (only) concern empirical data, but rather ideas. [this is not a scientific theory]

The defining characteristic of a scientific theory is that it makes falsifiable or testable predictions.

[in other words its fact when a hypothesis makes it to become a scientific theory]

Both scientific laws and scientific theories are typically well-supported by observations and/or experimental evidence.

theories are in the realm of philosophical theories as contrasted with scientific theories.

A philosophical theory is not necessarily scientifically testable through experiment.

newhope101

HERE ARE REAL FACTS, NOT A POOR CREATIONIST, BAD OPINION WITH IMPROPER INTERPRETATION OF SCIENTIFIC THEORY .

A THEORY IS NOT A SCIENTIFIC THEORY, ABOVE POSTER CONTINUES HER DISHONEST APPROACH OF TWISTING FACTS.

A scientific theory is constructed to conform to available empirical data about such observations

one finds theories whose subject matter does not (only) concern empirical data, but rather ideas. [this is not a scientific theory]

The defining characteristic of a scientific theory is that it makes falsifiable or testable predictions.

[in other words its fact when a hypothesis makes it to become a scientific theory]

Both scientific laws and scientific theories are typically well-supported by observations and/or experimental evidence.

theories are in the realm of philosophical theories as contrasted with scientific theories.

A philosophical theory is not necessarily scientifically testable through experiment.

So this is why you find fossils that do not fit your theory and need to make up punctuated evolution. So this is why some genomes are surprisingly and remarkably different between related species(Y chromo) and you make up accelerated evolution, this is why your reseaarchers flapped about with arch and some now think dinos are not bird ancestors, this is why your phlogeny disputes your morphology eg hippos etc etc etc.

I think it is you that is unable to grasp the implications of your own theoretical assumptions and pop science.

"Richard Dawkins still hasn't provide any examples of genetic information being created by evolution"...and he never will. Why? Because there aren't any.

Evolution - Conservapedia.

outhouse

Atheistically
this is a "what is a theory" thread

not your the creation myth is real type thread.

conservapedia is not relevant to this thread, or any thread for that matter.

quit posting garbage

anyone who does not understand evolution has a learning issues. there is no debate about evolution.

Last edited:

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Theories vs. theorems
Theories are distinct from theorems...
Newhope, we are not discussing the word "theorem", which has a mathematical sense. The issue raised in the OP was over two different word senses for "theory". Do you deny that there is a distinction between a scientific theory--e.g. the theory that the Earth revolves around the sun--and a speculative "theory"--e.g. the "theory" that life exists on other planets? The scientific "theory" is based on observation, whereas the speculative "theory" is based on, well, speculation. If you agree or disagree with that distinction, then you have a basis for discussing the OP. If you want to talk about the distinction between "theory" and "theorem", you are off-topic. The point being made here is that when creationists claim that evolution is "just a theory", they are confusing the speculative sense of "theory" with its scientific sense. Evolution theory is not considered speculation by scientists. It is considered demonstrated fact in the same sense that the revolution of the earth around the sun is considered fact.

I believe your TOE has been falsified on many occasions. Punctuated evolution, accelerated evolution, convergent evolution etc, are illustrations of the evolution of your theory as it is refuted time and time again. Chaos theory gives further clues.
Well, I believe that you are wrong in every case, and these false claims have been refuted repeatedly by scientists, although that won't stop you from a Black Knight-style argument against it. Richard Dawkins is so tired of hearing that there is "no evidence" for evolution from ignorant people that he has put together a fascinating book called The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution, which explains in exhaustive detail the evidence that scientists have. He also begins the book by criticizing the claim that evolution is "just a theory".

So this is why you find fossils that do not fit your theory and need to make up punctuated evolution. So this is why some genomes are surprisingly and remarkably different between related species(Y chromo) and you make up accelerated evolution, this is why your reseaarchers flapped about with arch and some now think dinos are not bird ancestors, this is why your phlogeny disputes your morphology eg hippos etc etc etc.
Dawkins wrote his book for people like you, but you will never read it. He actually explains how the science works in terms that a layman like yourself could understand if you gave it a try. If you want to understand genomes and why they corroborate the fossil record, he goes into eloquent detail on that subject.

