• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is inaccurate with those communities who bring offerings to a sculpture?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They follow God's instruction, I don't think bowing to sculptures was instructed by God,
hence the question why they do it till today.
I'm happy you're not living 500 years ago, because back then of Islam destroyed an estimated 100 000 Hindu temples over this concept. Still we Hindus have persisted. These days in most countries you'd be arrested for taking action on these thoughts.

Still, this Buddhas of Bamiyan - Wikipedia happened only 15 years ago. What a tragedy, the senseless destruction of ancient monuments.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I'm happy you're not living 500 years ago, because back then of Islam destroyed an estimated 100 000 Hindu temples over this concept. Still we Hindus have persisted. These days in most countries you'd be arrested for taking action on these thoughts.

Still, this Buddhas of Bamiyan - Wikipedia happened only 15 years ago. What a tragedy, the senseless destruction of ancient monuments.

Is it men invention, my question is, were sculptures made by men or it was
instructed by God, if by men then why the need to bow for these sculptures,
don't take it personally, we're discussing and nothing else.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Can you prove that your instructions are from Almighty God?

Regardless, if in a case that I am sure it's men invention as some bowing
for sculptures for no reason, then why they need to, compared to Muslims
case, being in doubt is different than being sure.

buddhist

Regardless, if in a case that I am sure it's men invention as some bowing
for sculptures for no reason, then why they need to, compared to Muslims
case, being in doubt is different than being sure.
That doesn't answer my question as to proving that your instructions are from an Almighty God.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
That doesn't answer my question as to proving that your instructions are from an Almighty God.

It does, being sure is different than being in doubt.
If God doesn't ask for bowing to sculptures then why we need to,
IOW if I am sure it's by men such as in Buddhism then why I need to.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
In late 90's. I'm not sure how things are now but I think it's the same or worse. The prices are higher. Before the civil war, the currency used to be 8 to 1 dollar and now it's 27 to 1 dollar. The average monthly salary is $200. To heat up the house at winter costs about 100$ a month I hear
When you say Civil War are you talking about the Ukrainians against the Russian autonomy movement in the east and Crimea?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Is it men invention, my question is, were sculptures made by men or it was
instructed by God, if by men then why the need to bow for these sculptures,
don't take it personally, we're discussing and nothing else.
I'm not taking it personally, but apparently those who destroyed statues in the past did. When words become action, it is a sign of taking it personally, no?

As to your question, the Saiva Agamas, and other scriptures outline quite clearly the making of murthies as a channel to God, much like copper wire channels electricity. The Vedas and Agamas are divinely inspired. So from the Hindu POV ( I realise you won't understand this, but maybe some readers might) it is directly from God, not from man.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I'm not taking it personally, but apparently those who destroyed statues in the past did. When words become action, it is a sign of taking it personally, no?

As to your question, the Saiva Agamas, and other scriptures outline quite clearly the making of murthies as a channel to God, much like copper wire channels electricity. The Vedas and Agamas are divinely inspired. So from the Hindu POV ( I realise you won't understand this, but maybe some readers might) it is directly from God, not from man.

Does it make sense to you that sculptures connect us to God?,
does God really need a sculpture in order to connect with us?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Does it make sense to you that sculptures connect us to God?,
does God really need a sculpture in order to connect with us?
I personally don't use scripture much. My connection to God is through a metal and a stone statue, like a telephone. And for me, it works incredibly well.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Good, you should worship The Creator, not the creation.
In my school of Hinduism, more accurate terms for 'creation' is emanation, or extension. Siva the emanator, and what he emanates are one. God is all, and in all.

As to the phrase 'you should', why do some people feel it is their duty to give unsolicited advice. Do you feel God has made you my life coach, or something?

Marty

There is nothing "inaccurate" in idol worship, unless that one is desirous of being destroyed by God. Because such activities WILL result in a judgement of destruction, and there isn't any way around that if it continues.

buddhist

There is nothing "inaccurate" in idol worship, unless that one is desirous of being destroyed by God. Because such activities WILL result in a judgement of destruction, and there isn't any way around that if it continues.
:eek:

LOL!