• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your short story or one sentence, Why Do You love God?

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
Did Russell ever claim to be inspired? If he did, do you have a reference?
I trust the people that showed love to me and directed me to the Bible as the source of direction. Jesus, the Apostles words and the entire Bible give me the direction I am looking for. Thank you, I always check the things I believe with what Jesus says and the Apostles.

Nobody else ever told me I can just quote Jesus and understand what I should believe. If Jesus doesn't talk about it, quote the Apostle's words.

Last edited:

RR144

Bible Student
I trust the people that showed love to me and directed me to the Bible as the source of direction. Jesus, the Apostles words and the entire Bible give me the direction I am looking for. Thank you, I always check the things I believe with what Jesus says and the Apostles.

Nobody else ever told me I can just quote Jesus and understand what I should believe. If Jesus doesn't talk about it, quote the Apostle's words.
And that has to do with my question, how?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I agree with Ajax the instructions in the Bible, are in conflict with each other, they do not agree at all.

Still even though they don't agree, each scripture is an instruction that is beneficial for us. :sparklingheart: :twohearts: Each scripture must be important somehow or it wouldn't be written down. Does anyone agree?
Context is everything with scripture, it is misleading to compare statements from various chapters and verses without taking into consideration the context to which the statements are made. What may appear to be contradictory may not be when context is taken into consideration. God loves and hates depending on the circumstances of an act, as we do, check the context.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

I appreciate your comment about source of direction. Before I studied the Bible in earnest I was confused and had no real guidelines to my life even though I went to church and looked into religion. Now thanks to the Almighty God, I do have guidelines. I am thankful and happy for that.

walt

Why is this written in the Gospel of John? It sounds very important!

And anyone who believes in God’s Son has eternal life. Anyone who doesn’t obey the Son will never experience eternal life but remains under God’s angry judgment.” John 3:36 New Living Translation

below is links to the way this is rendered in over 100 different Bible translations.

G544 ἀπειθέω - Strong's Greek definition for the word [ doesn't obey ]​

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Sorry I don’t have much time, but wanted to address these, Sir…

John 1:1 refers to the Word (Λόγος}.
Λόγος originate from the verb λέγω, meaning I say/I speak and can mean 1) speech (oral or written) but also 2) fame, tradition 3) the matter spoken of, and other similar meanings.
As such, my personal view (as well as most scholars) is that it refers to the will of God
Does that fit John’s context? Because John continues:
“The word became flesh….”
The vast majority of Biblical scholars would agree that the illiteracy rates in Jesus's world were somewhere around 98 percent.
I can agree with the “world”; however such rampant illiteracy wouldn’t have existed among the Jews. I wouldn’t think so. Too many references in Scripture to ‘reading’ God’s laws. Or such implications.

Take care.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I agree with @Ajax the instructions in the Bible, are in conflict with each other, they do not agree at all.
My brother… I don’t think I follow you.
You think “the instructions in the Bible, are in conflict with each other”?

Give me an example.

Now, if you mean translations conflict, i understand that.

But the Bible? No….. only when misinterpreted.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
John 1:1 refers to the Word (Λόγος}.
Λόγος originate from the verb λέγω, meaning I say/I speak and can mean 1) speech (oral or written) but also 2) fame, tradition 3) the matter spoken of, and other similar meanings.
As such, my personal view (as well as most scholars) is that it refers to the will of God which was expressed orally for the creation, also via prophets and via Jesus, hence "the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us". It is a very far fetched conclusion that it refers to Jesus, although it is convenient for those who want to present Jesus as God.
In the sense you are citing John 1:1, the Word was not the "second person" of God, but rather who the Almighty spoke through, or used to create all things. And in that sense, the Word can certainly be called a God, and in order to avoid confusion the term "a God" is applicable. Since it was the will of God expressed orally for the creation, yes, it makes sense to realize that the Word can aptly be called a God. Remember--Jesus had problems when he was accused of calling himself God, yet he referred to the Psalm which said they, too (judges) were termed as 'gods.'

walt

My brother… I don’t think I follow you.
You think “the instructions in the Bible, are in conflict with each other”?

