• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Authority of the New Testament?

jimb

Premium Member
I'm not trying to prove that. Whether or no you consider it to be of value is irrelevant - the point is that some gospel quotes don't conform to the language used by the Septuagint and would most probably have originated from a proto-Masoretic text.

You have no basis to accuse me of lying.
Neither you nor your source can produce definitive evidence of what you are claiming. It is just your (and his) opinion (unless you are an authority on the "pure" Septuagint).

From wikipedia:
The 3rd century BCE is supported for the translation of the Pentateuch by a number of factors, including its Greek being representative of early Koine Greek, citations beginning as early as the 2nd century BCE, and early manuscripts datable to the 2nd century BCE. After the Torah, other books were translated over the next two to three centuries. It is unclear which was translated when, or where; some may have been translated twice (into different versions), and then revised. The quality and style of the translators varied considerably from book to book, from a literal translation to paraphrasing to an interpretative style.

The translation process of the Septuagint and from the Septuagint into other versions can be divided into several stages: the Greek text was produced within the social environment of Hellenistic Judaism, and completed by 132 BCE. With the spread of Early Christianity, this Septuagint in turn was rendered into Latin in a variety of versions and the latter, collectively known as the Vetus Latina, were also referred to as the Septuagint initially in Alexandria but elsewhere as well. The Septuagint also formed the basis for the Slavonic, Syriac, Old Armenian, Old Georgian, and Coptic versions of the Christian Old Testament.

I am not accusing you of lying. I am simply stating that you are wrong in your assumption. Lying is knowing the truth but deliberately stating otherwise. Why are you so touchy?

jimb

Premium Member
No, it doesn't mean that either. The facts are not as black and white as you make them out to be.
I am not the one who is making claims about the "facts" concerning the Septuagint. Biblical source documents and their use is NOT a clearly-defined issue, and the opinion of a physicist about the Septuagint must obviously be taken "with a grain of salt". Nobody, even the most qualified research scholars, have definitive answers.

I am not the one who is making the claim about the "facts"; you are. Don't you remember writing "some gospel quotes don't conform to the language used by the Septuagint and would most probably have originated from a proto-Masoretic text." (my emphases) That is a pretty vague statement, i.e., not hard facts.

jimb

Premium Member
Then your argument is defective. Ignoring the facts is a solid indication of a weak position.
Who taught you that??? Anyone who claims something as a fact when it is unprovable is detached from reality. Yes. That means you!

Read post #105 until you understand it (if that's even possible for you).

At least the physicist is honest!

---------

Read your own post #104! You wrote "the facts are not as black and white as you make them out to be" YOUR WORDS! You are clearly a hypocrite!

Last edited:

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
One simple question that has one simple answer.
History is the most reliable source for the New Testament.
That is like people who study social Science , which is also part of Science , but not Natural or Applied.
It has its own rules , and it is different from the above-mentioned.

But analysis show that people are ignorant of that.

jimb

Premium Member
Who taught you that??? Anyone who claims something as a fact when it is unprovable is detached from reality. Yes. That means you!

Read post #105 until you understand it (if that's even possible for you).

At least the physicist is honest!

---------

Read your own post #104! You wrote "the facts are not as black and white as you make them out to be" YOUR WORDS! You are clearly a hypocrite!
No. You clearly lack understanding of what I write. I am NOT contradicting myself.