• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your religion?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
True religion is the religion of spirit in which a religionist personally experiences the thrilling venture of finding God for himself, in himself and of himself. It is free from the bondage of intellectual doctrines and organized personality authorities. The cardinal points are:

[FONT=&quot]1) The pre-eminence of the individual.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2) The will as the determining factor in man's experience.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3) Spiritual fellowship with God the Father.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4) The supreme satisfactions of the loving service of man.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5) The transcendency of the spiritual over the material in the human personality choice.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]6) Actually doing your Heavenly Father's Will.[/FONT]
Okay... So who came up with the "cardinal points"?

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
A couple of years ago I would have said I was an empirical dharmic deist. Now I am not so sure. I have a cosmological model I am somewhat confidant in how it would reflect the deeper structure of reality. I have the feeling that we are not alone in this universe (and thus reality more generally). I believe that humanity has a bright future and that reason and cooperation are the primary means by which we will ultimately be able to reach this bright future.

But I can't quite put my finger on what would qualify as a religion or even spirituality. Like when I meditate I usually do it to help my psycho-emotional state, not because I am trying to commune with the cosmos or some entity. I don't have any practices which I habitually utilize in order to further my understanding of the cosmos nor to contact entities or some other plane of existence. There aren't any entities we are in contact with that I would recognize as being worthy of worship nor the presence of a manifestly divine being within the confines of earth.

My world-view is I suppose areligious.

MTF

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Rock on. Judaism is interesting to me because it is kind of like my Christian religion.:D

There are some similarities depending on the denomination it's compared to, but the more I learn the more I think most of the similarities are superficial.

The are very stark differences between Judaism and Christianity.

Bob Dixon

>implying
There are some similarities depending on the denomination it's compared to, but the more I learn the more I think most of the similarities are superficial.

The are very stark differences between Judaism and Christianity.

True, true, but there are also stark differences between Abraham's religion and Judaism, see?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
True, true, but there are also stark differences between Abraham's religion and Judaism, see?

And?

I'm fully aware that modern rabbinical Judaism isn't the same as what the ancient Israelites practiced. I've never claimed otherwise.

I don't see what that has to do with the difference between Judaism and Christianity.

blackout

Violet.
Mine is the religion of Violet.
I WerShape Ultra.
She is my I'doll.

Purple Goth Tinkerbell is my I'con.

chinu

chinu
What is your religion?
A riff of salt,
Went to know the mood of sea,
Now... where is that riff of salt ?
~
:D What is religion ? -- i can't think now.
~
Religion means -- reunion with -- from where we all started -- this journey of life -- in the begaining -- or the nick name is god.
~
Truely -- after having religion -- there is just religion -- not the one who has haved it.
~
:D What is religion ? -- truely... i can't think now. :(
~
_/\_
Chinu

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Not enough hyphens in this life time ;)

My Life and the practice of Love is my religion.

chinu

chinu
Not enough hyphens in this life time ;)

My Life and the practice of Love is my religion.
Sayings of sages -- "God is bigger than everything or everybody"
~
Sayings of sages -- "God is Love is God"
~
If it is so, it means -- "Love" is also bigger than everything or everybody" -- Right ?
~
So.. how can one practice the thing -- which is greater than him/her ?
~
Yes!, its right to say that -- its love, who practice us.
~
And only than -- one can get sucess -- on this path of "Love". ;)
~
_/\_
Chinu

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Sayings of sages -- "God is bigger than everything or everybody"
~
Sayings of sages -- "God is Love is God"
~
If it is so, it means -- "Love" is also bigger than everything or everybody" -- Right ?
~
So.. how can one practice the thing -- which is greater than him/her ?
~
Yes!, its right to say that -- its love, who practice us.
~
And only than -- one can get sucess -- on this path of "Love". ;)
~
_/\_
Chinu

I concur and understand. Thanks for the beautiful wording. You spoke my heart better than I. :D

Perhaps it'd have been more apt to say my 'practice' is opening up to the heights of that Love or uncovering the depth of Love, which ever metaphorical direction you prefer ;)

That is to say, Love is there always and it's to be discovered, experience and connected with.

:namaste
SageTree

Bob Dixon

>implying
And?

I'm fully aware that modern rabbinical Judaism isn't the same as what the ancient Israelites practiced. I've never claimed otherwise.

I don't see what that has to do with the difference between Judaism and Christianity.

It's just the natural evolution of the religion (and its artificial evolution, of course). In the beginning, Christianity and Judaism were one religion but now, because of historical events, they're not. It's natural, that's all.

I wasn't contesting your point, but backing it up. No worries.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
It's just the natural evolution of the religion (and its artificial evolution, of course). In the beginning, Christianity and Judaism were one religion but now, because of historical events, they're not. It's natural, that's all.

I wasn't contesting your point, but backing it up. No worries.

Ah, gotcha.

I mistook your response for something else.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Panentheism

For practices and stuff, hateve rI feel good for bonding with the divine at the moment. SO I am a cherry picker of every religion who has cherries I find healthy.

And I am proud of that :D