• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What we mean by "there is no evidence for theism"

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Well, that is the irony of forms of claims of evidence and what not. They are cognitive. :) Including this one. :D
I know so many theists that it is difficult to say that theism has no evidence. What there is no evidence for, is the object of their beliefs.

Ciao

- viole

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I know so many theists that it is difficult to say that theism has no evidence. What there is no evidence for, is the object of their beliefs.

Ciao

- viole

Yeah, And I know at least some non-religious people who don't understand the difference between methodological and philosophical naturalism. So what? Not all humans check their belief systems and that is not unique to theists.

Ella S.

My "deities" are personifications of abstract concepts that appear to us in the form of psychological archetypes. I don't think it makes sense to ask whether they exist or not. I'm concerned with the mystical, internal reflection of divinity, just as the ancient wise men were.

Other forms of theism that work more as approaches to spiritual practice than literal truth claims include Naturalistic Pantheism and Apophatic Theology.

setarcos

The hopeful or the hopeless?

Ciao

- viole
So, what evidence do you think should be found if the object of their beliefs existed? Can you give me some example as a starting point?

Jacob Samuelson

At its core, this topic boils down what is meant by "evidence."

I define evidence as "Anything that lets us reliably differentiate between ideas that are merely imaginary, and ideas that accurately describe reality."

So, if you propose some method, framework, or argument as evidence, but that same framework can equally support a contradictory conclusion by replacing some nouns in your argument, then this wouldn't count as evidence. For example, you can propose an eternal necessary god as the ultimate foundation of reality, but I can propose with no more or less evidence an eternal necessary aspect of nature instead, with brute-fact mindless properties that cause it to create the world exactly as we see it.

The best framework for creating reliable evidence that humans have identified is the scientific method. In particular, novel testable predictions that are tested and confirmed. If you think a different method also works, just demonstrate that and it will become part of science.

The scientific method outputs evidence that can support one predictive model while excluding that model's explanatory competitors. A "model" is a conceptual framework about how some aspect of reality works. Evidence is provided when a new prediction made by a model, that no one has tested before, is subsequently tested and confirmed to be accurate. A supported model is more likely to be objectively true than the unsupported models, but note that there is no "proof" or "truth" or metaphysical certainty. It simply has demonstrated that it reflects a deeper understanding of some part of reality.

In science, a very very supported model, which has made many new and accurate predictions, becomes a "theory." While every model is imperfect and has explanatory boundaries, the fact that they can predict things we don't know yet about reality is the hallmark of science and the method guiding its discoveries about the facts of reality. This is why we have airplanes, computers, and medicine today.

So far, theism as a model, as a conceptual framework about reality, has no evidence to support its accurate correspondence to reality. It also has no supporting evidence produced by the scientific method, and so it can't be meaningfully distinguished from the infinite array of other false imaginary models that don't accurately describe or correspond to reality. It could still be true, just like any of the other imaginary models have a tiny chance to be true, but that is a useless possibility because it is functionally zero. Theism in general isn't even a predictive model, just a post hoc sufficient explanation of the things we already knew; its various forms don't typically rise to the level of a testable hypothesis.

From everything I've ever seen, forms of evidence that theists propose are unreliable and/or fallacious. A fallacy is a way of reasoning, identified by logicians, that reliably leads to false conclusions. Another way to say this is that the arguments are not valid in logical structure, or the premises are not sound because they cannot be demonstrated. Here are some common argument forms proposed as evidence by theists, which are in fact not evidence:

1. "I believe that the book is true because the book says it contains perfect truth, and says it cannot be wrong." This is circular reasoning, a fallacy. It is not evidence because any other contradictory book making similar claims is equally supported.

2. "I define morality as coming from a god. We have morality. Therefore god exists," or "I define god as existing necessarily, therefore god exists." Definitions are not evidence. They describe our thoughts about abstract ideas in our heads. This is imagination. Nothing tethers it to the actual facts of reality.