"Richard Dawkins still hasn't provide any examples of genetic information being created by evolution"...and he never will. Why? Because there aren't any.
He has actually done just that in jaw-dropping detail, but you will never learn that. Why? Because you refuse to get the facts. You...will...not...listen. :ignore:

Last edited:

Iasion

Gday,

So this is why you find fossils that do not fit your theory

Wrong again.
Evolution is a fact of nature.
And there is a theory to explain those facts.

I think it is you that is unable to grasp the implications of your own theoretical assumptions and pop science.

Wrong again.
Evolution is a fact of nature.
And there is a theory to explain those facts.

Wrong again.

We HAVE observed :
* new base pairs
* new genes
* new features
* new species

But creationists insist we have no new 'information' - when we have directly observed NEW SPECIES !

Incredible.

Iasion

andys

Andys
Newhope,
There is no question that you are clearly uninformed about the fact of evolution and the Theory of Evolution that elegantly explains it. So the interesting question that arises is this; if you actually believe what you are saying about evolution, how is that possible?

To find the answer to this perplexing question, I invite you to engage in an exercise in self-reflection.
Ask yourself these questions:
- "Why do I care so strongly about this one particular scientific theory and no others?"
- "I am not a scientist, so what emboldens me to take issue with the entire scientific community?"
- "And what drives me to care so much whether or not this theory is true?"

Be truthful with your answers.

Were you able to honestly face the truth: You simply resent this theory for what it represents and you wish with every fiber in your being that it would just go away! The reason you hate this theory is because it threatens your deeply personal (religious) beliefs. Isn't that the honest truth?

The evidence for the Theory of Evolution isn't of any concern to you. Otherwise you'd understand it and accept it. All you know is that this unwelcome intruder threatens to expose your traditional beliefs for what they truly are, myths from a time long past. You deeply resent this invasion of your privacy and sense of security and ye shall smote it with the vengeful fury of your god!

If only you could reconcile your beliefs with the fact of evolution, as the Catholics do, you could have the best of both worlds and put your feet up and enjoy your god's evolutionary creation. You'd still be wrong, but not so conspicuously wrong.

Last edited:

Frank Merton

Newhope, we are not discussing the word "theorem", which has a mathematical sense. The issue raised in the OP was over two different word senses for "theory". Do you deny that there is a distinction between a scientific theory--e.g. the theory that the Earth revolves around the sun--and a speculative "theory"--e.g. the "theory" that life exists on other planets? The scientific "theory" is based on observation, whereas the speculative "theory" is based on, well, speculation. If you agree or disagree with that distinction, then you have a basis for discussing the OP. If you want to talk about the distinction between "theory" and "theorem", you are off-topic. The point being made here is that when creationists claim that evolution is "just a theory", they are confusing the speculative sense of "theory" with its scientific sense. Evolution theory is not considered speculation by scientists. It is considered demonstrated fact in the same sense that the revolution of the earth around the sun is considered fact.
This is perhaps -- just perhaps, mind you --a better summary of the position I have been arguing all along than [even] I could produce. It makes me wonder what all the heat has been about (not especially from you but certainly from others).

By the way, I doubt that if this participant read Dawkins he would be persuaded, but it was a good point to make.

Copernicus

By the way, I doubt that if this participant read Dawkins he would be persuaded, but it was a good point to make.
I think that Newhope has the capacity to understand the book, and it is hard to believe that anyone who gets through it would come out the other end with a shred of doubt that evolution theory is established beyond all reasonable doubt. But, if Newhope's mind were open to objective evidence, he would long ago have abandoned creationism. He won't read such books.

Dawkins always writes well, but this is a tour de force even for him. Having read most of his other books, I did not really need to be convinced, but I learned a lot from this book about things I knew little about (but was unaware of the extent of my ignorance). He begins by showing how human breeding of plants and animals would be impossible if evolution were not true (actually a Darwinian theme). His explanation of embryology is clear and nontechnical (using his "origami" metaphor). He explains how scientists assign dates by a variety of natural "clocks". He goes into a beautiful description of the mammalian skeleton across so many species. And all along the way he keeps pounding away at the favorite arguments of creationists--e.g. why convergent evolution is held out as evidence against evolution theory but actually corroborates it. The major evidence for evolution, of course, is DNA, not fossils. Dawkins explains why DNA represents such solid evidence, but the icing on the cake is that both the fossil record and methods of comparing DNA corroborate each other in such a way that the theory of evolution cannot be doubted. But the book is not really for creationists. It is for anyone who wants a good nontechnical introduction to biology.

