• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the biggest thing makes me convert to Hinduism?

ConfusedKuri

Namaste All,

The best thing anyone in doubt can do, IMHO, is figure out what you feel to be true in your heart. Sit down and write that out. Then look for what religious philosophies best match up. Make out a list of those faiths. Practice each of them. Give yourself enough time to feel it out and see if it helps you feel like you're achieving fulfillment (in whatever way you feel fulfillment should be for you). Then after you've practiced all of them, examine which one fits your emotional/mental disposition. Remember, the Divine (in any case) transcends these conceptual ideas of structured religious institutions we've created as human beings. One need not classify oneself a Hindu to obtain the realizations of the Rishis or Hindu sages. We are all the children of Divinity, the method doesn't matter as much as the goal. So don't lose sight of the goal (reaching that Fulfillment/Divinity).

Om Bhur Buvah Svaha Tat Savitur Varenyam Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi Dhiyo Yona Prachodayat!

~Kuva~

That is a great idea yar, I shall do that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It is my understanding, and I may be wrong, but it is quite hard to convert to Hinduism or at least a traditional Hinduism is it not? As a religious tradition, rather than a pure metaphysical school of thought, I believe it is bound up both with Indian culture and with the caste system. For one born outside a caste I think there are pathways, but they're not easy and some include following the path of the eremite. I certainly think you'd have to go to India.

This has not been my experience. Personally, I think its a myth perpetrated by those who wish it not to happen.

Kuvalya_Dharmasindhu

Nondualistic Bhakta
It is my understanding, and I may be wrong, but it is quite hard to convert to Hinduism or at least a traditional Hinduism is it not? As a religious tradition, rather than a pure metaphysical school of thought, I believe it is bound up both with Indian culture and with the caste system. For one born outside a caste I think there are pathways, but they're not easy and some include following the path of the eremite. I certainly think you'd have to go to India.

This has not been my experience. Personally, I think its a myth perpetrated by those who wish it not to happen.

IMHO, this also has not been my experience. The idea of needing to be born WITHIN the caste system is one that comes from only a partial understanding of the caste system itself. It is only in a cultural sense that caste can be used to mean that one person is better or "more Hindu" than another. From a spiritual perspective, your caste is determined by what job you undertake in the world. Therefore, if i decided to become a priest i would be JOINING the Brahmin class; if my duty lays within the military or in politics i could consider myself a Kshatriya... Additionally, our Dharma is universal not strictly associated with those born within India. No where in the scriptures does it say that one needs to be Indian in order to be a part of the Dharma. I think that when one decides that they want to enter certain Temples (which are owned/run by bigots who lack realization of the Whole) then it becomes difficult. But incorporating the basic principles and religious doctrines/patterns of behavior into your life is your own burden. It is not up to anyone else to approve. Things can be vastly different from the Western religions with respect to tradition. For example, the center of worship in Hindu based faiths is in your heart/home, not the temple. The latter is a place the average Hindu visits every now and then to make an offering and visit their Ishta/other forms of the One in a place it's said to be enshrined (like visiting God's home). We don't go there to listen to sermons...

*Pranams*

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Certainly there are those that adamantly declare you have to be born into it, but they are few and far between. I understand both sides of the temple admittance problem, if indeed its a problem at all. One can just walk away from said temple, but the reasons have more to them than bigotry. Many westerners (mostly tourists, not converts) simply do not understand the temple concept of purity, and the only 80% accurate method of telling who is a non-Hindu is skin colour. If there was some other method,they'd use it, but unfortunately there isn't. This leaves two groups problematic: legitimate converts or adoptives who happen to be white, and Indian non-Hindus wanting to take a look just for the sake of looking.

sentry

I've been following Islam for several years, I used to be extremely religious but now I'm losing my faith and I'm more and more drawin towards Hinduism.
if you don't mind me asking, how are your family and friends reacting your interest in hinduism(if they know about it)?
you mentioned somewhere else, that your ancestors were hindu.
Why did they convert to islam, and
regarding your interest in hinduism, is your family a little more open to the idea, since your ancestors were hindu?

