• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to you constitutes "modest" dress?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Oh, now it's someone in a bar, not just someone on the street, like your earlier example?

I am giving you another example of someone who interacts with a stranger, this time with the same limitation of age.

The bartender has to be careful, yet he can still serve drinks to perfect strangers.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I am giving you another example of someone who interacts with a stranger, this time with the same limitation of age.

The bartender has to be careful, yet he can still serve drinks to perfect strangers.
Hey, I consider it a major step forward that you are now limiting the perfect strangers with whom you try to have sex with to people in bars, rather than just anyone off the street. :D

Me Myself

Back to my username
Hey, I consider it a major step forward that you are now limiting the perfect strangers with whom you try to have sex with to people in bars, rather than just anyone off the street. :D

Me myself am to shy to even try to try to persuade to sex to random women in a nightclub xD.

But I am not sure if you are good with analogies. You seem to confuse too much the factors analoguos to the irrelevant. For example, in the analogy of the bartender, the relevant factor is thatthe bartender interacts with a complete stranger depending on his her age. That's it. I am not puting any special place for the sex case.

In any case, the subject is whether it diminishes someone or not. And the place has no relevance on that.

You imply that unless you deeply know someone, it is diminishing to want to have sex with said someone. Thats still ridiculous.

crossfire

Premium Member
Me myself am to shy to even try to try to persuade to sex to random women in a nightclub xD.

But I am not sure if you are good with analogies.
I'm a mystic. Of course I'm good with analogies. My score for Miller's analogy test was off the chart.
You seem to confuse too much the factors analoguos to the irrelevant. For example, in the analogy of the bartender, the relevant factor is thatthe bartender interacts with a complete stranger depending on his her age. That's it. I am not puting any special place for the sex case.
LOL! My pointing out false analogies is confusion on my part! I love it!

In any case, the subject is whether it diminishes someone or not. And the place has no relevance on that.
Gee, I thought the subject was "modest" dress, but what the heck.

You imply that unless you deeply know someone, it is diminishing to want to have sex with said someone. Thats still ridiculous.
Please quote the post where I wrote this. If not, you can expect to have your "ridiculous" label thrown right back at you. (fair warning)

Me Myself

Back to my username
I'm a mystic. Of course I'm good with analogies. My score for Miller's analogy test was off the chart.

LOL! My pointing out false analogies is confusion on my part! I love it!

Gee, I thought the subject was "modest" dress, but what the heck.

Please quote the post where I wrote this. If not, you can expect to have your "ridiculous" label thrown right back at you. (fair warning)

Yu said you agreed wi horrorble :shrug:

About the analogies, well, if you got good skills, you dont seem to be using them well suddenly.:shrug:

I ve said plenty thats e only thing I am arguing. I does not diminish a persons personhood if soemone wants to have sex with said person without throughly knowing said person.

crossfire

Premium Member
Yu said you agreed wi horrorble :shrug:
You must mean this post:
Hey, I agree with Horroble. My observations from being groped and constantly being hit on is that the men doing this are not thinking with their frontal lobes.

I still totally stand by what I posted here. If they are not thinking with their frontal lobes, it it not difficult to demonstrate the fact without any doubt to even the most casual observer.
About the analogies, well, if you got good skills, you dont seem to be using them well suddenly.:shrug:
LOL!

I ve said plenty thats e only thing I am arguing. I does not diminish a persons personhood if soemone wants to have sex with said person without throughly knowing said person.
Shall I post some of your quotes from this thread that will prove otherwise?

Me Myself

Back to my username
You must mean this post:

I still totally stand by what I posted here. If they are not thinking with their frontal lobes, it it not difficult to demonstrate the fact without any doubt to even the most casual observer.

LOL!

Shall I post some of your quotes from this thread that will prove otherwise?

When I asked you if that was what you meant your response was "well, yeah"

Quote what you will

Wherenextcolumbus

Thats cool I dont think you have to at all. The stupidity that yu talk about is common not only in guys but also in gals, the **** shame goes both ways unfortunately, and I ve had to stop more than one female friend talk as if another woman was doing anything wrong simply because she feels comfortable with her sexuality.