Last edited:

Frank Merton

I think that Newhope has the capacity to understand the book, and it is hard to believe that anyone who gets through it would come out the other end with a shred of doubt that evolution theory is established beyond all reasonable doubt. But, if Newhope's mind were open to objective evidence, he would long ago have abandoned creationism. He won't read such books.
It may be that he won't read such books: it is damn hard to get me to read a Bible thumping book. It is not that my mind is closed, but, "been there, done that." I think he is smart enough to understand it, though. What might happen rather than what you hope is that he has already heard all the arguments, but his defenses are fully in place and he is practiced as dismissing them.

The world view (or perspective) we bring to anything polemical has more to do with what we get out of a book than I think almost anything else. You already agreed with Dawkins, so you were able to learn. All I can say is that I've been around this course so many times that I have decided it is not worth the effort. Maybe others are more persuasive than I.

andys

Andys
The world view (or perspective) we bring to anything polemical has more to do with what we get out of a book than I think almost anything else.
First of all, the Theory of Evolution is not "polemical", if by that you mean controversial. Evolution, itself, is a fact as sound as any other, and the scientific theory that explains it is as certain as certain can be in science.

As for personal biases accounting for "what we get out of a book", your are, of course, referring to the religious community, whose predisposed need for a comforting "world view" most certainly does instill a preinclination to be assured by what reassures.

This explains the reluctance on their part to read enlightening books such as Dawkins' "The Greatest Show on Earth", while not hesitating to invent ill informed objections to it.

newhope101

Quote Frank Merton;"think that Newhope has the capacity to understand the book, and it is hard to believe that anyone who gets through it would come out the other end with a shred of doubt that evolution theory is established beyond all reasonable doubt. But, if Newhope's mind were open to objective evidence, he would long ago have abandoned creationism. He won't read such books.
BTW,he is a she. The evidence that is provided has conflicting research in many cases. I think to have a realistic opinion one must acknowledge all research, even that which appears uncomforatable at the time.
Dawkins always writes well, but this is a tour de force even for him. Having read most of his other books, I did not really need to be convinced, but I learned a lot from this book about things I knew little about (but was unaware of the extent of my ignorance). He begins by showing how human breeding of plants and animals would be impossible if evolution were not true (actually a Darwinian theme). His explanation of embryology is clear and nontechnical (using his "origami" metaphor). He explains how scientists assign dates by a variety of natural "clocks". Molecular Clocks have been shown to be non constant and erranous.
Molecular clock - on Opentopia, find out more about Molecular clock
He goes into a beautiful description of the mammalian skeleton across so many species. And all along the way he keeps pounding away at the favorite arguments of creationists--e.g. why convergent evolution is held out as evidence against evolution theory but actually corroborates it. The major evidence for evolution, of course, is DNA, not fossils. Dawkins explains why DNA represents such solid evidence, but the icing on the cake is that both the fossil record and methods of comparing DNA corroborate each other (Only in hindsight. eg hippo is not related to a pig but a whale. Thehuman Y chromosome is remarkably different to the chimp hence the requirement for accelerated evolution.) in such a way that the theory of evolution cannot be doubted. But the book is not really for creationists. It is for anyone who wants a good nontechnical introduction to biology. Actually there are very educated and credentialed persons that doubt the staus quo as being robust It is not just uneducated creationists that have problems. The chaos theory of evolution - life - 18 October 2010 - New Scientist