3. "We don't have an explanation for X. I can imagine a thing G that, if it existed, would sufficiently explain X. Therefore this is evidence for G." This is not evidence, but a fallacy called the Argument from Ignorance. For any phenomenon, there are an infinite number of explanations we could propose that would sufficiently explain the phenomenon. The proposal by itself, of any one of these infinite explanations, is not evidence.

4. "I just can't imagine how life could arise without a guiding intelligence. A supernatural creator feels like the most probable explanation." This is an Argument from Incredulity, a fallacy. Your failure of imagination is not evidence, nor is your imagination evidence for reality. If you have an idea for an explanation, you need to show that it corresponds to reality with specific supporting evidence.

5. "I intuitively feel that god exists," or "I don't know how I would get out bed each morning if I didn't believe in god," or "I'm afraid of dying and god gives me hope for eternal life." Emotional appeal is not evidence that something is true. Subjective feelings are not evidence. Different people have wildly different and often contradictory emotional needs, intuitions, and hopes, depending on their culture and personality.

6. "Look at how influential religion X has been throughout history," or "look at how many people believe religion X." This is called a bandwagon fallacy. Different popular beliefs hold sway at different times, many of which are contradictory or have been proven factually wrong.

7. "I had an emotional experience at summer camp that one year, that I can't explain, and I know it was god filling me with love." Again, this is an argument from ignorance. Religious indoctrination primes people to interpret emotional feelings a certain way, but this is not evidence because nothing specifically supports this explanation over any other.

8. "We prayed and someone's cancer disappeared" or "I converted and my drug addiction went away." Anecdotes are not evidence. The plural of anecdote is not data. There is a known rate of spontaneous remission for cancer, which occurs regardless of praying or not praying, or the religion of the patient. It occurs at similar rates in animals that have cancer. Likewise, people overcome drug addition through hobbies, marriage, divorce, and many other routes. There is no data that shows religiosity affects these ailments at a higher rather than anything else.

9. "I found a published paper that says light cures cancer, or consciousness is immaterial, or the earth is flat." Every group of experts includes a fringe minority with ideas that are not accepted by the majority consensus of experts in their field. A fringe view is not evidence. Publication of a finding does not make it evidence by itself; rather, the ability of the published finding to persuade the majority consensus of experts in the field is what transforms this finding into scientific evidence. This distinction, and this appeal to the scientific consensus, is often falsely labeled as a fallacious appeal to authority. However, this is only a fallacy when the proposed authority is not an actual authority (e.g. 90% of dentists agree that the Vikings are the best football team).

10. "I just have faith." Any idea can be believed on faith, therefore faith is not a reliable tool to distinguish false ideas from true ideas. Faith in the face of good evidence to the contrary is irrational.

Ok, that's enough for now! Sorry for the long post, but I hope this can be helpful for people. There are a lot of common arguments I didn't include, but they are also fallacious, unreliable methods for distinguishing imagination from reality.
Thank you for organizing atheistic beliefs into one post, However, the questions that are ultimately more important to a theist is not Does God Exist? or Can God Exist? I think it wastes far too much time to try and dispute this subjectively drenched yes or no question. To a theist the answer will always be yes based on simple observation that evidence will always remain inconclusive as the universe is theoretically infinite and properties on Earth or even the galaxy, may be completely different in another galaxies or star system. In the end, we are left with only one other concept, Do we want God to exist? or Do we not want God to exist? These are the real controversial question that Theist will need to answer in their lives. If we want God to exist, than we are left with the task of proving His existence personally in our lives. Personal relationships to Scriptures or Books about God, Natural Human Behaviors, Natural Life experiences, and Internal responses to emotions such as Joy and Sadness and Truth and Fallacy, culminates a personal evidence that God exists. The desire for wanting God to exist, is usually for a desire to simplify many difficult or complex issues of Life in general. The desire for God not to exist is usually because of a negative occurrence of the former. Atheist will say it is much easier in my life that God is a fictitious creation of Man's ignorance to reality. That God is a hinderance to scientific discovery. It is my belief, that all atheist are really just theist that quickly gave up proving God exists, where Theist are continuing to experiment the infinite outcomes and possibilities that God does exist. Theist should use the concept of God, not as a scapegoat for scientific discovery, but as an important formula to discover how many possibilities are out there in the Universe and reality. Ultimately, Atheist and Theist should recognize how infinitely small our knowledge of the Universe or God is.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Fair enough. Hopefully people understand that by theism, I mean the claims of theism. And yes, by my criteria for being able to show that something isn't imaginary, theistic claims fail.
How so? What is it's claim? How is it you understand that in order to say it fails? What qualifies as evidence for you?

