• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What version of the bible do you find most accurate?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I would think everything.
I would agree wih you if you are talking about the person being inspired that his/her faith in the Bible is correct.

However, I still do not understand why one has to have faith that a particular version of the Bible was inspired by god in order to have faith in said Bible.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What does it being inspired have to do with anything? Especially when you are dealing with faith?
I would think everything.
I would agree wih you if you are talking about the person being inspired that his/her faith in the Bible is correct.

However, I still do not understand why one has to have faith that a particular version of the Bible was inspired by god in order to have faith in said Bible.
On what other grounds might one have faith (as opposed to confidence) in a particular interpretation?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Oh, sorry, I was reffering to the one that had been in parenthieses, "Faith". If I followed the thread convo right I think that's where communication broke down.

Faith is confidence in action. If there is someone who always speaks the truth, I have confidence in what they say and act accordingly by faith.

For instance: if God tells me not to commit adultery and I have found by experience that He always tells me the truth, then by faith I will not commit adultery. Before I was saved the opposite was true I had to find out things the hard way by experience and then it was too late to undo my mistakes.

Humanistheart

Faith is confidence in action. If there is someone who always speaks the truth, I have confidence in what they say and act accordingly by faith.

For instance: if God tells me not to commit adultery and I have found by experience that He always tells me the truth, then by faith I will not commit adultery. Before I was saved the opposite was true I had to find out things the hard way by experience and then it was too late to undo my mistakes.

Thank you muffled, however we were asking jayhawk specifically for his definition. From what I can tell he lost a debate to mestemia and then said it came down to a definition of the word faith, for which he never provide a definition, most likely out of embarrassment.

If god told you not to commit adultery, and you found he tells you the truth, you don't commit adultery... and what truth would be involved in telling you not to commit adultery? And if you find this god has lied to you?

Also, so it stays relevant to the main topic, what version of the bible do you use, and why?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Thank you muffled, however we were asking jayhawk specifically for his definition. From what I can tell he lost a debate to mestemia and then said it came down to a definition of the word faith, for which he never provide a definition, most likely out of embarrassment.

If god told you not to commit adultery, and you found he tells you the truth, you don't commit adultery... and what truth would be involved in telling you not to commit adultery? And if you find this god has lied to you?

Also, so it stays relevant to the main topic, what version of the bible do you use, and why?

Ro 10:17 So belief cometh of hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. (That is ASV and the reason I have it is that I get it for free on my computer.)

Ro 10: 17 So faith comes from hearing and hearing by the word of Christ. (That is NAST which is the study bible that I use for the reasons I have stated on a previous message)

The revision makes a lot of sense to me but I couldn't vouch for the translation from the Greek/

Humanistheart

Ro 10:17 So belief cometh of hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. (That is ASV and the reason I have it is that I get it for free on my computer.)

Ro 10: 17 So faith comes from hearing and hearing by the word of Christ. (That is NAST which is the study bible that I use for the reasons I have stated on a previous message)

The revision makes a lot of sense to me but I couldn't vouch for the translation from the Greek/

Well, that's a nice quote, but we haven't had a christ yet so it's hardly relevant. You may have been thinking of jesus when you posted that, but he did not fullfill one single messianic prophicy, and is in absolutely no way a messiah/christ.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well, that's a nice quote, but we haven't had a christ yet so it's hardly relevant. You may have been thinking of jesus when you posted that, but he did not fullfill one single messianic prophicy, and is in absolutely no way a messiah/christ.

That is a bit of a cop out on your part. Even you would have to admit that Paul is talking about Jesus whether you believe what Paul is calling Him or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Humanistheart

That is a bit of a cop out on your part. Even you would have to admit that Paul is talking about Jesus whether you believe what Paul is calling Him or not.

On the other hand such a baseless view of prophecy fulfillment reveals that you don't give a damn about evidence or truth and that all you really care about is your own thinking which doesn't appear to be worth much.

Inccorect. This is the same answer you'll get if you ask a rabbi concerning jesus. The simple fact is, he fullfilled not one single prophicy, and keep in mind the jewish people's answestors wrote the books of the bible, and had a few thousand more years to consider there meaning than the rest of us. It's amazing how little christians know their bibles. At any rate there's already a thread on here entitled what if jesus was the anti-christ, in which not one person could defend the fact that jesus is more aplty called anti-christ than chirst. If you feel this is innacurate and you can do better than all that tried before you, by all means find that thread and post this there.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I believe there are superior translations but I don't believe that any one translation of the bible is perfect.

Because of that, I use the myriad of study tools available in print and online. It is very helpful - in fact, I believe critical - to go back to the original language and study the meanings of the Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic words when studying the bible. It's also critical to put things into perspective by studying the historical context. We also need to take into serious account the LITERARY STYLE of the particular book that we are reading.

We need to take personal responsibility for our study of the Bible. At no other time in history has the common man (and woman) had so many excellent resources literally at their fingertips to use to understand the bible more completely.

There's simply no excuse for sloppy study habits.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Positing that you aren't just saying Nya Nya, Nya Nya, Nya, what evidence do you have that I do not believe in evidence or that I rely on my own thinking?
Gee, how about your post where you pretty much said that you take your own private interpretation over that of any interpretation that disagrees with your own private interpretation?

Naw, couldn't have been that....:sarcastic

Oberon

Because of that, I use the myriad of study tools available in print and online. It is very helpful - in fact, I believe critical - to go back to the original language and study the meanings of the Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic words when studying the bible.

Unless you are actually familiar with the languages in question, this is just as likely to mislead. Looking at lexicons won't get you very far in understanding most passages in Greek or Hebrew. Languages consist not merely of various words with a particular semantic range, but of constructions wherein these various words, particles, morphemes, etc, are given meaning by virtue of the construction.

Simply looking at lexicons can result in the problems I had with someone doing just that in this thread: Against AK4: Rev. 14:11 and Eternity

The relevant point is that a particular noun can have a wide semantic range, but when incorporated into a particular construction, like a prepositional phrase, this semantic range is limited. Without being familiar with the moods, syntax, particles, etc, of greek and hebrew, a lexicon won't get you very far.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It will get you a lot further than a simplistic reading of the King James Version will.