• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Makes People Vote Republican?

Smoke

Done here.
So, you are just going to ignore the fact that in countries with socialized healthcare the government restricts the access to life-saving and sustaining drugs. And that we, in the U.S. have greater access to the most cutting edge pharmaceuticals on the market.
Stating propaganda as a fact is only effective when people don't know the facts.

Nice Alan Grayson impersonation by the way.
Sorry, but I don't know who that is. Try to make your insults less obscure.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Smoke,

Stating propaganda as a fact is only effective when people don't know the facts.

We are now denying reality. Canada's government doesn't withhold new life-saving and sustaining drugs from being covered by the government. Sticking your head in the sand won't solve anything.

Sorry, but I don't know who that is. Try to make your insults less obscure.

He is a rather colorful Florida congressman who you've been channeling with your moral indignation. Not an insult, rather an observation.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Hi Sunstone,

I'm not. However, many supporters of single-payer mistakenly believe that we have a free market for health insurance and healthcare and blame high medical costs on the 'for proft' healthcare system here.

For profit and fee market are two separate things, Joe. Is there any particular reason why you are conflating them?

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
He is a rather colorful Florida congressman who you've been channeling with your moral indignation.
Moral indignation is not an untoward response to your ideas, but in all honesty I'd have to say I'm more contemptuous than indignant. I've been hearing this same kind of **** for decades. Indignation wears off after a while; contempt is forever.

dale1257

dfd001
Great article, Phil, and the commentary was equally intriguing.

Republican's can't stand freedom or individuality, despite their lauding these values. They find diversity, dissent and disrespect equally distasteful. Facts and function only annoy them and make them dig in their heels and more strongly proclaim their values. They are not thinkers, but feelers.

I knew this.

You have just given a pretty fair definition of liberals. A few alterations, though:

Liberals believe in freedom of speech (provided you speak only what they want to hear)

Liberals believe in open expression, and are open to new ideas (provided said expression and ideas match their world view)

Liberals love to engage in the arena of ideas (provided said ideas line up with their own. If they do not, then the deliverer of said different ideas must be silenced at any cost)

Liberals are all for freedom and individuality (provided said freedom and individuality falls within preset guidelines)

Point is that there is room for critism on both sides.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I believe that older form would be serfdom.
We pretty much are serfs. Just change the terms lords and nobles to banks and corporations, and it's very close to being the same. Our government takes taxes like kings used to; we pay property taxes on the land we own, similar to how a lord would take crop and money from peasants who lived on their land; and at the end of the day, not too many people who are at the top of the hierarchy really care that much about what happens to those below them.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I wonder what all this trite, cliche, propaganda about free market ideals has to do with the article cited in the OP on why people vote Republican? Would it be possible to get a Republican to read that article and comment on it?

LOL, I would say it is next to impossible. :sorry1:

The man has contempt for the status quo. His opinions are equally biased as mine are. :yes:

I could argue that the democratic party implies that they are for the little guy but time after time while they are in office they fail miserably at accomplishing anything tangible yet the little guy keeps voting democratic.