• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what is the best movie ever?

Rakhel

Oh man. Roadhouse. That movie was playing in the delivery room where my youngest daughter was born.
Dr., "Ah right! I get to delivery during Road house!"
Anesthesiologist, "Cool!! Gratuitous violence!"
Nurse," Yeah, and gratuitous sex!"

Venatoris

I am so angry right now.

I just saw a movie trailer for a remake of an excellent movie that only came out 2 years ago. The movie in question is the Swedish movie "Let the right one in" soon to be the bastardization "Let me in".

This isn't the first time in recent years that I have been angry at American film companies for buying up good ideas and ruining them(the office, death at a funeral). My big problem is that the original movie was spectacular and doesn't need to be remade at all. You can't improve on perfection by throwing a bigger budget at it. I think they're doing this solely for people who are to lazy or stupid to read subtitles. If you fall into this category, you don't deserve to watch a movie of this calibre at all.

AGH, I WANNA BITE SOMEONE IN THE FACE!

If you are reading this and you have an ounce of human decency, watch the original and don't touch the remake with a ten foot pole.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My husband likes Roadhouse, that movie with Patrick Swayze (if I were going to watch a Patrick Swayze film, it'd be Ghost). My husband also likes My Cousin Vinnie, and any Clint Eastwood film, particularly Dirty Harry films.

Were our husband's separated at birth?

Tie breaker - my husband will watch ANYTHING with John Wayne in it, even if it's not all that great a movie.

His father was killed in an oilfield accident when my husband was six. His dad was a manly man and also, according to all reports, very gallant and protective of his wife and kids. I think my husband's life long fascination with John Wayne is tied to his yearning for the ideals he believes his father exemplified.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Youngsters, seeing 2001 among modern sci fi movies might not be too impressed, but it was quite a revolutionary movie in its day.....no whooshing noises made by spacecraft, no theremin music, no silly stentorian speeches like, "Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!". The slow pacing is not
for fans of Michael Baysian noisefests, & I didn't care for the ending at all. But I still find it a joy to watch.....sober then, as now.

It's not seeing it among modern movies; it's just that it sucks. I know it was revolutionary, and for its day, it looks really good. However, that's not enough to make a movie good. I can do slow pacing. I like the Godfather and Deerhunter, for instance. But the pacing in 2001 is more than just slow; it's coma-inducing, and it's pointless. I get it. He's going out onto a wing of the ship to fix something. Instead of a 10-minute scene with no sound other than breathing to show him go out and fix something, try cutting it down to a 1-minute scene.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's not seeing it among modern movies; it's just that it sucks. I know it was revolutionary, and for its day, it looks really good. However, that's not enough to make a movie good. I can do slow pacing. I like the Godfather and Deerhunter, for instance. But the pacing in 2001 is more than just slow; it's coma-inducing, and it's pointless. I get it. He's going out onto a wing of the ship to fix something. Instead of a 10-minute scene with no sound other than breathing to show him go out and fix something, try cutting it down to a 1-minute scene.

"Good" & "bad" are in the eye of the beholder.
The things you hate are the very things I like.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
"Good" & "bad" are in the eye of the beholder.
The things you hate are the very things I like.

Yes, there are some weird people like you who find long, drawn-out scenes where nothing actually happens to be "good". Generally, people have to be high or drunk to enjoy such things, though.

Dezzie

My favorite movie of all-time is The Green Mile. I have never seen a movie quite like it before and no movie has ever affected me in the way this one did (and still does). I love the message in this movie... it brings me to tears every time I watch it. The one line from this movie that just kills me is this one: "Please Boss, don't put the thing over my face. I's afraid of the dark." If you have seen this movie, you should understand why that line makes me ball! I watched this movie for like the 5th time recently with my Husband. He has never seen me break down like I did during this film. As soon as the above line was said I said this: "Oh know!" and then balled lol He held me for a long time. I literally cried for like, an hour. I was sad for the rest of the night. I am also a HUGE fan of Steven King and Tom Hanks, so that's another reason why the movie is so great! :)

Another movie that I enjoyed greatly was The Knowing. I loved the ending of that movie. It was fantastic... and everything I dreamed of. :drool:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I know I don't care for a movie when I keep looking at my watch to see how long it has been on and if it is almost over. Good movies, like Indiana Jones and Star Wars, and Star Trek movies go fast. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know I don't care for a movie when I keep looking at my watch to see how long it has been on and if it is almost over. Good movies, like Indiana Jones and Star Wars, and Star Trek movies go fast. :D

I still remember seeing Star Wars when it first came out in 77. It was absolutely
amazing. Even though the effects are cheesy by today's standards, it still holds up.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Can someone explain to me why Fargo is such a good movie?

