• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the big deal with God on Money?

Aqualung

Tasty
I seriously have no idea why people care so much. It's rather petty. They really seem to have nothing better to do than to pick fights with anybody they can.

Its a government recondition of a religion as being true, in other words its the government adopting an official religion which is a violation of the separation of church and state and it excludes people who are not of that religion.

Aqualung

Tasty
spacemonkey said:
How can someone who does not believe in God be included in the phrase "In God We Trust"?
Not being included is not the same as being excluded. I can trust in whoever I want (as can my money) without excluding you from anything. You don't have to trust in God. It's just written there.

Yerda

Veteran Member
SoyLeche said:
Aren't there 2 active threads on this topic already?
Yes but I'm finding it strange. It seems entirely without consequence. Not exactly the tyranny of the majority. Why bother?

Aqualung

Tasty
Aqualung said:
Not being included is not the same as being excluded. I can trust in whoever I want (as can my money) without excluding you from anything. You don't have to trust in God. It's just written there.
Me and my brother, we play basketball. Does my saying that mean that you can't play basketball? No. Does it mean that because we play basketball you have to play basketball? No. Does it mean that because we play basketball you can't play baseball? No. A simple statement of who they trust in does nothing for what you have to or do trust in.

Flappycat

If I had final say in it, it would say "we shoot Christians for fun."

In all seriousness, having "in God we trust" is going to be at least a bit of a slight to some people because the words on the cash seem to represent the beliefs and philosophies of all Americans. What, is the intention of putting it on there to say that atheists and Bhuddists can't be Americans? The reaction of some atheists to it is very similar to the reaction that racial minorities would have to a statement proclaiming our pride in our White heritage. Personally, I think that the only people who are being more ridiculous and stupid about this than the people who want it taken off of the currency are those who frantically insist that it should remain. They're all being ridiculous, though. If it were put on a ballot, of course, I'd vote to have the currency stripped of it, but what else do you expect?

The argument is ludicrous, but let us not ignore one group of fools in order to bash on another.

The words "in God we trust" is appropriate for US currency when a person considers it was Christian beliefs the Framers drew upon to frame the Constitution. It speaks toward the Framers values more than it represents the belief of the nation. It is more a historical element. One must consider too, the pyramid on many bills hearkens to pagan elements. Other nations have like historical elements on their currency. What should it matter really what is on a bill?

The early Christians used Roman currency which had the emperor and other "resentful" elements. Other religions and nonreligions throughout history have used currency with images that slighted them

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
spacemonkey said:
It exludes those who do not believe in god or are polytheistic.
Does it stop them spending it in some fashion? If not, then they're not excluded from doing anything with their currency that anyone else is.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Aqualung said:
In the motto "In God We Trust," the word "We" is taken to mean all Americans, so it is a false statement. All American do not trust in God. I know I don't. I resent the motto because it implies that a person who does not believe in God is not a good American. The same goes for the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Jaiket said:
Why do people care what's written on cash?

I don't know, I'm superstitious. I think we should put the name of every god we can think of on the dollar bill. Or, in place of "In God We Trust", how about "There is Nothing Without Work".

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Ardent Listener said:
How about if we change it to, "In God, some trust, some don't."?
Or how about... "In God we trust... all others pay cash!" That would give new meaning to the words as well! :D

Let me put this in a way Christens will understand, imagine if it said "In Satan we trust", now atheists and people of other religions don't think of the Judeo-Christian and Muslim god as a devil but I'm making a point.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Darkdale said:
I don't know, I'm superstitious. I think we should put the name of every god we can think of on the dollar bill. Or, in place of "In God We Trust", how about "There is Nothing Without Work".
Actually DD, since most people seem to worship money, it's like a redundant statement. :D It's only saying "Trust in me" to most Americans.

Matthew 6:19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 "The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness! 24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money. NIV

IOW, putting "In God we trust" on our money is quite possibly the most HYPOCRITICAL thing a Christian can do. It certainly confuses the issue at the very least. I vote to remove it!

SoyLeche

meh...
NetDoc said:
Actually DD, since most people seem to worship money, it's like a redundant statement. :D It's only saying "Trust in me" to most Americans.

Matthew 6:19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 "The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness! 24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money. NIV

IOW, putting "In God we trust" on our money is quite possibly the most HYPOCRITICAL thing a Christian can do. It certainly confuses the issue at the very least. I vote to remove it!
Actually, that's more of a reason to leave it on, for the Christians at least. As a reminder that we aren't supposed to be serving (or trusting in) Money.