• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your stance on free will?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I don't understand--better than what? Why has betterment entered the picture?

It comes on from a scheme of superlatives.
I don't think of myself as top of the line life form.
I am not my own handiwork.

So...there is Something Greater.

I do make assumptions.....I lean to certain disciplines as I do.

Something Greater would have greater freedom.
Greater ability.....greater will.....

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It comes on from a scheme of superlatives.
I don't think of myself as top of the line life form.
I am not my own handiwork.

So...there is Something Greater.

I do make assumptions.....I lean to certain disciplines as I do.

Something Greater would have greater freedom.
Greater ability.....greater will.....
For me, the point where God enters the picture is the point where agency departs--where the distinction between "I" and other, me and the world, diminishes to nothing (to return as soon as its remembered). The free will of an agent requires that duality.

sinner

In order to determine whether something is part of reality, [knowing what is true], one must know what truth is. To do that, one must believe there is a truth that one can know.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In order to determine whether something is part of reality, [knowing what is true], one must know what truth is. To do that, one must believe there is a truth that one can know.
A heathen view:
Observe reality without knowing whether truth (a posteriori) exists.

Btw, greetings, Sinner!
(I took the liberty of capitalizing your moniker.)

We invite you to start a thread to introduce yourself.
You can go here....
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/you-new-religiousforums-com/
& click on "New Thread".

Learning to navigate this place takes a while.
I started getting the hang of it after 30,000 posts.

Last edited:

littleoldme

How would you define freewill? Is free will a reality or an illusion of false power fostered by an awareness of self and the choices we think we make consciously? I'm in the con freewill camp. What about you and why do you believe as you do?

we have no choice but to decide.

"if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"
~rush
:jam:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
For me, the point where God enters the picture is the point where agency departs--where the distinction between "I" and other, me and the world, diminishes to nothing (to return as soon as its remembered). The free will of an agent requires that duality.

So...as long as we are able to keep our thought and feelings to ourselves....
We remain individuals.
With our freewill intact.

What if communication in the next life requires....'touching'...?

Scimitar

Eschatologist
FREE WILL - if to converges with God's will then it's not just free will, but free will with divine backing. Otherwise, your free will is satan backed.

That's the general understanding, people,don't confuse yourselves any further.

IHaveTheGift

U know who U R
It has to be free will, just because I am writing this does not mean I didn't have a choice.
Just because its set in stone that I did this post and no matter what, it happened and others will read it no matter what, does not violate free will.

I conclude that if we did not have free will, we would be much more predictable by others in our lives.
Randomness, is the real illusion here, we are not random, we have patterns we can see and know to exist.
We perceive grass as being random arrays of blades, but if we study it, we see where every blade lies, so it is no longer random, every single blade has a real cause to form and grow as it did.

Disclaimer, I am just full of poo poo, and have no idea what I am talking about :D