There are also creation scientists around. I am sure it is difficult for them to get funding for any project that flys in the face of TOE in any way.
Jonathan Sarfati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

newhope101

Andy's, my quote function's not happening...sorry

To find the answer to this perplexing question, I invite you to engage in an exercise in self-reflection.
Ask yourself these questions:
- "Why do I care so strongly about this one particular scientific theory and no others?"
I see evolutionists departing from the scientific requirement of irrefuteablility. The only example Dawkins could come up with is a precambrian mammal. A precambrian mammal does not mute any creationist ideas anyway. However this is all he could come up with. Other sciences have many avenues to test irrefufuteablilty.
- "I am not a scientist, so what emboldens me to take issue with the entire scientific community?" The fact that many credentialed scientists within the evolutionary fields have concerns from minor all the way to total inacceptance. It is an evolutionist ploy to make out only the uneducated and stupid are skeptical, to say the least. This line was already played out in another thread to no avail. However if you dispute I'll post heaps more. Sarfarti is just one of them. Hugely credentialed but does not accept the evidence for macroevolution.
- "And what drives me to care so much whether or not this theory is true?"

As I stated previously, just one reason is that TOE does not stand up to the rigours of the scientific method of irrefuteablility. Some one was right in saying been there done that debate numerous times.

You need to understand what this all looks like from outside the evolutionary fishbowl. Take birds for example. Common thinking suggests they decend from dinos. There is now great evidence they didn't. It appears quite comical from the outside the way evo researchers are so happy with the current evidence that they seek alternative hypothesis and compile an excellent refute to any status quo of common thinking. Don't forget we were decendant from knuckle walkers not that long ago!

From memory, I do not believe the theories for gravity and other sciences change so much. Rather real science is tweaked a little not turned up side down with totally opposing hypothesis. That is the difference, to me anyway.

"Feathered" Dinosaur Was Bald, Not Bird Ancestor, Controversial Study Says
Theropod Dinosaurs Evolved Into Birds? Not Likely, Says Study.

newhope101

Lasion Quote:
We HAVE observed :
* new base pairs, no you haven't, just recombination
* new genes No you haven't, only duplications of old ones.
* new features No you have found that similar morphology means squat re ancestry. eg hippo and pig.
* new species You have shown somatic adaptation that no creationist disagrees with. In fact your attempts to show any sort of macroevolution was legs growing off heads in drosophila and that 70% of mutations are harmful. Other research with 600 generations of drosophila would not set an allele for 'advanced development" and stated that it is less likely to occur in the wild. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v467/n7315/full/nature09352.html

I believe so called 'new genes' are simply duplications of what God already provided in the initial creations. There are no new genes, only duplications you call new genes.

A comparative demonstration is the human chimp comparison. Depending on method one can get all sorts of comparisons like 1% or 6% difference. Another study cited 30% when a holistic comparison is done.

Results from the human and chimp genome analyses should help in understanding some human diseases. Humans appear to have lost a functional caspase-12 gene, which in other primates codes for an enzyme that may protect against Alzheimer's disease. Figures published in Nature on September 1, 2005, in an article produced by the Chimpanzee Sequencing and Analysis Consortium, show that 24% of the chimpanzee genome does not align with the human genome. There are 3% further alignment gaps, 1.23% SNP differences, and 2.7% copy number variations totaling at least 30% differences between chimpanzee and Homo sapiens genomes.

Chimpanzee genome project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do new functions arise by gene duplication?

I think researchers approach most scientific fields with the mind of true enquiry. However in relation to TOE it is a preconceived notion that is reflected in all models and hypothesis. It is a shame the same open mind of enquiry does not extend across the sciences. Hence I believe evolutionary science is unlike other theoretical assertions in that it has presumed at least one priori in advance..all life is connected by ancestry.

If all you wish to see is ancestry, no matter what you find, then you will never be able to see the truth, no matter what your research tells you.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically

you cannot refute this [above] by quote mining in a poor poor way newhope

give it up, you have lost all credibility a long long time ago

lunamoth

Will to love
creationist
creationistcreationist
creationcreationist
createionscreationist
creationlionscreationist
eatlionscreationist
eatlionscreationtist
atlionscreationtest
athionscreationest
athionscreatiest
athinoscreatiest
athinoscreatest
athieoscreatest
athiescreatest
athiestreatest
athiestest
athiest

Copernicus

Quote Frank Merton;"think that Newhope has the capacity to understand the book, and it is hard to believe that anyone who gets through it would come out the other end with a shred of doubt that evolution theory is established beyond all reasonable doubt. But, if Newhope's mind were open to objective evidence, he would long ago have abandoned creationism. He won't read such books.
BTW,he is a she. The evidence that is provided has conflicting research in many cases. I think to have a realistic opinion one must acknowledge all research, even that which appears uncomforatable at the time.
Good point! I suppose that it is also fair to point out that you were quoting me, not Frank Merton. ;) That is a wonderful statement, but you clearly do not practice what you preach. You only listen to one side. Dawkins has carefully studied creationists' distortions of the research, and he exposes them for the nonsense that they really are.