In any case, all that stupidity is not inherently linked to that behaviour " heard guys talking" is not "heard all the boys in the world that pick up girls in a nightclub talking"

Its not a job, true, but so what? Yu were arguing that having an interactiowith someone you dont know fully to saciate a need diminishes them as persons.

I am saying it doesnt and giving you an example of when you need a taxi.

You need a lift. The taxi driver can provide you the service of getting you somewhere and recieves money in exchange. With a person you find sexy in this case, you want sex, the person could have sex with you if s/he so desired and also recieve sex in turn.

Sure, it would be bad if you pretended you wanted MORE than sex and en only wanted sex, but otherwise, its just a win win situation.

I was talking about a personal or intimate interaction which is why you can't compare it to a job interaction. Not all interactions are the same.
To be honest if a guy was simply trying to have sex with me I probably wouldn't even know unless he sexually assaulted me or simply said "come home with me" or something along those lines.
To be honest the ones who take you out to dinner and then expect sex are probably the worse kind.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Why you asking?
I thought my post was pretty self explanatory, following some of the latest exchange which seems to include a moral debate about how, when and with who to have sex with or to have sexual attraction towards. Reading the last few pages, it's very easy to get lost there.
But then again, you can always continue to further argue your points and ignore my question if you don't wish to address it.

Wherenextcolumbus

I thought my post was pretty self explanatory, following some of the latest exchange which seems to include a moral debate about how, when and with who to have sex with or to have sexual attraction towards. Reading the last few pages, it's very easy to get lost there.
But then again, you can always continue to further argue your points and ignore my question if you don't wish to address it.

I don't think anyone was saying that you should only have sex with someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, which is why I asked why you ask

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The first thing what man want in the Quran is women:

"Beautified for men is the love of things they covet; women, children, much of gold and silver (wealth), branded beautiful horses, cattle and well-tilled land. This is the pleasure of the present world's life; but Allah has the excellent return (Paradise) with Him” (Surah Aal ‘Imran, 14)

If that is truly from the Quran, I am gobsmacked.
That it suggests we should covert any thing or any one is terrible.
That we should covert women is disgraceful.
Certainly we should rejoice in our partners, but we never own or are master of them.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I don't think anyone was saying that you should only have sex with someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, which is why I asked why you ask

When I was a young fellow and perhaps "interested" in Girls of your age or so.
I firmly believed that While unmarried sex was certainly possible, it should not be undertaken with someone you would not wish to marry. Safe contraception had not yet arrived (the pill was still several years off.) Chance never has been the best way to conceive, and some STD were virtually untreatable and many not yet even testable.

However the approaching "60's" brought a freedom unknown to previous generations.
And a change in mores that are still causing problems.

There are good practical, social and medical reasons for not being promiscuous. The least valid are religious reasons.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
If that is truly from the Quran, I am gobsmacked.
That it suggests we should covert any thing or any one is terrible.
That we should covert women is disgraceful.
Certainly we should rejoice in our partners, but we never own or are master of them.

No it doesn't say, "You go and covet these things!" It's saying that men tend to covet these.

Wherenextcolumbus

When I was a young fellow and perhaps "interested" in Girls of your age or so.
I firmly believed that While unmarried sex was certainly possible, it should not be undertaken with someone you would not wish to marry. Safe contraception had not yet arrived (the pill was still several years off.) Chance never has been the best way to conceive, and some STD were virtually untreatable and many not yet even testable.

However the approaching "60's" brought a freedom unknown to previous generations.
And a change in mores that are still causing problems.

There are good practical, social and medical reasons for not being promiscuous. The least valid are religious reasons.

I think the problem is probably with drunk sex where there is more of a risk of contraception not being used.
Also maybe social pressure to be promiscuous amongst teenagers. I went to a girls school and didn't experience this problem with my friends.I have younger sisters and found it quite disturbing when they would should me facebook pictures of girls they knew between the ages of 12-14 posing in very sexual positions with tight clothing, I'm talking lad magazine posing. Sometimes wearing high heels and breast out.
I'm quite worried for young girls.
I also see a lot of young girls with babies where I live, I mean 18 years and under.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Reading some of the posts above, it seems as if some members live in a world in which only men objectify women, and in which some members find the idea of having sheer physical attraction without romance involved to be foreign. Just my impression after scrolling through a few pages.
I'm sorry but that's not the world I know. I've been objectified by women countless of times, and in truth... I have been objectified by women much more than I have objectified them. In addition, I find it very common to hear women talk ONLY about the physical properties of men they find attractive without giving any attention to their level of IQ or their personality. This is my cross cultural impression, and is not limited to only certain places.
While I can't say that I never hear sexual comments about women, for the most part the male environment I'm familiar with can be very respectful of women and their space, so reading some posts here, it seems that some of the members here are very unfortunate to live in very extreme environments in which men literally drool when there is a woman around and cant avoid making sleazy comments behind women's back. Sorry but that's messed up, and I would never consider it a standard or normal nor acceptable environment, and certainly NOT common male attitude.