And btw, I consider it odd how in your OP you say that you need to follow the scientific method, and then in the next post you say you're not an empiricist. Can you explain that, as the scientific method is based upon empiricism?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I define evidence as "Anything that lets us reliably differentiate between ideas that are merely imaginary, and ideas that accurately describe reality."
So then would you say that direct firsthand experience helps us discern between merely imaginary ideas, baseless speculation without foundations, and something actually existing in reality? Would you accept empiricism as a valid approach to understanding what is real, versus imaginary?

So, if you propose some method, framework, or argument as evidence, but that same framework can equally support a contradictory conclusion by replacing some nouns in your argument, then this wouldn't count as evidence. For example, you can propose an eternal necessary god as the ultimate foundation of reality, but I can propose with no more or less evidence an eternal necessary aspect of nature instead, with brute-fact mindless properties that cause it to create the world exactly as we see it.
I agree that a pantheist view is not the same thing as a scientific view, even though both are looking at the same thing. Pantheism is not, nor should be considered just another word for science. It's not "sexed up atheism" as Richard Dawkins ignorantly referred to it as.

The best framework for creating reliable evidence that humans have identified is the scientific method.
For what areas of life? Personal relationships? Meaning making? Finding personal happiness? I don't think science is the best framework to talk about love, do you? If so, how's your love life working out for you? :)

The scientific method outputs evidence that can support one predictive model while excluding that model's explanatory competitors.
In what domain of human life experience do you see the scientific method being applicable? Obviously the material, sensory domain is a given. How about the mental domain of human experience? How about the spiritual domain of human experience? How do you see it being applicable to the latter two?

Can you explain how you might apply it to understanding meditative states? Psychological states? And so forth?

A "model" is a conceptual framework about how some aspect of reality works. Evidence is provided when a new prediction made by a model, that no one has tested before, is subsequently tested and confirmed to be accurate.
So mental data is evidence then? You did not mention physical data, only mental data, like math. Correct? So the scientific method is useful for not only having physical conformation, but also for mental confirmations.

So would you allow evidence that comes from spiritual practices, such as higher states of consciousness by qualified researchers? If not, why not? Why can't the scientific method be followed to confirm spiritual data, if it can be followed for confirming mental data, such as mathematics?

A supported model is more likely to be objectively true than the unsupported models, but note that there is no "proof" or "truth" or metaphysical certainty. It simply has demonstrated that it reflects a deeper understanding of some part of reality.
Yes, this is how I understand the spiritual domain to be. Not supernatural, but it reflects "a deeper understanding of some part of reality". That exactly describes my view.

So when someone holds a 'theistic view', that can now be examined by looking at these different types of verifiable 'transrational' data. To answer an extremely brief response to that, is to say that anything in that domain of human experience, which there is plenty of data about, is 'transsymbolic' at that point. "Theism" is a mental symbolic image to try to speak to something beyond symbolic reality.

Symbolic reality is all the mental domain of human reality. So "God" is a mental symbol attached to a certain type of 'transsymbolic' experience. Just as our scientific understandings are symbolic in nature for a presymbolic reality, the physical material world.

So far, theism as a model, as a conceptual framework about reality, has no evidence to support its accurate correspondence to reality.
Sure it does, if you understand that theism is a way in which transrational experiences can be understood. Those experiences are in fact real experiences, and they have been researched, mapped out, and understood by qualified researchers and practitioners.