Look, I hold no illusions that you will consider the evidence. One of the things that inspired Dawkins to write his book was a TV interview he got hooked into by a fundamentalist. She pointed out that she had visited a lot of museums and had seen no fossil evidence that we were evolved apes. Dawkins, quite stunned, kept repeating that the fossils were there. He named them. He cited other evidence. No matter what he said, she simply acted as if he had said nothing. That is classic argumentum ad nauseam--ignore all counterevidence and simply repeat your claims.

Molecular Clocks have been shown to be non constant and erranous. [/I]
Dawkins addresses that phony objection in great detail. He explains how they work and why we have the level of confidence in them that they do. That confidence comes from the fact that they can be cross-checked against each other and verified by independent means. Again, you will repeat what you have heard, but you will not check your facts. For example, your link on "molecular clocks" (but one of the many clocks that Dawkins described) actually supports the conclusion that those clocks have demonstrated reliability, although someone not checking the link would easily be fooled into thinking it supported your claim. Dawkins explains in detail how they work and why we consider them reliable.

...Dawkins explains why DNA represents such solid evidence, but the icing on the cake is that both the fossil record and methods of comparing DNA corroborate each other (Only in hindsight. eg hippo is not related to a pig but a whale. Thehuman Y chromosome is remarkably different to the chimp hence the requirement for accelerated evolution.) in such a way that the theory of evolution cannot be doubted...
What?!? :eek: Do my eyes deceive me, or did you just admit that whales and hippos are related? You can only arrive at that conclusion if you buy off on the theory of evolution. Of course, whales and pigs also have a common ancestor. It is just that the whales' common ancestor with hippos was more recent on the geologic time scale. Anyway, I am a bit stunned that you seem to accept one claim by evolutionists in order to criticize a straw man. Fascinating.

But the book is not really for creationists. It is for anyone who wants a good nontechnical introduction to biology. [/I]Actually there are very educated and credentialed persons that doubt the staus quo as being robust It is not just uneducated creationists that have problems. The chaos theory of evolution - life - 18 October 2010 - New Scientist
Gosh, I love it when you cite articles that support evolution 100%, but quibble with something some researcher has said about how it occurs. Science is different from religion. It is open to challenge. That article did not attack evolution theory, but it did say that the process was more chaotic than imagined by Darwin. I could see nothing in the article that Dawkins might object to other than the author's depiction of what Darwin believed. (Dawkins is the modern version of "Darwin's Bulldog".) By juxtaposing these "very educated and credentialed persons" with "creationists", you give the false impression that the two groups have something in common. They do not. This is the same technique that has been used by creationists to frame Stephen Jay Gould's evolution-friendly idea of "punctuated equilibrium" as an attack on evolution theory rather than simply an alternative proposal to Darwinian gradualism. It drove Gould crazy that his work was abused in that way, and he made that quite clear before he died.

There are also creation scientists around. I am sure it is difficult for them to get funding for any project that flys in the face of TOE in any way.
Jonathan Sarfati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sarfati's expertise is in physical chemistry, not biology, and it is not difficult for so-called "creation scientists" to get funding. They get it from tax-exempt religious sources and private individuals with too much money. The reason that they fail to get it from more conventional sources for scientific research is that they do not do science. They write papers that cannot get published for lack of scientific merit, and they nitpick at the work of other scientific findings as if the nitpicking were genuine research.

Last edited:

Iasion

creationist
creationistcreationist
creationcreationist
createionscreationist
creationlionscreationist
eatlionscreationist
eatlionscreationtist
atlionscreationtest
athionscreationest
athionscreatiest
athinoscreatiest
athinoscreatest
athieoscreatest
athiescreatest
athiestreatest
athiestest
athiest

It's amazing how many people cannot spell 'atheist' - even though it's endlessly used on this forum.

Iasion