• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the best argument for an atheist?

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
I don't think all the facepalms in the world are enough for this thread. However, I shall give it a good try. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I don't think all the facepalms in the world are enough for this thread. However, I shall give it a good try. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
epic_facepalm0.gif

waitasec

Veteran Member
gloone...

an argument = reasoning
reasoning = common sense
common sense= perception
perception= comprehension
comprehension = interpretation
interpretation = exposition
exposition = discussion
discussion = dialogue
dialogue = interchange
of which you have no interest in...

Gloone

gloone...

an argument = reasoning
reasoning = common sense
common sense= perception
perception= comprehension
comprehension = interpretation
interpretation = exposition
exposition = discussion
discussion = dialogue
dialogue = interchange
of which you have no interest in...

You are absolutely right. If I had a built-in feature for this thread it would be to prevent stupidity from seeping into it.

waitasec

Veteran Member
You are absolutely right. If I had a built-in feature for this thread it would be to prevent stupidity from seeping into it.

you realize what you are saying?
"come here, but don't come here"
what do you want?
you asked for an argument while choosing to dismiss them as stupidity.

what's the point? basically you are wasting your time...

Gloone

9-10ths_Penguin said:
When it comes right down to it, that's the only genuinely atheist argument that there is.

In one way of looking at it, atheism is the position that claims for theism have not met their burden of proof. The only way to counter this is to show that a claim for theism has met the burden of proof.

We can add to this, of course: for instance, I could say that you can't meet the burden of proof for your particular set of religious beliefs because they're false (and in making this claim, I'd be assuming a burden of proof of my own). But this sort of thing isn't necessary for atheism.
Okay, why do atheists feel as if they have been sent to this world to prove everyone that has faith and belief in god or a religion that they are wrong and not capable of thinking for themselves? Is that not prejudice? Because it does seem that way and prejudice can lead or relate to a number of things. Is there no bias in your argument either to say, “this sort of thing isn’t necessary for atheism?”
Do you think for no apparent reason at all, that religion doesn’t serve any real purpose in people’s lives? You should try to reevaluate your position and think again.
waitasec said:
you realize what you are saying?
"come here, but don't come here"
what do you want?
you asked for an argument while choosing to dismiss them as stupidity.

what's the point? basically you are wasting your time...
Did it ever occur to you that it might be atheists who are the ones with the petty arguments? - Like I have already stated in the OP. Are you sure it isn’t your comprehension level that is having a hard time being applied to this topic. Maybe you are stuck on the tangible and having a hard time thinking abstractly?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Did it ever occur to you that it might be atheists who are the ones with the petty arguments? - Like I have already stated in the OP. Are you sure it isn’t your comprehension level that is having a hard time being applied to this topic. Maybe you are stuck on the tangible and having a hard time thinking abstractly?

why do you consider it to be petty?

do you claim to have a relationship with an abstract ideal?

waitasec

Veteran Member
. Are you sure it isn’t your comprehension level that is having a hard time being applied to this topic.

the logic i circumscribe does not resonate to your reasoning, that's all.
why would that be petty? it's just different.

Gloone

the logic i circumscribe does not resonate to your reasoning, that's all.
why would that be petty? it's just different.
Really, because I would say it is the other way around. You are the one that is having a hard time following a conversation and doing some of the other things on your list.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Do you think for no apparent reason at all, that religion doesn’t serve any real purpose in people’s lives? You should try to reevaluate your position and think again.

You decry atheists' objections as petty and that they're not bringing anything to the table, etc., but I've never once see you give a reply other than essentially saying "that's stupid."

If you're going to freely call atheistic requests for evidence idiotic, can you at least humor us and provide epistemic justification for theism?

What is it about asking what the difference is between believing in invisible unicorns and believing in gods that's so obvious that we're stupid for asking? If it's so obvious and so simple, can you help us poor atheists work through it so we don't embarrass ourselves with such petty questions anymore?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Okay, why do atheists feel as if they have been sent to this world to prove everyone that has faith and belief in god or a religion that they are wrong and not capable of thinking for themselves? Is that not prejudice?
Let me get this. You make a false, stereotyped accusation against all atheists, and you're griping about our prejudice? Congratulations, you've just won the "most concise hypocrisy" award, for accusing other people of what you're doing within two sentences!

Gloone

Meow Mix said:
You decry atheists' objections as petty and that they're not bringing anything to the table, etc., but I've never once see you give a reply other than essentially saying "that's stupid."
Well when people are not making false assumptions about things, it is easier to carry on a conversation.
Meow Mix said:
If you're going to freely call atheistic requests for evidence idiotic, can you at least humor us and provide epistemic justification for theism?
Since when was it necessary for someone who freely chooses to believe in God or follow a certain religion explain why?
Autodidact said:
Let me get this. You make a false, stereotyped accusation against all atheists, and you're griping about our prejudice? Congratulations, you've just won the "most concise hypocrisy" award, for accusing other people of what you're doing within two sentences!
Aye, and the only difference is I’m original and you’re not.

Wotan

"Since when was it necessary for someone who freely chooses to believe in God or follow a certain religion [to] explain why? "

It is not NECESSARY. And IF you would rather not just SAY SO.

But you haven't done that. ALL you have done is posture and pout and whine that you are SO misunderstood.

Wotan

"Well when people are not making false assumptions about things, it is easier to carry on a conversation.'

Could you favor us with an example of a "false assumption?"