However, taking the data from the transrational domain, and using it to explain how nature works, bypassing the use of science, is categorically wrong. Therefore, theism as a substitute for actual science, is bogus.

If you believe that is all that theism is about, then you are in error. Your premise is false.

It also has no supporting evidence produced by the scientific method, and so it can't be meaningfully distinguished from the infinite array of other false imaginary models that don't accurately describe or correspond to reality.
Untrue, as I have just laid out. "Deity mysticism" is a category that can be examined by the scientific method. 1. Learn how to do the experiment. 2. Do the experiment. 3. Collect the data. 4. Compare the results with others who have done the experiments themselves. 5. Propose a model. Test it. Use it for predictions, etc.

That's following the scientific method, isn't it? Why can't it be applied to transmental, or spiritual domains of human experience, if it can be for the mental domains, as well as the physical or sensorimotor domains of human experience?

Theism in general isn't even a predictive model, just a post hoc sufficient explanation of the things we already knew; its various forms don't typically rise to the level of a testable hypothesis.
Those who are using theistic views of reality as a substitute or a competitor to the natural sciences to explain things like the origin of the species for instance, are neither doing valid science or valid theology. It's bad science, and bad theology.

That does not mean that a theistic view of life and reality, is invalid however. If you accept the reality of what science shows us about the world, as it is the best tool for that, that can be easily held within a theistic view of reality. In fact, science can help enhance that theistic view. It can make the world even more miraculous, and divine.

The theists you appear to be familiar with, are stuck on this idea that science and evolution denies God. It doesn't at all. From a theistic perspective, it simply means how they think about God, their mental ideas about what God is about, needs to grow with the information we have.

An emotional resistance is the problem, not belief in God itself as the foundation of all that is. The "Ground of Being" as Tillich called it.

Ok, that's enough for now! Sorry for the long post, but I hope this can be helpful for people. There are a lot of common arguments I didn't include, but they are also fallacious, unreliable methods for distinguishing imagination from reality.
Sorry for my long post too. I hope my response can be helpful to people as well, including your own understanding.

Last edited:

ppp

Untrue, as I have just laid out. "Deity mysticism" is a category that can be examined by the scientific method. 1. Learn how to do the experiment. 2. Do the experiment. 3. Collect the data. 4. Compare the results with others who have done the experiments themselves. 5. Propose a model. Test it. Use it for predictions, etc.

That's following the scientific method, isn't it? Why can't it be applied to transmental, or spiritual domains of human experience, if it can be for the mental domains, as well as the physical or sensorimotor domains of human experience?
Because there is no evidence that there are 'transmental or spiritual domains' to examine.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Apparently their peers in the APA wondered that as well.
You can disregard whatever doesn't fit your beliefs if you wish. It's not just this research, which is considered valid, regardless. There's lots more. But regardless of that. People do have these experiences. I have these experiences. If you choose to disregard them, I consider that not based upon the evidence. Experience is considered evidence. That makes it empirical data. How you interpret that data, needs to be done with care, not dismissiveness. If the latter, that's just religious bias. Like some other poster recently called meditation something along the lines of oxygen deprivation making you woozy, or such. I have no time for that nonsense.

ppp

You can disregard whatever doesn't fit your beliefs if you wish. It's not just this research, which is considered valid, regardless.
Apparently is=t is not considered valid by the APA. I'm sorry, but you don't get to dump on me just because their process does not measure up to scientific standards of their profession. If they come up with a testable and repeatable method for demonstrating their hypotheses, that the APA accepts then I will accept it, too. Don't grump at me because they have not done so, yet.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Apparently is=t is not considered valid by the APA. I'm sorry, but you don't get to dump on me just because their process does not measure up to scientific standards of their profession. If they come up with a testable and repeatable method for demonstrating their hypotheses, that the APA accepts then I will accept it, too. Don't grump at me because they have not done so, yet.
Do you have citations for this? From my understanding, Carl Jung, William James, Abraham Maslow, etc, are all considered highly regarded in their research into these areas. That mainstream may have problems with it, is not always the end all be all of the validity of the work, as though they were the Pope or something.

