• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Christianity, and what makes a Christian a Christian?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I'm down with that. It makes sense.

My only quibble, then, is that "living one's life wherein Jesus is the impetus" is still pretty ambiguous. The fact we can and do reject completely oddball ways in which people claim to be following Jesus, it means that we still are drawing a line somewhere, where this is "legitimate" Jesus following, and therefore, legitimate Christianity, and this is not legitimate.
Unless those "oddball" ways represent cultural differences. I'm not convinced that there is such a thing as "legitimate" or "illegitimate" Xy, except where there's a blatant disregard for love and openness, which lie at the foundation of what Jesus asks us to do.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What if someone calls themselves a Christian yet does everything against His teachings in the Gospels? Is that person still a Christian? (I am not going to say, since I don't want to judge anyone inadvertently). ;):D

sojourner

What if someone calls themselves a Christian yet does everything against His teachings in the Gospels? Is that person still a Christian? (I am not going to say, since I don't want to judge anyone inadvertently). ;):D
Jesus addresses that: Not everyone who says, "Lord, Lord..."

idav

Being
Premium Member
Jesus addresses that: Not everyone who says, "Lord, Lord..."
Jesus might be the best judge for what a christian is. There will be lots of suprised people if he tells them to their face they aren't real christians.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Jesus might be the best judge for what a christian is. There will be lots of suprised people if he tells them to their face they aren't real christians.

Probably. I just hope I am not one of them. :eek: But only God knows our hearts. :)

sojourner

Plus, we would do well to remember that God isn't looking for perfect people. Just people who are perfectly human.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Probably. I just hope I am not one of them. :eek: But only God knows our hearts. :)

we know our own thoughts and actions

the best test for ourselves is if our thoughts and actions are in harmony with love. Thats what we should be working towards.

NeilPye

The Heretic
[youtube]9XL8LvaJ9Rc[/youtube]
This video sums up my beliefs nicely, my beliefs being those of a Non-religious Christian

"The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." - John 10:10

That is the basis of my faith.

To enhance the lives of others and to love wastefully, to love without discretion, regardless of whether they deserve or not. That is my goal in life as a Christian, that I can love wastefully.

A Christian loves wastefully and believes in the central tenets of Jesus Christ - love your enemies, turn the other cheek, be the light in the world of darkness.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Then to be a Christian you must believe in hell and sin. What is sin, and what is Hell?

In my belief, sin is a failure to trust God. When people stop trusting God, they turn away from Him and sin. And hell is a place of fire created for Satan, his demons, and people who do not know Jesus as their Friend, God, Lord, and Savior.

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
In my belief, sin is a failure to trust God. When people stop trusting God, they turn away from Him and sin. And hell is a place of fire created for Satan, his demons, and people who do not know Jesus as their Friend, God, Lord, and Savior.
Then Christians must also believe in Satan, in demons, and that God allows for the torment of not only them but also humans who can survive death. Who is Satan, and what are demons? How does a human survive death?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Well, basically a Christian is anyone who follows the teachings of Christ, or what they believe are his teachings.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Well, basically a Christian is anyone who follows the teachings of Christ, or what they believe are his teachings.
As I have said before, if the interpretation of the teachings is left up to the individual, are two people who claim to be Christians yet interpret scriptures to oppose each other's still both Christians? Is one of them wrong?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
As I have said before, if the interpretation of the teachings is left up to the individual, are two people who claim to be Christians yet interpret scriptures to oppose each other's still both Christians? Is one of them wrong?

It's up to the individual, look at how many denominations there are.