• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God, from a non-human perspective?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Ok, let's ask God then...

God could you define yourself for us?

Now we just have to wait for His response....

He told me to tell you that he's a psychological coping mechanism. Not really sure what that means - just passing along the message.

Just_me_Mike

I thought I heard a response, it was something like... Sorry the finite can not understand the infinite. In due course you will understand.

More ambiguity!

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk

Well, SHE told me that She is a lying trickster who often times misleads people simply for the comedy of it, especially atheists like Kilgore Trout.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When you define God, it is always with your bias, experience, notions, culture etc...

Why can we not define God in such a way that excludes our inner feelings, thoughts, observations about what we hope, think, or dream God to be?
There are all sorts of definitions of what a god is. Even in terms of a creator deity, there are a variety of definitions.

These definitions range from the specific to the maddeningly vague. A specific example would be some old man in the sky that tallies the fall of every sparrow. A vague example would be "god is the universe" or "god is energy".

In my view, the definition of a deity must include some sort of consciousness, otherwise there is a better word to describe it. For instance, if god is the universe and is not conscious, I'd prefer to just call it the universe. I reserve the definition of a deity to correspond to some kind of almighty consciousness.

If indeed an almighty consciousness exists, then by definition it has similarities to humans (or more accurately, the opposite way), because it has a consciousness and we have consciousnesses. A human is basically a body that has consciousness that includes both reason and emotion in varying styles of balance. If a deity has consciousness, then it may or may not have reason or emotion, but without either of those two things, it is just a blank awareness.

So basically long story short, I think a god inevitably involves human characteristics because the entire concept was made in the image of what we are. We are conscious things and a god is a hypothetical conscious things except more powerful and primordial.

-Lyn

ellenjanuary

God is the drive of life to live. Humans interact with the god concept by providing a self for that consciousness. And life is merely the natural balance against entropy. Simple math, really. :D

Last edited:

ellenjanuary

Pretty much every physics institution would like to see your "simple math" for that conclusion. :p

There's a book in the works tentively entitled Number Made Flesh... :D

But it was research into the Anthropic Principle where I ran across working physicists proposing that, rather than forbidding life, entropy demands life. As for god, one need merely equate terms like "life" and "universe" to "god" to see that "reproduction" is mandated; and to reproduce a universe seems to require "self-aware intelligences." We can already dream it, write it, theorize it; just a matter of time before we can do it.

TheWhiteRabbit

I have the need to have this question answered in a mature and controlled enviroment. First of all I don't mean to offend anyone or annoy any one I simply have a question that I think deserves an answer.

If God undoubtidly exists, if he it is so obvious that he exists if it so un-questionable that he exists, then why do people question him any way?

thank you for your help.

Druswid

Truly, nobody can really define God, or gods. Religion is simply humanity trying to put the great mystery of existence into a box and put a recognizable face onto it. That isn't to say that God or multiple gods don't exist, but if they're there, He or they are almost certainly nothing like people have described Him or them to be. I mean, think about it. Why, of all things to look like, would God choose to look like a person? This is supposedly the creator of the entire known and unknown universe, a being which has limitless potential, limitless power, and can't even be comprehended. A human being is limited. Saying that man looks like God or that God looks like man... it's all just trying to make the unknown knowable, and you can't do that.

Just_me_Mike

I have the need to have this question answered in a mature and controlled enviroment. First of all I don't mean to offend anyone or annoy any one I simply have a question that I think deserves an answer.

If God undoubtidly exists, if he it is so obvious that he exists if it so un-questionable that he exists, then why do people question him any way?

thank you for your help.
Simple, because our minds contemplate such things, and because they do, we figure there might be some truth to the things our minds can come up with. Although our minds can come up with pokadotted fairies, which probably don't exist.

When you define God, it is always with your bias, experience, notions, culture etc...

Why can we not define God in such a way that excludes our inner feelings, thoughts, observations about what we hope, think, or dream God to be?

The 66 books of the Old and New Testaments tell us all that God wants us to know about Himself in this life. It is written in the language of men. That is how we are to understand Him in this life. Here is a sampling:

God is holy. God is three Persons - Father, Son and Holy Spirit, yet One God- three times Holy! God is love. God is righteous; He does right. God is just; He rules with justice. God is merciful. God is pure light. God is truth. God is perfect in knowledge, in wisdom and in power. God is eternal. God is omniscient. God is omnipotent, sovereign over all His creation. God is omnipresent. I have just barely scratched the surface.

It is possible to know God in this life, through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. If you repent of your sins, confessing your sins to God and turning away from your sins, repudiating your sins from the heart, turning unto Jesus Christ in faith, then God will forgive all your sins and baptize you with the Holy Spirit - God Himself will take up residence in you!

Only then will you know God, and if you know Him, the Holy Spirit will teach you that now (in this life) we know only partially, but when we are glorified, we shall know Him completely, for we will see Him with our own eyes, and we will see Him exactly as He is! We will behold His glory with perfect knowledge, and we shall be like Him! Not in His deity, but in His glorification and purity. Truly amazing!

The 66 books of the Old and New Testaments tell us all that God wants us to know about Himself in this life. It is written in the language of men. That is how we are to understand Him in this life.
I think you have missed the entire point of the thread. The OP was looking for Xenophanean type of conception.

a²+b² = c²;2137363 said:
I think you have missed the entire point of the thread. The OP was looking for Xenophanean type of conception.

Even so, what does it matter to imagine false notions of God? You cannot know who or what God is in any other way that is beneficial to you, for your redemption and salvation, except through His Divine revelation of Himself in the Bible. I have no desire to feed lies to men, according to their itching ears. There are many who wait in line to do so. But we ought to obey God rather than men.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
You cannot know who or what God is in any other way that is beneficial to you, for your redemption and salvation, except through His Divine revelation of Himself in the Bible.
Not even that. God could be testing to see who is the most gullible, for all you know.