Personally, I also need a mental 'click' to be able to go to bed with someone. But it is certainly not strange for people to look for sex based on physical attributes and desire, not pointing any fingers here, but lets leave the puritanism out of this. Sometimes both women and men just look for a good night. No strings, no baggage, just safe sex... if anything resumes from there, it might be good, but that's certainly not necessarily the goal. And I'm not sure there is anything wrong with such objectification with a decent partner. I can certainly appreciate a sexy curve on a woman's body, a good physique, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. When a woman compliments me on my physical appearance, I certainly do not think: "What a creep". I take the compliment as it comes.

Wherenextcolumbus

Reading some of the posts above, it seems as if some members live in a world in which only men objectify women, and in which some members find the idea of having sheer physical attraction without romance involved to be foreign. Just my impression after scrolling through a few pages.
I'm sorry but that's not the world I know. I've been objectified by women countless of times, and in truth... I have been objectified by women much more than I have objectified them. In addition, I find it very common to hear women talk ONLY about the physical properties of men they find attractive without giving any attention to their level of IQ or their personality. This is my cross cultural impression, and is not limited to only certain places.
While I can't say that I never hear sexual comments about women, for the most part the male environment I'm familiar with can be very respectful of women and their space, so reading some posts here, it seems that some of the members here are very unfortunate to live in very extreme environments in which men literally drool when there is a woman around and cant avoid making sleazy comments behind women's back. Sorry but that's messed up, and I would never consider it a standard or normal nor acceptable environment, and certainly NOT common male attitude.

Personally, I also need a mental 'click' to be able to go to bed with someone. But it is certainly not strange for people to look for sex based on physical attributes and desire, not pointing any fingers here, but lets leave the puritanism out of this. Sometimes both women and men just look for a good night. No strings, no baggage, just safe sex... if anything resumes from there, it might be good, but that's certainly not necessarily the goal. And I'm not sure there is anything wrong with such objectification with a decent partner. I can certainly appreciate a sexy curve on a woman's body, a good physique, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. When a woman compliments me on my physical appearance, I certainly do not think: "What a creep". I take the compliment as it comes.

If you are talking about me, that isn't what I meant, I never said there shouldn't be sex without being in love or being in a relationship. Or there aren't any women who would have sex with someone purely based on what they look like. I believe in the female gaze.
I was actually talking about myself.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
i read an intersting news article today about a tunisian woman who took her clothes off and wrote on her body '“my body belongs to me, and is not the source of the honor of anyone”

i was thinking about that statement and believe she is 100% right. There is no problem with a womans body...but with the way men look at and think about womens bodies. So the problem is not with women, but with men...men who look with perverted eyes.

You could cover every women in the world from head to toe, and the problem would persist because the problem is not with women at all... it is with men. And its time men took responsibility for themselves and admit that the fault is with them...stop making women responsible for something that essentially begins with your own twisted mind.

Eve was created in a naked state.... it was only when the man sinned (fell away from Gods goodness) that he looked at his wife differently...so to look or think of a women in a perverted way is actually to carry on a sin.

btw, if anyone is interested in this girl, her name is Amina

Except for those with no sexual inclinations, we all become aroused and will pursue to various levels our desires. What is an appropriate level of wooing varies as much as what is considered 'modest' or 'acceptable.'

Wirey

Fartist
What, in your opinion is socially acceptable or modest dress?

Do you think that modest clothing are necessary in today's society, or are such restrictions merely unnecessary social conventions?

If I wouldn't get fined, I'd be walking around with a face cloth wrapped around my wang and my balls swinging free (gotta wrap Mr. Happy in case of frostbite).