• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of existence?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If you want to talk about being uncharitable, then let's talk about your initial post on this thread. You stated: "I suspect that most of us super apes who ask what the meaning of life is do so because we do not feel intensely alive. If we felt genuinely alive, the meaning of it all wouldn't interest us."

The implication is fairly clear; Anyone who questions the meaning of life needs to get a life. And since I am the one who created this thread, I take that slight personally.

If you see yourself reflected in a mirror, don't blame the mirror for how you look to yourself.

Gambit

There is no objective meaning to it: it is up to the individual to define/decide if there is any meaning in existence.

I don't understand this response. Do you believe that you are endowed with some God-like power? That you can draw everything to some final end?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Prime Imperatives of life - 1. Survive 2. Breed 3. Contribute 4. Die
A small correction. The Prime Imperatives of life - 1. Survive 2. Breed 3. Raise 4. Die. Contributions do not matter in the grand scheme of things.

Gambit

Our lives can have whatever meaning and purpose we choose, it is something that is not imposed upon us externally - but something that we can explore and define for ourselves.

"Man is free to do what he wills, but he cannot will what he wills" - Arthur Schopenhauer

Gambit

To my mind, saying that 'there is no meaning or purpose beyond what we define for ourselves' seems an unnecessary reduction. What greater purpose or meaning could there be than to truly explore and define these important qualities yourself?

Did you ever consider the possibility that there might be a greater mind than yours?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Does my "learning" serve some ultimate purpose?

If you want to / choose to make it so / perceive the possibilities in that way.

Because learning in this life open the opportunity to sharing and teaching with others that will survive us and hopefully pass the good effort along.

In that way, and IMO in that way alone, humanity is immortal.