• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the purpose of Heaven?

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Some Quranic verses describing Paradise

"The description of Paradise which the pious have been promised is that in it are rivers of water, the taste and smell of which are never changed. Rivers of milk the taste of which will remain unchanged. Rivers of wine that will be delicious to those who drink from it and rivers of clear, pure honey. For them will be every kind of fruit and forgiveness form their Lord." [ 47:15]

"And their recompense shall be Paradise, and silken garments, because they were patient. Reclining on raised thrones, they will see there neither the excessive heat of the sun, nor the excessive bitter cold, (as in Paradise there is no sun and no moon). The shade will be close upon them, and bunches of fruit will hang low within their reach. Vessels of silver and cups of crystal will be passed around amongst them, crystal-clear, made of silver. They will determine the measure of them according to their wishes. They will be given a cup (of wine) mixed with Zanjabeel, and a fountain called Salsabeel. Around them will (serve) boys of perpetual youth. If you see them, you would think they are scattered pearls. When you look there (in Paradise) you will see a delight (that cannot be imagined), and a Great Dominion. Their garments will be of fine green silk and gold embroidery. They will be adorned with bracelets of silver, and their Lord will give them a pure drink."
[76:12-21]

"Verily, the dwellers of Paradise that Day, will be busy in joyful things. They and their wives will be in pleasant shade, reclining on thrones. They will have therein fruits (of all kinds), and all that they will ask for. (It will be said to them): "Salamun" (Peace be on you), a Word from the Lord, Most Merciful." [36:55-58]

"So no soul knows the delights of the eyes which is hidden for them; a reward for what they did."
[32:17]

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Any description one gives of heaven or hell are all from the *MIND* and so are *IMAGINATION*. They are not real and is another trick played out by the MIND to make on feel heavenly even if he is in hell.
One can be rich to buy those beautiful things as mentioned in paradise but still could be living in hell as he might not be getting sleep at night.
The MIND creates the dualities of this heaven and hell.
No-mind, no-heaven/hell.
Love & rgds

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I agree with friend Zenzero. People have a tendency of imagining up these "heavenly" places that are elsewhere to avoid living in the Here Now. It is in this Here Now that our conscious energy is needed to maintain balance in this world and our purpose is served. The "mind" can create its own heaven and hell.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Some Quranic verses describing Paradise

"The description of Paradise which the pious have been promised is that in it are rivers of water, the taste and smell of which are never changed. Rivers of milk the taste of which will remain unchanged. Rivers of wine that will be delicious to those who drink from it and rivers of clear, pure honey. For them will be every kind of fruit and forgiveness form their Lord." [ 47:15]

Not interested. Rivers of pure water, like the kind found on earth right now, are fine the way they are.

"And their recompense shall be Paradise, and silken garments, because they were patient. Reclining on raised thrones, they will see there neither the excessive heat of the sun, nor the excessive bitter cold, (as in Paradise there is no sun and no moon). The shade will be close upon them, and bunches of fruit will hang low within their reach. Vessels of silver and cups of crystal will be passed around amongst them, crystal-clear, made of silver. They will determine the measure of them according to their wishes. They will be given a cup (of wine) mixed with Zanjabeel, and a fountain called Salsabeel. Around them will (serve) boys of perpetual youth. If you see them, you would think they are scattered pearls. When you look there (in Paradise) you will see a delight (that cannot be imagined), and a Great Dominion. Their garments will be of fine green silk and gold embroidery. They will be adorned with bracelets of silver, and their Lord will give them a pure drink."
[76:12-21]

No sun and no moon?! Count me out!

"Verily, the dwellers of Paradise that Day, will be busy in joyful things. They and their wives will be in pleasant shade, reclining on thrones. They will have therein fruits (of all kinds), and all that they will ask for. (It will be said to them): "Salamun" (Peace be on you), a Word from the Lord, Most Merciful." [36:55-58]

Not really much to say. I don't see anything spectacular here.

"So no soul knows the delights of the eyes which is hidden for them; a reward for what they did."
[32:17]

I need no reward for my deeds. The knowledge alone is far greater reward then all the wonders of the world.

Don't get me wrong, now. The imagery is beautiful. It's just not describing a place I really have any interest in.

maeder

heaven for me is just a mere representation that is used by the mankind to do good while we are still living in this world

Kyubai

For me heaven is a reason for people to do something good with their lives and something for them to look forward to after death. However I don't really see the point of heaven. After you get there what are you going to do? A lot of the fun stuff I do involves some form of sinning however small it may be so without out sinning what am I gonna do?

mohe3439

Lord of Ents
The concept of heaven formed as a way to draw supporters. It is just a reward for doing what god tells you. On the matter of what it is I think it would be like the holo-decks from Star Trek where you get what you want and you can do what you want.