ConfusedKuri

if you don't mind me asking, how are your family and friends reacting your interest in hinduism(if they know about it)?
you mentioned somewhere else, that your ancestors were hindu.
Why did they convert to islam, and
regarding your interest in hinduism, is your family a little more open to the idea, since your ancestors were hindu?

I posted an answer to your wall :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think that when one decides that they want to enter certain Temples (which are owned/run by bigots who lack realization of the Whole) then it becomes difficult.
*Pranams*

This is a difficult one. Often westerners don't understand sanctity rules, and the management of said temple have no way of 'screening' other than racial profiling. I don't like it either, but I've adapted. The temple I'm most familiar with in this regard is Madurai Meenakshi. Because of crowds and the potential of terrorism, EVERYONE is screened at the door. 'Foreigners' have to pay R50 entrance fee, but most foreigners are camera toters, not devotees. Of course this policy excludes two groups, NRIs and PIOs, and western legitimate devotees.

About 99% of the people respect the rules. I personally have had no problem entering beyond the 'Hindus only" sign, despite the color of my skin.

IMHO, The primary reason the policy is there is to maintain sanctity as per shastras, but an inevitable outcome is it can be viewed as racist.

Akhilesh

Anybody can embrace accept sanatan dharm hinduism.in indian history many people converted in hinduism.phdi indonesia and arya samaj is active in conversion.we are divine in nature ahm brahmasmi

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Akhilesh,
Sanatan Dharma embraces every forms including human.
Whatever one practices are all part of that eternal dharma!
Love & rgds

sadhak

Hi,
I'm agnostic, and I don't believe in any religion, but suddenly I asked myself: what if I were in the wrong side, why don't you recognize the other religions? But it is very hard to read about all religions, so I told myself that I'm a member in this forum and I do really respect it and respect the minds of their members, so I decided to ask this question in many religion sub-forums, and who knows maybe it will be a big change in my life.
Needless to say that many religions claim they are the right and we should worship in certain way.
So, if you want me to convert to your religion, what are the things that make me convinced to be a Hindu?
Thanks.

The truth is "there is no Hinduism". What we tend to call Hinduism is actually Sanatana Dharma. Its like a scale that measures the action of every living being in this world. The scale is applicable to you no matter whichever relegion you belong to. So no need to convert. You may already be high on the scale of Sanatan Dharma if you practice righteousness and unselfish action.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Eihab,

What is the biggest thing makes me convert to Hinduism?

Kindly do not do anything foolish.
Religion are paths to know the *self*.
Self gets revealed just by being AWARE/CONSCIOUS.
Finally when only consciousness is left, one is no more as a mind/ego.

Sanatan dharma or the eternal laws of existence gives full freedom to every being to do so in their own unique way without interference.

Love & rgds

sadhak

Friend Eihab,

Kindly do not do anything foolish.
Religion are paths to know the *self*.
Self gets revealed just by being AWARE/CONSCIOUS.
Finally when only consciousness is left, one is no more as a mind/ego.

Sanatan dharma or the eternal laws of existence gives full freedom to every being to do so in their own unique way without interference.

Love & rgds

Are you sure my friend that all religions are paths to know the self.
Perhaps most of the religions are paths to know the self but do their scriptures say it that way?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend sadhak,

Whatever do mention are personal understanding through reading, meditating and realizing to a small extent.

Am willing to try and clear any specific doubts but not in this DIR section.

Love & rgds

Cassandra

The truth is "there is no Hinduism". What we tend to call Hinduism is actually Sanatana Dharma. Its like a scale that measures the action of every living being in this world. The scale is applicable to you no matter whichever relegion you belong to. So no need to convert. You may already be high on the scale of Sanatan Dharma if you practice righteousness and unselfish action.
Well said. As I see it, Sanatan Dharma is the path of Dharma. Anyone on this path may consider himself a "Hindu", that is why there is no need for conversion. The path of Dharma is about rightful action rather than belief. It can be incorporated in any belief-system or culture as shown in the Ramayana by demons like Vibhishan and Mandodari. And also people may live in Hindu tradition without following the path of Dharma.

