• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your opinion on mandatory prayer in schools

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I guess I disagree with it because I believe that there are many things that parents should teach their children.
I completely agree.
There are all manner of things that schools should not HAVE to teach students.

Interestingly enough, the reason the school is doing it is because the parents are not.

Schools these days are trying to do thing which alleviate the parents need to parent their children.
Bull ****.
every single PTA meeting I have attended the subject comes up on how to get parents more involved.

The way I see it, parents who are involved and actually know what is going on are not the ones whining and complaining about how things are being done.

It is the parents who do not know what is going on, the ones that refuse to get involved, the ones who feel that it is the responsibility of the schools to read their minds and know what they want taught to their children that are the problem.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Bull ****.
every single PTA meeting I have attended the subject comes up on how to get parents more involved.

The way I see it, parents who are involved and actually know what is going on are not the ones whining and complaining about how things are being done.

It is the parents who do not know what is going on, the ones that refuse to get involved, the ones who feel that it is the responsibility of the schools to read their minds and know what they want taught to their children that are the problem.

The problem is the general laziness and apathy in the majority of today's parents. They care immensely, but their effort doesn't match their care.

Were I to be in some sort of position where I could make changes, I would require that parents get a parenting license or something of the sort (which would entail training parents how to raise children). But then, I'm not in that sort of position.

Beaudreaux

No prayer in schools. :no: However I do think it should be mandatory for every school to have a religious education class that teaches ALL the major organized religions and preaches tolerance and equality.:yes:
Why only the major ones? That doesn't seem fair.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Because it would take an entire lifetime to study every single little religion in the world.

I take it back. A single person with a lifespan of 120 years couldn't do it.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What is your opinion on mandatory prayer in schools?

Strikingly similar to my opinion on the overhunting of purple giraffes in Alberta.

Beaudreaux

Because it would take an entire lifetime to study every single little religion in the world.

Gee, that seems like it might pose a problem for equal treatment under the law. Maybe there's another approach that would be fair to everyone. Hmmmmmmmm.......

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Gee, that seems like it might pose a problem for equal treatment under the law. Maybe there's another approach that would be fair to everyone. Hmmmmmmmm.......

Absolute equality and fair treatment is not possible.

The population of 6 billion people pushing 7 makes it so.

Beaudreaux

Absolute equality and fair treatment is not possible.

The population of 6 billion people pushing 7 makes it so.
I dunnoooooo.... There's an idea forming in my mind on how we could be with regard to this issue....give me a few more minutes........

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
So you voted yes on prop 389 too?

Yes? On 389? I hope you're joking. This proposition is nothing but a one-way ticket to limitless herds of purple giraffes scouring every coconut from the tops of every redwood tree from the Arctic Circle to the Rio Grande.

J Bryson

Yes? On 389? I hope you're joking. This proposition is nothing but a one-way ticket to limitless herds of purple giraffes scouring every coconut from the tops of every redwood tree from the Arctic Circle to the Rio Grande.

Damn, I have to spread some frubals around first....

blackout

Violet.
No prayer in schools. :no: However I do think it should be mandatory for every school to have a religious education class that teaches ALL the major organized religions and preaches tolerance and equality.:yes:

Well how about an overview of major ones,
and an overview of the lesser practiced,
more misunderstood/less understood "religious" paths.

Cut down on the irrational fear mongering and superstition
regarding paganism and Left Hand Paths maybe.

rojse

RF Addict
What is your opinion on mandatory prayer in schools?

Strikingly similar to my opinion on the overhunting of purple giraffes in Alberta.

The plight of purple giraffe hunting in Alberta is not something to be talked about so lightly.
icon8.gif

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Well how about an overview of major ones,
and an overview of the lesser practiced,
more misunderstood/less understood "religious" paths.

Cut down on the irrational fear mongering and superstition
regarding paganism and Left Hand Paths maybe.

I consider Paganism and LHP religions to be major, in the same way Hinduism is considered a major religion, even though there are tons of different Hindu religions.

Beaudreaux

I dunnoooooo.... There's an idea forming in my mind on how we could be fair with regard to this issue....give me a few more minutes........
OOH! OOH! I know! We could not teach ANY religion in public school classrooms! That's it! That way, we don't have to worry about some religions getting taught and others left in the cold. You are right that we can't teach them ALL, so why not refrain from...gosh what's the best way to put it...refrain from making a law respecting an establishment of religion! That way you'd have your government, like the "state", over here and your religion, like the "church", over here and they'd be...I don't know, like seperate. I think that's probably the only way to be fair and equal under the law.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
OOH! OOH! I know! We could not teach ANY religion in public school classrooms! That's it! That way, we don't have to worry about some religions getting taught and others left in the cold. You are right that we can't teach them ALL, so why not refrain from...gosh what's the best way to put it...refrain from making a law respecting an establishment of religion! That way you'd have your government, like the "state", over here and your religion, like the "church", over here and they'd be...I don't know, like seperate. I think that's probably the only way to be fair and equal under the law.

Wow! What a Revolutionary idea!!!

We should amend the Constitution to do that!