• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of existence?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
This is basically what the spiritual try to argue. They try to argue that the length of their piece of string is the right length.
Agree.

Do they not see how ridiculous they are being?
This applies to you, also, @Ouroboros, seeing as you are a panentheist..
You think?

I'm a naturalistic atheist, very same vies as Spinoza, Einstein, and many other in the past had. Just to give you an idea. I agree with the view that it's a sexed up atheism. So do you feel that I'm trying to convince people about my pantheism or that it's the only yardstick people can use? It's funny, because I feel people can find meaning and true happiness through many paths, and not mine. In other words, I think you're barking up the wrong tree there buddy.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In no manner is Man immortal.
Not as person....not as a collective.
Man is destined to become extinct.

Only in spirit can we claim immortality.

Oddly enough, I kind of agree. But I don't think we are using the same meaning of "spirit".

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Are you asking me what is the purpose of purpose?

Yes. Why not? Does purpose stop there and stay for ever without further purposes?

I am soon withdrawing money from the bank, because I want to buy a new car. Ergo, the purpose of withdrawing money is to buy a new car. Does the question: "what is the purpose of buying a new car?" makes sense to you?

Ciao

- viole

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I find this to be inherently contradictory. The idea that there is no meaning to life beyond what we give it presupposes a purpose in and of itself.

There is no inherent purpose in life. If we choose to give ourselves a purpose, we are free to do so but we are not required to do so. Many people go through life with no purpose whatsoever. It's really sad how many people have to explain the simplest of ideas to you. Are you a little slow?

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
You think?

n. Panentheism -- Panentheism (meaning "all-in-God", from the Ancient Greekπᾶνpân ("all"), ἐνen ("in") and ΘεόςTheós ("God")) is a belief system which posits that the divine – whether as a singleGod, number ofgods, or other form of "cosmic animating force"[1]interpenetrates every part of the universe and extends, timelessly (and, presumably, spacelessly) beyond it. [SOURCE]

So you have a theistical belief--you have a piece of string which you believe, absolutely, to be the right length. Is this not unreasonable?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
n. Panentheism -- Panentheism (meaning "all-in-God", from the Ancient Greekπᾶνpân ("all"), ἐνen ("in") and ΘεόςTheós ("God")) is a belief system which posits that the divine – whether as a singleGod, number ofgods, or other form of "cosmic animating force"[1]interpenetrates every part of the universe and extends, timelessly (and, presumably, spacelessly) beyond it. [SOURCE]

So you have a theistical belief--you have a piece of string which you believe, absolutely, to be the right length. Is this not unreasonable?

Cosmic animating force. That's a natural thing.

In 1705 the Irish writer John Toland endorsed a form of pantheism in which the God-soul is identical with the material universe.[29][30][6]

German naturalist Ernst Haeckel (1834–1919[31]) proposed a monistic pantheism in which the idea of God is identical with that of nature or substance.[32]

The World Pantheist Movement, started in 1999, describes Naturalistic Pantheism as including reverence for the universe, realism,strong naturalism, and respect for reason and the scientific method as methods of understanding the world.[33] Paul Harrison considers its position the closest modern equivalent to Toland's.[6]
From: Naturalistic pantheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice the "Naturalistic" qualifier in front of the "Pantheism" word?

And have I ever tried to prove to you that Nature is the source of existence and that Reality is all encompassing of all that is real? No. That would be very stupid of me to try to do since it's obvious.

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
Cosmic animating force. That's a natural thing.

From: Naturalistic pantheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice the "Naturalistic" qualifier in front of the "Pantheism" word?

And have I ever tried to prove to you that Nature is the source of existence and that Reality is all encompassing of all that is real? No. That would be very stupid of me to try to do since it's obvious.

Ah, I see your point of view now.
The problem was simple to do with interpreting the formatting differently. I was under the impression that "Naturalistic" was separate from "Pan(en)theistic".

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
What is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of existence?
1) Which facet of a brilliant diamond is the front?

2) The meaning of life will be revealed to the first person to get out of it alive.

3) Purpose implies design, as such there is no objective purpose to existence. What is the purpose of sand? Of nitrogen? Of empty space? Of toe cheese? Mountains form and erode through natural processes that have no design or purpose. It is the same for life.

4) Natural processes are directional. Direction can be misinterpreted (technically a false interpretation, but useful for discussion) as design and/or purpose. E.g. a chemical reaction occurs in one direction, but it is nothing more than than a question of the circumstances; mountains build through tectonic processes that effect global, regional, and local weather patterns and provide various regional and micro habitats in which life evolves in a radiant fashion. This evolution can be described by biological processes which drive evolution in one direction or another. These patterns can be seen as design or purpose. But they have no meaning or 'will' behind them. In these terms we can talk about the purpose of life being survival and procreation.

5) There is no objective purpose to life. In fact the question is meaningless if you expect an objective answer. The very concept of 'purpose' is incompatible with objectivity. In order to have purpose, one must have will. To have will, one must have self or other.

The purpose of life is the subjective. If you believe in god, then ask god what is the meaning of all life. If you do not believe in god, then ask yourself...What is the purpose of your life? After all, it is your life, you are free to purpose it as you wish.

Straw Dog

I prefer to reflect upon the question... Why am I still alive?

Answer: Because I haven't died yet.

Life is conditioned by the inevitability of death. This creates the context in which I may ask the right questions and find personal meaning in my activities. Is my life worth living as it is? Am I ready to die now? What is the value of my temporary experiences? Can I improve the quality of my experiences? How so? What do I really want to accomplish before I die? How do I want to treat others living in the same context?

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I find it deeply disturbing and more than a little depressing when people claim to know the mind of God.
We don't, it's what we believe God has specifically revealed to us though his incarnation, and though the apostolic Church he founded. We actually know very little about God except that which God has told us.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Okay. So, if we entertain the possibility that there might be a greater mind than our own, then we would have to entertain the possibility that there is a greater purpose than our own.
What do you mean by greater purpose in this context?