• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the point of censorship?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Seriously...I have always wondered why a certain political side wants to censor all that they find unsuitable to their agenda. :)

Honestly...in my dear old Europe I have never seen the right-wing being obsessed with what the leftists say or don't say.
They have never tried to censor their political opponents.

Au contraire...I believe that what the European Left has been doing is desperately trying to censor what the rightists say.
For years.
I am happy if others are free to express the ideas I disagree with. If they are interesting, I can reflect about them.

I believe that the desire of censoring others is symptom of insecurity.
What do you guys think?
:)

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think debate is the most beautiful thing ever.
Disagreement is the point of learning.
For example...these two people are an atheist and a Catholic who are debating about faith.
But they are so intelligently calm and respectful...that it doesn't sound like a debate between a theist and an atheist.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Seriously...I have always wondered why a certain political side wants to censor all that they find unsuitable to their agenda. :)

Honestly...in my dear old Europe I have never seen the right-wing being obsessed with what the leftists say or don't say.

Au contraire...I believe that what the European Left has been doing is desperately trying to censor what the rightists say.
For years.

I don't understand the reason why they are obsessed with censorship.
I couldn't care less what the other political parties say...I mean...I am 100% convinced about my own ideas, so I don't feel threatened by what other people say.
I am happy if others are free to express the ideas I disagree with you. If they are interesting, I can reflect about them.

I believe that the desire of censoring others is symptom of insecurity.
What do you guys think?
Like any good tyrant or despot, controlling speech means you can control people's minds and keep them cloistered in a little world of your own, and censorship is an excellent way to do it as you feed select propaganda to steer people in any direction ones likes.

North Korea is a great example of that.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Like any good tyrant or despot, controlling speech means you can control people's minds and keep them cloistered in a little world of your own, and censorship is an excellent way to do it as you feed select propaganda to steer people in any direction ones likes.
North Korea is a great example of that.

I think it's more about being terrified that certain pieces of information make people aware of certain truths.

I was reflecting about the European Europeanist Left...that keeps advertising the globalist agenda. It's thanks to their multicoloured speeches that the rightists keep winning everywhere. I mean...the rightists should pay them, to thank them for pushing voters to dislike them.
That's why I would never censor anyone. :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
In the US it's the right that's all in for censorship. They want to censor books about black history, gays/lesbians, transgender and actual history such as the cause of the Civil War. Librarians have gotten fired for resisting their attempts to control what is in the library. They have also attacked teachers, colleges and businesses to stop them from anything that the right disapproves of.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In the US it's the right that's all in for censorship. They want to censor books about black history, gays/lesbians, transgender and actual history such as the cause of the Civil War. Librarians have gotten fired for resisting their attempts to control what is in the library. They have also attacked teachers, colleges and businesses to stop them from anything that the right disapproves of.
As far as I know, they just want their children not to read them.
That's not censorship.
Censorship is when I prevent someone from publishing something. :)

Laika

Premium Member

Just because you’ve “never seen” it- doesn’t mean its not there. Here’s a quick list for some European countries:

Germany: Flag of East Germany and the original communist party of Germany are banned. Hammer and sickle are otherwise legal. In August 1956, the Federal Constitutional Court banned the original Communist Party of Germany, which was later upheld by the European commission on human rights.

Lithuania: ban on soviet [and nazi] symbols, including flags, athemns, uniforms, and hammer and sickle.

Latvia: ban on Soviet [and nazi] symbols, including the use of flags or symbols in public meetings.

Ukraine: ban on Soviet [and nazi] symbols. All three communist parties were banned and forcibly disbanded. By 2016, 51,493 streets and 987 towns and villages were renamed, 1,320 lenin monuments and 1,069 monuments to other communist figures were removed.

Bans on communist symbols - Wikipedia

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Just because you’ve “never seen” it- doesn’t mean its not there. Here’s a quick list for some European countries:

Germany: Flag of East Germany and the original communist party of Germany are banned. Hammer and sickle are otherwise legal. In August 1956, the Federal Constitutional Court banned the original Communist Party of Germany, which was later upheld by the European commission on human rights.

Lithuania: ban on soviet [and nazi] symbols, including flags, athemns, uniforms, and hammer and sickle.

Latvia: ban on Soviet [and nazi] symbols, including the use of flags or symbols in public meetings.

Ukraine: ban on Soviet [and nazi] symbols. All three communist parties were banned and forcibly disbanded. By 2016, 51,493 streets and 987 towns and villages were renamed, 1,320 lenin monuments and 1,069 monuments to other communist figures were removed.

Bans on communist symbols - Wikipedia
Censorship is forbidding people from speaking of the Deutsche Demokratische Republik, or praising it.
it's allowed.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's still censorship. You can paint it how you want. If a government agency is involved in deciding and prohibiting information or educational material, it is censorship.
I was referring to Europe, by the way. Read the article.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I was referring to Europe, by the way. Read the article.
It's irrelevant. Censorship is censorship, in Europe, Asia, America. No matter. If you really wanted this to be about Europe, which I doubt, you should have put this in European politics. No. You put it in a general political debate section and your question wasn't about European politics but just censorship.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's irrelevant. Censorship is censorship, in Europe, Asia, America. No matter. If you really wanted this to be about Europe, which I doubt, you should have put this in European politics. No. You put it in a general political debate section and your question wasn't about European politics but just censorship.
What do you think of censorship, then? ;)

Altfish

Veteran Member
Really, you haven't been looking very hard.
Look at the right wing government in the UK - banning marches, refusing to publish critical reports, etc.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Really, you haven't been looking very hard.
Look at the right wing government in the UK - banning marches, refusing to publish critical reports, etc.
As far as I know, the Conservatives have never cared what their political opponents say.
Have they ever tried to censor them? No.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
What do you think of censorship, then? ;)
I think I am clear. I am opposed to it. I don't care which side it is from. Also, I make a distinction between genuine free speech and things like harassment, libel, slander and defamation. Such as, yelling fire in a theater should not be protected. Or threatening another's life should not be protected. Calling the families of shooting victims liars should not be protected. Etc. Etc.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
As far as I know, they just want their children not to read them.
That's not censorship.
Censorship is when I prevent someone from publishing something. :)
You seem to have a rather interestingly narrow idea of what is and is not censorship:

cen·sorship​
noun​
1. the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.​

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think I am clear. I am opposed to it. I don't care which side it is from. Also, I make a distinction between genuine free speech and things like harassment, libel, slander and defamation. Such as, yelling fire in a theater should not be protected. Or threatening another's life should not be protected. Calling the families of shooting victims liars should not be protected. Etc. Etc.
Of course, we are speaking of political ideas. It has nothing to do with targeting politicians on the personal level.
But...do you want to deny that what the Left has been doing is desperately trying to censor ideas considered bigoted?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You seem to have a rather interestingly narrow idea of what is and is not censorship:

cen·sorship​
noun​
1. the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.​
What I meant.