I don't think it's a bad movie. Rather, I think it's an interesting and good movie. But it seems to be unanimously LOVED by everyone. Film critics, regular movie fans- everyone adores this movie. I liked it, but I guess I completely miss why it's considered so excellent.

Well, the acting is wonderful: Frances McDormand, William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi. Although violent, it's morally uplifting. I thought the script was wonderful. It's a complete world, consistent, complete, interesting. I just find lines like, "Funny looking generally" hilarious. The plot unfolds perfectly and is resolved completely. Very satisfying.

btw I'm not generally a Coen brothers fan.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Were our husband's separated at birth?

Tie breaker - my husband will watch ANYTHING with John Wayne in it, even if it's not all that great a movie.

His father was killed in an oilfield accident when my husband was six. His dad was a manly man and also, according to all reports, very gallant and protective of his wife and kids. I think my husband's life long fascination with John Wayne is tied to his yearning for the ideals he believes his father exemplified.

Better not ruin it with the facts of John Wayne's life, a.o.t. the roles he played.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, the acting is wonderful: Frances McDormand, William H. Macy, Steve Buscemi. Although violent, it's morally uplifting. I thought the script was wonderful. It's a complete world, consistent, complete, interesting. I just find lines like, "Funny looking generally" hilarious. The plot unfolds perfectly and is resolved completely. Very satisfying.

btw I'm not generally a Coen brothers fan.

I see the same things, & also found it to be wonderfully hilarious. William H Macy as Jerry Lundegaard trying
to sell the TruCoat to the unwilling buyers is one of my favorite comedic performances of all time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5gwc4UizUc

Last edited:

Erebus

Like most people here, I can't decide on a single film, so I'll post a couple of my favourites.

Pan's Labyrinth - It's deep, haunting and moving. Somehow del Toro succeeded in combining fantasy, horror and war without any noticable transition, I honestly wasn't fazed when soldiers firing at each other in a forest gives way to a young girl running for her life from possibly the most horrific fantasy monster I've seen.

The Crow - Dark, poetic and with an amazing soundtrack. Also stars Brandon Lee, not much more needs to be said.

Donnie Darko - Watch it a few times and you'll notice so much more. Also I've never met anybody who wasn't disturbed by Frank the Bunny.

Mr Brooks - Very clever, excellent twists throughout and multi-faceted characters. It's odd that somehow the film get's you to sympathise more with the serial killer than with the police despite the heroism of the main detective.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Donnie Darko - Watch it a few times and you'll notice so much more. Also I've never met anybody who wasn't disturbed by Frank the Bunny.

That's another one I never understood. I watched it a year or two ago, and I was confused because I couldn't see any reason for it to be so well-received.

Also, a side note. I never understood Fargo either, but then I generally don't like the Coen brothers anyway.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Heh... I place Ghenghis Khan starring John Wayne pretty close to the Star Wars Holiday Special on this graph.

I got my fascination for the Great Escape from my Dad, but for different reasons.

As a part-time job in high school, my Dad was an usher in a movie theatre. He had to watch many awful movies over and over again (if you ever mentioned Fabian around him, he could go on and on about just how bad Ride the Wild Surf was). But he got to appreciate a few movies that could stand up to multiple viewings. The Great Escape was one of them - even though he saw it over and over and over again as a teenager, this probably made him like it more, and he'd watch it with me as a youngster.

BTW - my aunt also worked as an usher, but at a different cinema. The one where she worked was a single-screen theatre that only showed the Sound of Music for all two years she worked there. It's been more than 40 years, and she still can't watch that movie. :cover:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Last edited: