• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What say you? Or rather, what says your scripture?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Today's Delving into the Mysteries took me to Taoism. I made note of The Three Treasures: Compassion, Moderation, Humility.
This of course reminded me of Christianity's 1 Corinthians 13:13's Faith, Hope, Love

Then I thought how enlightening and uplifting to see similarities! Soooo

Let's do some comparisons, NOT to find disagreement, but commonalities.

I'll start with Tao te Ching #16
Empty your mind of all thoughts.
Let your heart be at peace.
Watch the turmoil of beings,
but contemplate their return.

Each separate being in the universe
returns to the common source.
Returning to the source is Serenity.

If you don't realize the source,
you stumble in confusion and sorrow.
When you realize where you come from,
you naturally become tolerant,
disinterested, amused,
kindhearted as a grandmother,
dignified as a king.
Immersed in the wonder of the Tao,
you can deal with whatever life brings you,
and when death comes, you are ready.

Can you find a similar thought from your religion to share?

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Three treasures are the rules of society, they are there in all religions, at least for records' sake.
Compassion, Moderation, Humility. But Gods do not follow it in many religions. They are spiteful and hungry for revenge.

Spice

Christian New Testament
John 14:1 “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me."
Christian New Testament (Prodigal Son)
Luke 15:32 "‘But we had to celebrate and rejoice, for this brother of yours was dead and has begun to live, and was lost and has been found.’”
Okay, I've done two more, and it took a bit of thought, but I think I matched some good stuff. It's a good exercise for digging in the memory bank and the scriptures.
Now I know there are people on this site who know their holy text, do let's see some comparables. Do some digging and share.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Striving to live a virtuous life of compassion, integrity, non-violence, non-judgment, gratitude, and detachment from material desires mitigates suffering for both oneself and the world, and ultimately leads to a blissful existence.

Bhagavad Gita 16.1-3
The Supreme Divine Personality said: O scion of Bharat, these are the saintly virtues of those endowed with a divine nature—fearlessness, purity of mind, steadfastness in spiritual knowledge, charity, control of the senses, sacrifice, study of the sacred books, austerity, and straightforwardness; non-violence, truthfulness, absence of anger, renunciation, peacefulness, restraint from fault-finding, compassion toward all living beings, absence of covetousness, gentleness, modesty, and lack of fickleness; vigor, forgiveness, fortitude, cleanliness, bearing enmity toward none, and absence of vanity.​

Spice

For Hindus, the simple:
"Paropakaram punyaya, papaya parapeedanam."
Helping others is merit, giving pain to others is sin.
I like that. Very straightforward.
It took me two verses to match up in Christianity. I doubt I'd find a match so on the nail.

Christian New Testament
1 Peter 4:8 "Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins."
James 4:17 "So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin."

Spice

Striving to live a virtuous life of compassion, integrity, non-violence, non-judgment, gratitude, and detachment from material desires mitigates suffering for both oneself and the world, and ultimately leads to a blissful existence.

Bhagavad Gita 16.1-3
The Supreme Divine Personality said: O scion of Bharat, these are the saintly virtues of those endowed with a divine nature—fearlessness, purity of mind, steadfastness in spiritual knowledge, charity, control of the senses, sacrifice, study of the sacred books, austerity, and straightforwardness; non-violence, truthfulness, absence of anger, renunciation, peacefulness, restraint from fault-finding, compassion toward all living beings, absence of covetousness, gentleness, modesty, and lack of fickleness; vigor, forgiveness, fortitude, cleanliness, bearing enmity toward none, and absence of vanity.​
It's going to take some digging for me to find a match here, but it's an excellent challenge! I really like putting "oneself and the world" together for a "blissful existence."

RestlessSoul

The Four Noble Truths are accepted by all schools of Buddhism and have been the subject of extensive commentary. They may be summarized as follows. The first truth, suffering (Pali: dukkha; Sanskrit: duhkha), is characteristic of existence in the realm of rebirth, called samsara (literally “wandering”).

The second truth is the origin (Pali and Sanskrit: samudaya) or cause of suffering, which the Buddha associated with craving or attachment in his first sermon.

The third truth is the cessation of suffering (Pali and Sanskrit: nirodha), commonly called nibbana (Sanskrit: nirvana).

The fourth and final truth is the path (Pali: magga; Sanskrit: marga) to the cessation of suffering, which was described by the Buddha in his first sermon.

- Donald s Lopez, writing for Britannica

John 16:33​

“These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”

King James Version (KJV)

rocala

Bhagavad Gita 16.1-3
It's going to take some digging for me to find a match here, but it's an excellent challenge! I really like putting "oneself and the world" together for a "blissful existence."
I certainly agree @Spice it is a tough one.
However, Salix's post did remind me of this,

" Perseverance is the essential requirement in the practice of yoga. It has to be done day by day, week by week, year by year, until the mind is brought to the 'still point' where it is open to the grace of God."
Bede Griffiths

firedragon

Veteran Member
Today's Delving into the Mysteries took me to Taoism. I made note of The Three Treasures: Compassion, Moderation, Humility.
This of course reminded me of Christianity's 1 Corinthians 13:13's Faith, Hope, Love

Then I thought how enlightening and uplifting to see similarities! Soooo

Each separate being in the universe
returns to the common source.
Returning to the source is Serenity.

If you don't realize the source,
you stumble in confusion and sorrow.
When you realize where you come from,
you naturally become tolerant,
disinterested, amused,
kindhearted as a grandmother,
dignified as a king.
Immersed in the wonder of the Tao,
you can deal with whatever life brings you,
and when death comes, you are ready.

If someone cherry picks, most scripture will have quite rosy sentiments.