Give me an example.

Now, if you mean translations conflict, i understand that.

But the Bible? No….. only when misinterpreted.
Would you explain please, salvation is a free gift - not from any works, And at the same time obedience or observance to Jesus Gospel is necessary to be a follower of Christ. The Gospel of John and the Apostle Paul say this very thing. Thanks for any help you can give. :sparklingheart:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Would you explain please, salvation is a free gift - not from any works, And at the same time obedience or observance to Jesus Gospel is necessary to be a follower of Christ. The Gospel of John and the Apostle Paul say this very thing. Thanks for any help you can give. :sparklingheart:
Since my sig line is making a similar point and distinction, I will offer my understanding.

Superior virtue is like the Christian who does what Jesus teaches out of agape, not to attain anything, but out of divine love. They are saved.
Inferior virtue is like the Christian who does what Jesus teaches out of their desire to attain salvation. They are not yet saved.

walt

Since my sig line is making a similar point and distinction, I will offer my understanding.

Superior virtue is like the Christian who does what Jesus teaches out of agape, not to attain anything, but out of divine love. They are saved.
Inferior virtue is like the Christian who does what Jesus teaches out of their desire to attain salvation. They are not yet saved.
May I ask what faith you are from? Or from what position do you believe?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
May I ask what faith you are from? Or from what position do you believe?
I began as a Christian and still am one, but I've come to realize that many religions of other cultures, just like their languages, may be different but still effective. One's Christian faith is not diminished by meditation, yoga, etc.. To practice any religion, one must not just rely on their beliefs for understanding, but must experience directly the reality represented by such concepts that arise in their scripture, such as for example, Christ, agape, salvation, God, Tao, Oneness, Nirvana, etc.. On the scale of 1 to 10, religious belief stands at 1, direct experience stands at 9.

Ajax

Does that fit John’s context? Because John continues:
“The word became flesh….”
Hi, I think it does .. God's will and orders become known through the flesh (prophets and Jesus).
I can agree with the “world”; however such rampant illiteracy wouldn’t have existed among the Jews. I wouldn’t think so. Too many references in Scripture to ‘reading’ God’s laws. Or such implications.

Take care.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEB-76135

You too.

Ajax

I agree (as far as I can agree).

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ (thus having faith in me) will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

"If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." Attributed to Einstein, although I doubt whether he ever said it.

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I agree (as far as I can agree).
Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ (thus having faith in me) will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."
One who does the will of the Father implies a relationship that is 'closer' to God than one who merely believes in God and says 'Lord' as though they imagine God is separate from them like another person. By 'closer' I mean they have had an experience of union with God, the God within, 'know ye not your body is the temple of God'.

One who does the will of the Father is in union with God, the other* one may only do what they think the scripture means them to do because there is yet no experience of union. They yet see the Lord as being separate, whereas the one who has realized union with God knows they are an indivisible expression of God the Father, not just a belief, but in reality.

* I hope what I have written is consistent with the will of the Father. :D

Last edited:

walt

I feel most everyone puts faith in what they call holy scriptures no matter what religion they belong to. They believe what they feel is correct.
I love everyone who is trying to love one another and spreads kindness to others. :) :twohearts:

I feel as time passes our love for others will cause us to put more of the Holy Scriptures into practice.

Ajax

One who does the will of the Father implies a relationship that is 'closer' to God than one who merely believes in God and says 'Lord' as though they imagine God is separate from them like another person. By 'closer' I mean they have had an experience of union with God, the God within, 'know ye not your body is the temple of God'.

One who does the will of the Father is in union with God, the other* one may only do what they think the scripture means them to do because there is yet no experience of union. They yet see the Lord as being separate, whereas the one who has realized union with God knows they are an indivisible expression of God the Father, not just a belief, but in reality.

* I hope what I have written is consistent with the will of the Father. :D
I don't have a direct interest in what you just wrote, but I think your first quote "Superior virtue is like the Christian who does what Jesus teaches out of agape, not to attain anything, but out of divine love. They are saved." sounds more realistic.