Again, what are you to do then with the research beyond just the transpersonal psychology work, that I cited as one example? There is neuro research done on Buddhist meditators, well documented and studies states of consciousness from multiple schools, etc. Are you going to just claim that is all just hooey? What of these ASC research? Are you willing to just disregard all of that?

Buddhism has been studying the human mind for a 1000 years longer than Western psychology has. Western psychology literally is still in diapers, by comparison. That the APA has issues with something they've haven't dived into with both feet, is not much surprise, let alone translates into a valid disqualification of this. I think you grant them far greater status as arbiritier of all truth than most might. But this isn't an anything goes sort of affair either, where its all just New Age woo woo. As this one abstract I just found goes to say:

Abstract

A history of humanistic and transpersonal psychology is presented as a backdrop to examining both the weak and the strong points of transpersonal psychology proper. On the negative side, transpersonal psychology can be faulted for being philosophically naive, poorly financed, at times almost anti‐intellectual, and frequently overrated as far as its influences. On the plus side, it presents an integrated approach to understanding 1)the phenomenology of scientific method, 2) the centrality of qualitative research for the future of the discipline, and 3) the importance of interdisciplinary communication. In the final analysis, its virtues outweigh its defects, and they prophecize new trends beyond the current revolution in the neurosciences.

Transpersonal psychology: Its several virtues
The point is, this not just wishful thinking stuff. There is data there to be examined. It can follow empiric research principles. Experience counts as evidence. Experience is empirical data. Those can be researched, replicated, and mapped. Certainly in the East they have. And now in the West, somewhat in its infancy it is as well.

ppp

Do you have citations for this? From my understanding, Carl Jung, William James, Abraham Maslow, etc, are all considered highly regarded in their research into these areas.
The article you linked.

That mainstream may have problems with it, is not always the end all be all of the validity of the work, as though they were the Pope or something.
There are a lot of crap ideas out there. Merely complaining about the mainstream not accepting your pet groups ideas is not persuasive. When they can convince their peers of their position and achieve mainstream consensus, then I will accept it. You are free to think that scientific consensus is like the Pope if you like.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I do most of my research these days in interdisciplinary fields and quantum foundations (and related areas). A nice thing about foundations is that questions which were largely "taboo" in physics (and often provoked open hostility) regarding what our best theories tell us about reality (or whether, in fact, they do this) are now asked quite readily and even urgently.
In none of my work, nor in the work of anybody I've encountered so far as I am able to tell, has anybody ever encountered a method that meets your standard of evidence.
In other words, your standard would basically rule out empirical studies and scientific research from counting as evidence. It's an unbelievably high standard.

The best framework for creating reliable evidence that humans have identified is the scientific method.
This method is largely a list adapted from a 1910 work from Dewey on critical reasoning entitled How We Think. Of course, the idea that there exists a method that characterizes scientific inquiry is older (e.g., Pearson's The Grammar of Science or going back to widely over-simplified but heavily referenced classics we have e.g., Francis Bacon or even Aristotle). And naïve Popperian ideas have also featured largely in pre-college as well as introductory college textbooks and science education more generally (actually, naïve Popperian falsification is something that a lot of practicing scientists were taught and many preach at least nominally).
The problem with the textbook presentations and their popular science counterparts is that they are wholly inaccurate, incredibly misleading, and generally harmful to the laypersons understanding of the nature of science (NOS) and scientific inquiry.
For decades now, various scientific societies and government organizations as well as scholarly research in the area of science education have issues numerous official publications, papers, literature for educators and policy makers, and much more trying to have this problem addressed (i.e., rid science classes and science texts of the description of The Scientific Method myth), but to little avail. As evidenced by this forum in recent months alone (not to mention wider social issues among those claiming to support science with slogans like Science is Real whilst misrepresenting what we do), the idea that there is such a thing as The Scientific Method persists. Yet, and so you don't have to simply rely on my word here, it's well-known this is a crock:
“Despite the resounding message from scientists that context determines method of inquiry, many science teachers continue to instill belief in a common “scientific method”—a myth that is reinforced by the prominence given to “the scientific method” in the introductory chapters of science textbooks."
Wong, S. L., & Hodson, D. (2009). From the horse's mouth: What scientists say about scientific investigation and scientific knowledge. Science education, 93(1), 109-130.

