• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is more important for the future well-being of humankind: Faith or Reason?

Faith or Reaon?

• Reason

Votes: 70 90.9%
  • Faith

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
It's a big ole' world. Good luck with finding someone who'll phrase things in your personally invented plain English meanings rather than theirs.

Interestingly, you just did. I just understood everything you said without having to ask what you meant. Now, what's different about every other post and this one?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Gloone

Why would you mention rhetoric in response to something vague?

The point of rhetoric is to communicate effectively -- which is the opposite of what's been occurring in this thread lately by some individuals.
Really. I haven't noticed. I just started following this thread a few posts back so thanks for filling me in. :sarcastic What kind of case of the crazies are we talking about here?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Really. I haven't noticed. I just started following this thread a few posts back so thanks for filling me in. :sarcastic What kind of case of the crazies are we talking about here?

Haha, well I don't think anyone is crazy. In any case the conversation's already ended with an agreement to disagree.

strikeviperMKII

Well, as I said, I took the time to cognize the system you were using. It's still irrational. So, again, good day to you; perhaps we'll meet up when we're talking about something rational or something unrelated to reason.

As my final point, I'd like to say that I never claimed it was rational. So finding that it was irrational was sort of expected.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Why are you still here, when you obviously cannot respect your audience? .

LOL at you.

Let me make this clear, respect is earned not given, but that a debate for another thread.

Second of all, that is quit an assumption. I have loads of respect for anyone willing to share perceptions with me.

I fail to see any relevance to what I posted. I wasn't directing to cognitive disability to anyone here, it was a simple example of how, dependance is not always as it seems. To return with such a comment is only an insult and is evident as not allowing yourself to try and understand my situation.

Please actually study some math before making a statement like that. 2+2=3+1=1+1+1+1=4 are all different expressions of the same value. Incidentally, logic is a subset of math..

They are all different values succumbing to one ultimate value. Logic is the foundation of perception. If things were not logical, then they would not exist.

Whats your point? You basically said the same thing I did. Or were you too busy trying to insult me rather than read what I actually said?

No, the green is the wrong shade of intelligent, thus the sleep never screwdrivers.

Heh, wrong shade of intelligent? I wasn't aware there was an orthodox form of intelligence. Excuse me for not automatically denying everything.

Orias

Left Hand Path
No such thing as clarity?

Psh, as if your mind is unable to comprehend abstract values and meanings of words.

Its not clear because you don't care to try and understand it?

Typical of Atheists to assume the role of Authortarian.

Why so serious? :sarcastic

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It's a big ole' world. Good luck with finding someone who'll phrase things in your personally invented plain English meanings rather than theirs.

She doesn't have personally invented English meanings. She uses the accepted meanings like about 90% of the U.S. does. It's really not hard to find people who use the correct and accepted definitions of most things. There just seems to be several on here that don't like to do that.

Zadok

Zadok
It is interesting how many define things and is hostile to simple logic. How could reason exist or happen if no one ever had faith in it? Faith and reason are compatible concepts not polar or diametric opposites. The problem of logic in understanding anything comes only by trying to use one without the other.

Zadok

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is interesting how many define things and is hostile to simple logic. How could reason exist or happen if no one ever had faith in it? Faith and reason are compatible concepts not polar or diametric opposites. The problem of logic in understanding anything comes only by trying to use one without the other.Zadok
One doesn't need faith in reason. Reason is demonstrably useful....no faith needed.

ellenjanuary

It's agenda, Z. For some, faith is a dirty word. Evenif they ascribe to a degree of faith, they ain't gonna admit it. Heck, I get the same way at times. Get myself into a hole and stay there. ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So then - You do not have faith in reason or that which is demostrably usefu?
I should clarify my definition of "faith" as strong belief in that which is not verifiable.
Reason is a tool which has been repeatedly verified as useful. So rather than "faith" in it, I have confidence.

While "faith" is sometimes used synonymously with "confidence", this thread is in a different context.
Example:
I have confidence that the sun will rise tomorrow, based upon the fact that his so repeatedly & reliably done so.
Another person would have faith that Muhammad is the prophet of Allah, solely because a book said so.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It is interesting how many define things and is hostile to simple logic. How could reason exist or happen if no one ever had faith in it? Faith and reason are compatible concepts not polar or diametric opposites. The problem of logic in understanding anything comes only by trying to use one without the other.

Zadok

Wait, you're not trying to say we're the ones hostile to simple logic, when it's actually you, are you?

You don't need faith in reason. Reason works. You don't need to believe in reason without evidence for its existence, and you don't even need to trust in it or have confidence in it. So, there is no definition of faith you can insert to make it required for reason.

Faith and reason are not compatible concepts. They are opposites.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It's agenda, Z. For some, faith is a dirty word. Evenif they ascribe to a degree of faith, they ain't gonna admit it. Heck, I get the same way at times. Get myself into a hole and stay there. ;)

:facepalm:

We use faith in the sense of confidence or trust, but not in the sense of "belief without evidence", which is the meaning of the word being used in this thread, and that is why it's being contrasted with reason which is the opposite.