I think, conversion means you want to become part of a religious tradition (again) and this may prove harder if you are not born into it. Culture is like breathing, you are constantly unconsciously breathing its essence in and out. Like people no longer smell their own nest, most of culture seems too self-evident to notice. What outsiders see as culture is the more tangible, the outer layer. Due to past life experience Hindu culture may also come very natural to some people even if not born in Hindu culture this life. They may yearn to reconnect. And of course Hinduism comprises of many traditions, some are very open and welcome people to be part of it. If some traditions are more closed to protect their unique heritage we will also respect that. Hinduism celebrates diversity in every way.

Last edited:

Cassandra

The Vedas were not written down for a long time after they were composed. No evidence has been uncovered to show they had a script before 100 BC.

They devised clever schemes to organize and remember a lot of content with no loss in fidelity over time. European scholars were amazed to see Kashmiri Brahmins and South Indian Brahmins (though they all originally were the same, they have been separated for over a thousand years) chant the Rig Veda, the exact same way.
Yes remarkable

It is what verse and rhyme were made for. It pulls one line out of memory with another. In oral tradition stories remained unaltered, changes were made when written down! Especially during translations stories were altered.

Cassandra

And where do we learn of this 'rightful action' you speak of?
As I see it... There are many sources, devotion is the prime source. One of the great blessings of Hinduism is the worship of Deva's, higher beings that are themselves devoted to uphold Dharma and rightfulness, and glorious incarnations of God like Shri Ram and Shri Krishna who specifically bring Dharma. If you worship them they will lay thoughts in your mind and knowledge in your heart. Then we are inspired by great souls, first our Guru's including our parents but many others too. Then we hear nature that tells us many things if we care to listen. Then there is life we eat and whose lessons we taste. Then we drink culture that reflects Dharma in all its aspects, its language, its customs, its traditions, its institutions etc.. Then there is meditative thinking that opens new doors. Then we read scriptures from Sages like Ramayana and Mahabharata, they too are directed at the heart, but also mind. Then we read poetical scriptures that summarize moral code like Thirukkural and then we read other scriptures more rational and directed at the mind only like Dharmasastra. It is in the mind that beliefs are formed, but it is from the heart that we act. Ravan was a master of the Veda's, it only made him more arrogant and still unable to follow the path of Dharma.

What is your belief?

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Cassandra,
As I see it... There are many sources, devotion is the prime source. One of the great blessings of Hinduism is the worship of Deva's, higher beings that are themselves devoted to uphold Dharma and rightfulness, and glorious incarnations of God like Ram and Krishna who specifically bring Dharma. If you worship them they will lay thoughts in your mind and knowledge in your heart. Then we are inspired by great souls, first our Guru's including our parents but many others too. Then we hear nature that tells us many things if we care to listen. Then there is life we eat and whose lessons we taste. Then we drink culture that reflects Dharma in all its aspects, its language, its customs, its traditions, its institutions etc.. Then there is meditative thinking that opens new doors. Then we read scriptures from Sages like Ramayana and Mahabharata, they too are directed at the heart, but also mind. Then we read poetical scriptures that summarize moral code like Thirukkural and then we read other scriptures more rational and directed at the mind only like Dharmasastra. It is in the mind that beliefs are formed, but it is from the heart that we act. Ravan was a master of the Veda's, it only made him more arrogant and still unable to follow the path of Dharma.

Your understanding is par excellence!
More frubals[pending]
Living in tune with existence is dharma or following the laws of existence which is also termed dharma.
How one follows is the path but finally all paths reach to the same place.
More as we go along.

Love & rgds