“It’s probably best to get the bad news out of the way first. The so-called scientific method is a myth” (p. 210)
Thurs, D. P. (2015). Myth 26. That the Scientific Method Accurately Reflects What Scientists Actually Do. In R. L. Numbers & K. Kampourakis (Eds.) Newton's Apple and Other Myths about Science (pp. 210-218). Harvard University Press.

“Scientists and historians do not always agree, but they do on this: there is no such thing as the scientific method, and there never was.” (p. 1)
Cowles, H. M. (2020). The Scientific Method: An Evolution of Thinking from Darwin to Dewey. Harvard University Press.

“If there is one thing that most people think is special about science, it is that it follows a distinctive “scientific method.” If there is one thing that the majority of philosophers of science agree on, it is the idea that there is no such thing as “scientific method.”” (p. 9)
McIntyre, L. (2019). The Scientific Attitude: Defending Science From Denial, Fraud, and Pseudoscience. MIT Press.

In his book Science and Common Sense, famed scientist and former president of Harvard James B. Conan remarks (in a chapter with the provocative title “Concerning the alleged scientific method”) “[t]here is no such thing as the scientific method. If there were, surely an examination of the history of physics, chemistry and biology would reveal it.”

In science, a very very supported model, which has made many new and accurate predictions, becomes a "theory."
I hear this all the time and every time I imagine some alchemical process where a tiny hypotheses that has grown by being fed critical experimental tests has finely reached maturation and burst from its chrysalis at some International Conference of Real Scientists in Lab Coats to emerge as a fully grown, beautiful "theory."

Back to reality, though, this is just not how things work. It is true that a great many research papers (probably most) include clear statements regarding hypotheses the authors explicitly state about the research they did (that these and the nature of such papers actually hide more than they reveal, particularly about the decisions made, hypotheses formulated and reformulated, the context in which the hypotheses can even make sense, etc.). But I would like to see a few clear examples in some scientific literature where somebody proposes or acknowledges that some hypothesis should be cleared for acceptance as a theory. It would be nice if this word was actually generally used in this sense.
But, of course, it isn't. How "theory" is used in the literature depends heavily on the field. In many sciences there exists a framework or theory that is about hypothesis testing. It can't be supported by hypotheses because it is about a general method for applying classes of statistical tests to data together with a means of determining whether or not the data support hypotheses (like those accursed p-values or NHST more generally).
In fields like HEP, particle physics, and most areas which rely a lot on quantum field theories, "theory" refers to a Hamiltonian or more likely Lagrangian:
“In practice, “theory” and “Lagrangian” mean the same thing.” (p. 1.)
Kane, G. (2017). Modern Elementary Particle Physics: Explaining and Extending the Standard Model. Cambridge University Press.

Elsewhere in the natural sciences, terms like "model", "theory", "principle", "law", "hypothesis", "postulate", are frequently used in different ways, used interchangeably, and most importantly almost never in the textbook manner:
“The waters of the present discussion are sometimes muddied by the variety of terms used to describe the same thing. We speak, for example, of the gas laws, Planck’s quantum hypothesis, the Pauli principle and the postulates of quantum mechanics. Each term highlighted in italics has essentially the same meaning...” (p. 6; italics in original)
Grinter, R. (2005). The Quantum in Chemistry: An Experimentalist's View. Wiley.

