• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Christianity, and what makes a Christian a Christian?

idav

Being
Premium Member
The whole conclusion of this matter is What someone else thinks is a Christian and what the person who believes themselves to be a Christian is not open to anyones opinion except it is between the "Christian" and God.

If I say I'm a Christian, end of story I don't have to justify my beliefs to anyone it is a personal relationship and If God is happy, and I'm happy then everything is great. ;)
Good points.

I believe that words have meaning-- you don't just get to make up definitions in order to be all-inclusive. The core beliefs of Christianity have been largely defined by the past 2000 years of existence. These beliefs are what is important in determing the definition, not merely the fact that Jane Doe decides to call herself a Christian.

I think my definition of Christianity is about as general and inclusive as you can get, while still making a meaningful distinction.

What of atheist Christians? Or the example I gave back on page 1?

Besides, you don't really define Chrisitianity by saying it's simply the "religion for all the people who call themselves Christians." That just begs the question: What is a Christian?

To be clear, it's more of the intellectual concept of what constitutes Christianity that interests me, not the ability to go around saying "You're not a real Christian, so ha!".
It doesn't have to rely on the beliefs that have evolved over thousands of years. What is important is what was originally believed by the character Jesus in all documents we have on the myth. We know things were lost we know things were burned but whatever. If anyone goes by writings of Jesus they are going by someones opinion of Jesus like if the writings are from Paul or whoever. What the opinions of the original writers of Jesus were is debateable but it is what we have on the character and people draw their own conclusions on who Jesus is supposed to be. Everybody throws the lukewarm verse at each other and nobody agrees on what it symbolises. Jesus is supposed to hate the non-real christians and it sounds like we wouldn't even know it.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It doesn't have to rely on the beliefs that have evolved over thousands of years.
How else do you define a religion, if not by their beliefs?
idav said:
What is important is what was originally believed by the character Jesus in all documents we have on the myth. We know things were lost we know things were burned but whatever. If anyone goes by writings of Jesus they are going by someones opinion of Jesus like if the writings are from Paul or whoever. What the opinions of the original writers of Jesus were is debateable but it is what we have on the character and people draw their own conclusions on who Jesus is supposed to be. Everybody throws the lukewarm verse at each other and nobody agrees on what it symbolises. Jesus is supposed to hate the non-real christians and it sounds like we wouldn't even know it.
I'm not talking details. Of course those are going to change, mutate, evolve over time. But there has to be a core belief, otherwise, you're not talking about a distinct religion.

For Christianity, I think the core belief is that Jesus provides the means for reconciliation with God. What is more fundamental to this religion? That's the entire point. The rest of it is just details in how that reconciliation is to be carried out. Of those, I think the most important are the two commandments that Jesus described as most important (duh): Love God, and love your neighbor.

Last edited:

Straw Dog

It's come up several times in discussions and debates on this forum. People will be arguing about Christianity without having a set definition. I have seen people claim that Christianity is accepting the entire Bible as fact, only the New Testament, only the Gospels, and some strip it down even less than that.

What I want to know is, what is the bare-bones definition of Christianity? The definition that if you do not adhere to it you cannot legitimately call yourself a Christian. Must you believe Jesus existed? That he still exists? That the Bible is true? Must you believe in God? Does the story of the virgin birth matter? Etc.

Anyone who answers, please check your answer for any hidden suppositions and add them to your answer. I'm tired of people posting oversimplified definitions.

According to the U.S. Census, a Christian is anyone whom believes that they are a Christian. I don't know that any one sect or denomination or creed can claim absolute authority on the label given the diversity of views of people that fall under the label of "Christianity". I mean if you're going to go with the "reconciliation for sin" or "trinity" dogma then you're cutting a lot of people out that honestly believe they are Christians. As an outsider to the faith, I don't feel like I have a right to call some people "True" Christians and others not. This seems to only be a product of people on the inside of the religion wishing to alienate and ostracize Christians with a different dogma.

Last edited:

lunamoth

Will to love
A Christian is someone who believes that the clearest understanding we have of God was found in the person of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Straw Dog

A Christian is someone who believe that the clearest understanding we have of God was found in the person of Jesus Christ.

Nice. I think I like your definition since it includes everyone that considers themselves a Christian in real society without limiting certain denominations and sects that differ from mainstream dogma.

Walkntune

What I want to know is, what is the bare-bones definition of Christianity
It means to be Christlike. We are changed into his image from glory to glory by the Spirit. Not by biblical interpretations but from Holy Spirit convictions.

Onkara

Does it mean that to be Christian someone does not have to believe in the immaculate conception and the resurrection?

SCHIZO

It's come up several times in discussions and debates on this forum. People will be arguing about Christianity without having a set definition. I have seen people claim that Christianity is accepting the entire Bible as fact, only the New Testament, only the Gospels, and some strip it down even less than that.

What I want to know is, what is the bare-bones definition of Christianity? The definition that if you do not adhere to it you cannot legitimately call yourself a Christian. Must you believe Jesus existed? That he still exists? That the Bible is true? Must you believe in God? Does the story of the virgin birth matter? Etc.

Anyone who answers, please check your answer for any hidden suppositions and add them to your answer. I'm tired of people posting oversimplified definitions.

The barest answer I could imagine a Christian to be is someone who believes in the Truth. If God fits into that truth, verywell, but anything that is the Truth reigns over everything else. If Christ is the significance of that truth then it would be fair to say that the Truth is a Christian idea. However, I'm a Gnostic and I do not agree that everything in the bible is the truth, neither do I agree that everything in the gnosis is the truth. I think the bible and the gnosis are sources of truth, inspirations in conceiving truth. Without truth, faith is a lie, practice is a lie. It comes to the barest necessity that truth becomes best answer I can give on what a Christian is.

A

angellous_evangellous

A Christian is someone who believes that the clearest understanding we have of God was found in the person of Jesus Christ.

Excellent.

I would say "A Christian is someone who experiences God through Jesus Christ."

That way it doesn't imply that a Christian has to believe that all other ways of experiencing God are "less clear."