• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your belief in regards to God?

What is your belief in regards to God?

• Total voters

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As I looked into the eyes of Vishnu, I saw something reflected there, like holding up two mirror facing each other... and in that timeless moment I began to erase my idea of gods. I no longer have any use for the idea and so I am a smug atheist.

Gambit

As I looked into the eyes of Vishnu, I saw something reflected there, like holding up two mirror facing each other... and in that timeless moment I began to erase my idea of gods. I no longer have any use for the idea and so I am a smug atheist.

Sounds more like you believe you're God

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheism. Though I am coming at it from Indian tradition (a mix of Nyaya-Vaisesika, Carvaka and Madhyamika schools).

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yes, they can be. Just like an atheist can also be agnostic.

From the all-knowing Wikipedia:
Ok, so an agnostic theist, would differ from my position, //gnostic theism, because, unlike the agnostic theist, I actually know that G-d exists /gnostic theist.

/Btw, 'belief' as a word used in a religious context, is not used as a differential to the word 'know'; in other words, ''belief'', is used even in the context of things that one is sure of, ie ''I believe in Christ'', does not mean that the person isn't sure ''/about their faith in Christ/.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I don't want to derail your thread further, so I'll say this:

It depends on the tradition and the individual. Based on what I've been personally taught, and from what my tradition teaches, I fully believe in God, but I still cannot be 100% sure.

If you fully believe in g-d, then you are not an agnostic. We're observing here, that belief is actually related to this 'word' your using, lol agnostic, whether you want to assign it that meaning, or not.:thumbsup:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
because, unlike the agnostic theist, I actually know that G-d exists /gnostic theist..

Really now? You know God exists? Absolutely no doubt in your mind at all? Do tell.

If you fully believe in g-d, then you are not an agnostic. We're observing here, that belief is actually related to this 'word' your using, lol agnostic, whether you want to assign it that meaning, or not.:thumbsup:

If you say so.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Really now? You know God exists? Absolutely no doubt in your mind at all? Do tell.
Ah, but you are saying that there is meaning to agnostic? Now, if you do not believe that 'gnostic', has actual meaning in this context, then does it not render your usage of the word ''agnostic', moot, or rather pointless, in meaning?

If you say so.
*shrugs*

Last edited:

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
What is your belief in regards to God? Is it theistic, atheistic, or agnostic? (Please explain why for your choice.)

I am a theist because I believe "God" qualifies as the only explanation to the mystery of existence.

Atheistic. A hard atheist materialist disbelief, to be exact.
I am this way because not only is there zero scientific evidence for a god, the very concept of "God" seems to me irrational.

Gambit

Atheistic. A hard atheist materialist disbelief, to be exact.
I am this way because not only is there zero scientific evidence for a god, the very concept of "God" seems to me irrational.

What is your scientific and/or rational explanation for why there is something rather than nothing?

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
What is your scientific and/or rational explanation for why there is something rather than nothing?

Don't have one, and neither do you I should assume.
Jumping to "God did it" didn't seem appealing to me when I first came to such questions.

I guess we'll eventually figure it out, or we wont. It's just that simple.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Why are you a pantheist?

The teachings of the eastern (Hindu) masters whose wisdom I most respect. And the mystics. And the Theosophical seers.

I also should add I have a problem understanding any dualist (God and creation are two) theology and concepts like one lifetime.. It seems to present logical problems that would leave me with little faith.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The problem is that you assume/think, that that fact is relevant as to whether G-d exists.
The point is that I no longer care. Once one plunges down the rabbit hole of inner reality terms like "god" quickly become meaningless and if held onto can become quite the distraction.