Nor is the stepwise, heirarchical view of scientific knowledge progressing from hypothesis to theory (and on to become a Law in old age, perhaps?) an accurate one. In reality, we can't formulate hypothesis without theory, we can't test hypotheses without theory, and in most fields it doesn't even make sense to formulate research questions designed to expand and improve our knowledge about reality without relying on the very theories we are ostensibly in some sense "testing". And even if this were possible, it still wouldn't be true that scientific research involves the kind of transition to "theory" that you describe:
"Theories and laws are sometimes presented as a stepwise progression from hypothesis to theory to law. Books, faculty, and GTAs often refer to the strict objectivity of scientists, and the only acknowledgment of creativity is during experimental design, if that is even a part of the laboratory. Laboratories that focus on cookbook procedures serve to reemphasize these misconceptions by presenting science as purely experimental, with no room for creativity, focusing on objective measures of right and wrong to reach a clear answer. It is hard to imagine that students could gain an appropriate understanding of NOS under these conditions.” (p. 210; emphasis added)
Schussler, E. E., & Bautista, N. U. (2012). Learning about nature of science in undergraduate biology laboratories. In M. S. Khine (Ed.) Advances in Nature of Science Research: Concepts and Methodologies (pp. 207-224). Springer.

While every model is imperfect and has explanatory boundaries, the fact that they can predict things we don't know yet about reality is the hallmark of science and the method guiding its discoveries about the facts of reality. This is why we have airplanes, computers, and medicine today.
This is closer to the truth. Prediction is indeed an incredibly important part of scientific inquiry. However, most of the time that we do things like build working airplanes or computers it has considerably less to do with "facts of reality" and considerably more to do with "incorrect/inaccurate pictures of reality that as approximations have a useful domain of validity in application". Also, while prediction is key, it is simply not the case that "the fact that [scientists/science] can predict things we don't yet know about reality is the hallmark of science" nor does this guide "discoveries about the facts of reality." You are throwing the term "reality" around quite carelessly given that your thread topic is about evidence and specifically concerned with a standard of evidence that tells about reality itself. We don't understand yet what it is that makes solids as we can't yet approach the kinds of solutions to the quantum many-body problem that would perhaps inform us why we have "bronze" in a why that is less qualitative than Aristotle's. But we use bronze and other materials and use classical mechanics and other theories that do not correspond to reality when we do things like build airplanes.

Theism in general isn't even a predictive model
For the most part, neither is evolutionary theory (there are huge caveats here, of course, but it is still a core principle of evolutionary theory that there are unpredictable, essential random elements that preclude predictive models even without the worry about ascribing teleological status to natural processes). But theism isn't a model. So far, you've laid down a level of evidence that science can't meet, and for some reason argued this tells us something about the lack of evidence for theism. Granted, I don't spend a lot of time with theists, but I do know some and I've been here for years and most theists don't think of the evidence that they rely on as the kind that is used in the sciences. Also, different sciences use evidence differently (and treat things like theories and models in fundamentally different ways), while there are entire disciplines that are concerned with understanding reality and with evidence (like history) which don't use scientific methods either.

From everything I've ever seen, forms of evidence that theists propose are unreliable and/or fallacious. A fallacy is a way of reasoning, identified by logicians, that reliably leads to false conclusions.
Fallacies allow for false conclusions or poor arguments, they do not reliably lead there.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
On the contrary, the evidence for theism is all around us. Just look as the number of members of this forum who subscribe to it. Or observe the religious buildings all over the place.

From your lengthy post I assume however you do not mean that evidence of theism is lacking but that evidence of God is lacking - according to the criteria that you deem acceptable.
Ok, this is what I should have said.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What part of science do I ignore?
So far, all of it.
You can make testable predictions that a phenomenon will occur in the future. You can also make testable predictions that, if a certain explanation for the phenomenon is X, then we will see certain results in the future if we run a certain new test. Both work just fine.
In 1801, Young did the first experiments that showed (contra Newton and therefore widely held beliefs) that light was not corpuscular (composed of particles) but was a wave. During subsequent decades, one of the most successful physical theories ever devised grew out of this knowledge that light was a wave and with the study of such waves, leading to the unification of theories of magnetism and electricity into the elegant, powerful framework of classical electromagnetism. Light was not only a wave, it was just one out of a spectrum of electromagnetic waves that explained (and continue to "explain") all sorts of phenomena from stellar astrophysics to modern medical technology and more.
In 1905, in order to explain the photoelectric effect, Einstein built off of Planck's 1900 move to explain the blackbody problem with by going radically further and positing that light was composed of particular Lichtquanta (later termed photons). This explained the photoelectric effect.
The problem was that basically by definition (or rather a plethora of definitions, theories, laws, etc.) waves and particles are fundamentally different physical phenomena.
So we have two explanations that both made incredibly successful predictions and which are in complete contradiction with one another.
Why? Because they were both based upon a slew of theoretical assumptions and presuppositions that were inadequate to distinguish reality from the imaginary (or to meet your criteria of evidence). It turns out that the idea that there are things like waves and particles in reality was and is a convenient fiction (or at the very least, if one is e.g., a determined Bohmian, then the waves and particles of classical physics and used in modern physics are convenient fictions).

