• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is "Bad" Science?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
This case of institutional failure makes me wonder how well peer review can play its vaunted role in the practice of science. All quotes below come from this article: "Get Me Off Your ****ing Mailing List" is an actual science paper accepted by a journal

The paper .. titled "Get me off your ****ing mailing list," was accepted by the International Journal of Advanced Computer Technology.

The journal, despite its distinguished name, is a predatory open-access journal, as noted by io9. These sorts of low-quality journals spam thousands of scientists, offering to publish their work for a fee.

In 2005, computer scientists David Mazières and Eddie Kohler created this highly profane ten-page paper as a joke, to send in replying to unwanted conference invitations. It literally just contains that seven-word phrase over and over, along with a nice flow chart and scatter-plot graph:
mailing list 1

According to the blog Scholarly Open Access, this PDF made the rounds, and an Australian computer scientist named Peter Vamplew sent it to the International Journal of Advanced Computer Technology in response to spam from the journal. Apparently, he thought the editors might simply open and read it.
Instead, they automatically accepted the paper — with an anonymous reviewer rating it as "excellent" — and requested a fee of $150.

Spoiler please, good sir. Spoilers are your friend.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
No, he wasn't.

Sorry, Bro. The data is against you. At this point, you have demonstrated an extremely low standard when it comes to facts and figures.

This is discussion is going nowhere.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Everything, because the claim it was a Hebrew Temple is based on the claim it was based on the Solomon temple, which there is no evidence it ever existed,

The data you posted was not about Temple Tel Arad.

You're in hardcore denial mode.

Simple questions:

1) Have you read the excavation report from Tel Arad? Yes or No?
2) You are assuming that the Temple was Canaanite but you have NO DATA AT ALL about the excavation site? Yes or No?

Argentbear

No, he wasn't.

Data compiled by the Office of National Statistics (ONS) in the U.K. had shown that children who received the Covid vaccine were 4,423 percent (over 44 times) more likely to die than children who did not get the shot.

Talk about bad science.

During the six month time frame looked at the Covid Vaccine was only given to children and adolescents who were "clinically vulnerable" such as immune suppressed youths and those with severe neuro-disability, severe or profound and multiple learning disabilities and children with significant comorbid diagnoses such as cancer. This means mortality rates were deceptively high for triple-vaccinated children because clinically vulnerable children were vastly overrepresented

Ebionite

mortality rates were deceptively high for triple-vaccinated children because clinically vulnerable children were vastly overrepresented
The original deception here is that the mRNA shots were sold as being safe and effective when they were neither of those things.

Ebionite

Don't know how you attributed that to me -- it wasn't. It was @shunyadragon.
Yes, I started replying to you and diverted to him. Getting back to your argument:

The Pentateuch is not "documentation." It is an invention by a people trying to establish an origin story for themselves. The Israelites ARE Canaanites, who imagined for themselves are different god and then had to explain why.
The origin story is verified by it's prophetic nature. The Isrealites did adopt some Canaanite practices, but this resulted in many of them losing their identity in the diaspora.

Ebionite

This case of institutional failure makes me wonder how well peer review can play its vaunted role in the practice of science. All quotes below come from this article: "Get Me Off Your ****ing Mailing List" is an actual science paper accepted by a journal

The paper .. titled "Get me off your ****ing mailing list," was accepted by the International Journal of Advanced Computer Technology.

The journal, despite its distinguished name, is a predatory open-access journal, as noted by io9. These sorts of low-quality journals spam thousands of scientists, offering to publish their work for a fee.

In 2005, computer scientists David Mazières and Eddie Kohler created this highly profane ten-page paper as a joke, to send in replying to unwanted conference invitations. It literally just contains that seven-word phrase over and over, along with a nice flow chart and scatter-plot graph:
mailing list 1

According to the blog Scholarly Open Access, this PDF made the rounds, and an Australian computer scientist named Peter Vamplew sent it to the International Journal of Advanced Computer Technology in response to spam from the journal. Apparently, he thought the editors might simply open and read it.
Instead, they automatically accepted the paper — with an anonymous reviewer rating it as "excellent" — and requested a fee of $150.
****ing awesome.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Yes, I started replying to you and diverted to him. Getting back to your argument:

The origin story is verified by it's prophetic nature. The Isrealites did adopt some Canaanite practices, but this resulted in many of them losing their identity in the diaspora.
If you are really interested in the truth, you should perhaps read The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts, a book by Israel Finkelstein, Professor of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University, and Neil Asher Silberman, an archaeologist, historian and contributing editor to Archaeology Magazine.

Finkelstein and Silberman argue that instead of the Israelites conquering Canaan after the Exodus (as suggested by the book of Joshua), most of them had in fact always been there; the Israelites were simply Canaanites who developed into a distinct culture.

Whateverist

I'd like to compile a list of indicators of "bad" science, particularly the poor methods and deceptive practices in use by religious people attempting to misuse and or abuse the label "science" to fraudulently assert credibility and to attack the skeptics and critics of their so-called scientific conclusions

I failed to read the fine print again. What I answered was in the service of knocking science down a peg to prevent it attaining sacred cow status. Of course fundamentalists will welcome a chance to bash science in defense of their literal Bible interpretations, but attacking them is like shooting fish in a barrel. Not worth the time.

Science is actually the gold standard for answering empirical questions and Im a big fan - where it applies, is done well and reported fairly. When it isn’t I will call it out in the defense of science.

Last edited:

Ebionite

If you are really interested in the truth, you should perhaps read The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts, a book by Israel Finkelstein, Professor of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University, and Neil Asher Silberman, an archaeologist, historian and contributing editor to Archaeology Magazine.

Finkelstein and Silberman argue that instead of the Israelites conquering Canaan after the Exodus (as suggested by the book of Joshua), most of them had in fact always been there; the Israelites were simply Canaanites who developed into a distinct culture.
Proof of the truth of the divine would naturally be found in phenomena that can't reasonably be explained by mundane causes. Archaeology is the wrong discipline for that and history, while useful, is not a great fit.