• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of existence?

allfoak

Alchemist
The only purpose of life is to live it.
Everyone should strive to live their highest ideal.
How one does that depends upon where they are starting from.
Thankfully it is different for everyone.
If it were not we would only have one kind of cheerios.

cheerios_html.jpg

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The purpose is to be the best version of yourself. That is why you are here. And you must discover what and who the best version of you is.

JRMcC

I like the "just live your life" attitude. It looks like aside from that people feel strongly about the Richard Dawkins atheist position and the Abrahamic religion follower position.
What about this one?
"It is only as an aesthetic phenomenon that existence and the world are eternally justified." - Nietzsche
This isn't necessarily incompatible with the Christian/Muslim view.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of existence?

The word 'meaning' is a bit over used nowadays.
Design is better.

You have five senses, all geared to expose your mind and heart to this life and living.
Your body is a learning device.
It won't do much else.
You are here to learn all that you can before you die.

Then you leave the dust behind.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If you want to throw in religion, of course there are many answers to this question. That's the basics, though, that all religions I assume would support to one extent or another.

Yes, and that is the only reason why they exist.

Ciao

- viole

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I suspect that most of us super apes who ask what the meaning of life is do so because we do not feel intensely alive. If we felt genuinely alive, the meaning of it all wouldn't interest us.
I like this very much, Phil.

I'm very much alive and luxuriating in every moment. I'll ponder what it all meant when I get back Home.

Aquitaine

There is no objective meaning to it: it is up to the individual to define/decide if there is any meaning in existence.

Gambit

Life will mean different things to different people. But seeing life is created by God, we should be asking what it means to him. The Bible reveals that we are here for a reason and the Creator took years to prepare the earth for our arrival so he obviously has a plan for us.

If you ask me, the meaning to our life is linked to our Creator's purpose.

Whats' the Creator purpose?