There are many other examples of varying types that serve to illustrate how you are dramatically, drastically oversimplifying matters. We don't even have to leave the concept of light! After all, currently "photons" are treated as essentially different entities depending upon whether one is referring to them in the context of QED or the standard model, referring to them as Einstein did in terms of first quantization and semiclassical approximations, referring to them in terms of cavity QED or quantum information processing, referring to them in terms of protocols for emission, detection, and measurement of single photons in cutting edge quantum mechanics tests of locality or no-go theorems and so forth, and many more. There have been conferences and volumes written over the past ~20 years of the 21st century in which it has been argued that the term "photon" means one thing or another, that it is a meaningless term, that it is meaningful the way mathematical symbols of Feynman diagrams are but not as a physical entity, that it is the key to unlock new arenas in relativistic quantum information or quantum communication or the quantum internet and so forth.
Or there is the idea that we can simply test predictions. Look up the history of the infamous claims Eddington made about general relativity based on his eclipse data. Or think about Quarks, which are now generally accepted. One often reads in popular science and some more serious sources that we have yet to "see" or detect "isolated quarks." What this means is that we have yet to actually detect quarks. This is (very, very simply put) because of the nature of the mediators of the strong force in QCD and asymptotic freedom experienced by the "free quarks" when this force is minimal, i.e., when the quarks are bound together. Confinement "predicts" that, as we apply force to try to separate partons or nucleons or whatever into their constituent quarks, the force holding them together will increase beyond that which we are applying.
The term "predicts" here, as is often the case, means that "we came up with this explanation after the fact." We couldn't and can't seperate quarks in order to detect them, but color confinement is provides an explanation why so we often just say that confinement "predicts" this behavior. Similarly, Dirac's infinite sea of holes was somehow a "prediction" of antimatter and the positron because we were able to successfully identify these holes and antimatter with certain elements of his theory when suitably modified. In other cases, we did the same thing, it didn't work, and we e.g., changed the names of discovered particles accordingly after they failed to be the predictions they were thought to be.
And so on.
Cosmic microwave background radiation is indirect evidence for the big bang, which was predicted before it was observed, and therefore supported the big bang model.
And Maupertuis's theological physics predicted that God would by his perfect nature create a universe with laws that obeyed the principle of least action. As this is a cornerstone of essentially all modern physics, by your logic his prediction is support for theism.

A Vestigial Mote

So, to paraphrase. When you say there is no evidence for God, what you mean is that there is no evidence which you are prepared to accept. I have all the evidence I need.
One of the points of the thread being, however, that even you should admit that your evidence is not substantial nor worthwhile if you cannot demonstrate its link to reality to other people. If all you have to convince others is poor evidence then you should at least admit that that is what you, yourself are willing to believe this thing on.

RestlessSoul

One of the points of the thread being, however, that even you should admit that your evidence is not substantial nor worthwhile if you cannot demonstrate its link to reality to other people. If all you have to convince others is poor evidence then you should at least admit that that is what you, yourself are willing to believe this thing on.

No, that’s a nonsense. The reasons for my belief are personal, and experiential. I have no interest in trying to impose them on you or anybody else. On this forum, at least, it seems that only a coterie of atheist fundamentalists are interested in doing that.