• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Your Take On Salvation?

I guess we just have to disagree since, as you said, we interpret Scripture differently.

As far as my definition of God, it comes from interpreting Scripture.

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Hence our sin is contrary to God's character. In the Bible, the word translated as "sin" means "to fall short."

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I guess we just have to disagree since, as you said, we interpret Scripture differently.
Yes, I suppose so.

As far as my definition of God, it comes from interpreting Scripture.

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Hence our sin is contrary to God's character. In the Bible, the word translated as "sin" means "to fall short."
So does mine, DD. It's just that in some instances, you opt for a literal translation and in other instances I do. ;) In this case of Roman 3:23, you say that "for all have sinned" includes newborn babies. After all, the word "all" doesn't just mean "all who are capable of knowing right from wrong." On the other hand, when we're told that God created man "in His image," I'm the one who insists that the word "image" means what it all know it to mean and does not have a different meaning in that context. You disagree.

This seems to be a common problem. It's not just between you and me, but between all Christians. Which verses do we interpret in a word for word literal sense and which ones do we understand as having a figurative meaning? It's quite a dilemma. Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
Jesus lived a sinless life and died on the cross to pay for our sins. All you have to do is trust in Him. Trust in Him and you will be in Heaven after you die.

Did he really live a sinless life? There was thirty years of his life that we had no record of him. Also we have to count in the fact that Jesus was still part man so in fact he did sin because he was born if the "Original Sin" Theory is to be correct.

Also just trusting in him will not get you into to heaven.

Check out John 3:4 for an example.

Thesavorofpan

No one leads a sinless lifestyle. Why? Because it's impossible. We are not expected to live up to the impossible standard set by Jesus Christ. It's better to fall on your knees and admit you are a sinner. People who do not think they are sinners are really in trouble, IMO.

Yes lets all believe that were not sinners. Ignorance is bliss.

Muffled

Jesus in me
There are three types of salvation.

1. Salvation from the evil others commit

2. Salvation from god's judgement on our sin

3. Salvation from sin

The first shows up in the OT. God delivers Israel out of slavery.

The second occurs through sacrifice and finally the cross.

The third occurs when we ask Jesus to be Lord and Savior of our lives.

Muffled

Jesus in me
One must live a sinless lifestyle to hold onto their salvation, but our holy text have been translated so many times we no longer know what is sin and what is not sin. So no I don't believe there is salvation for anyone. There will be no one in Heaven.

I would agree this is necessary for salvation one and two but not three. Salvation from sin is by grace.

There is no confusion of the law in the multiplicity of translations. This is simply a rationalization by a sinner who wishes not to acknowledge his sin. Salvation three takes care of this because God does know what sin is.

I came into this life from Heaven so you are obviously in error.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Did he really live a sinless life? There was thirty years of his life that we had no record of him. Also we have to count in the fact that Jesus was still part man so in fact he did sin because he was born if the "Original Sin" Theory is to be correct.

Also just trusting in him will not get you into to heaven.

Check out John 3:4 for an example.

Your theology seems to have more holes than swiss cheese, lol.

Yes Jesus as God inthe flesh is without sin. If you are talking about a genetic inheritance, Jesus overcame the flesh (world). If you are talking about environment, (what the parents and society are like) Jesus is not influenced by it.

I would like toknow what your criteria for making this statement are.

I did. It does not mention Heaven.

Thesavorofpan

There is no confusion of the law in the multiplicity of translations. This is simply a rationalization by a sinner who wishes not to acknowledge his sin. Salvation three takes care of this because God does know what sin is.

I came into this life from Heaven so you are obviously in error.

Where's your proof that this is the actual word of God the bible has just accountabilty as if I was to write the gospel according Thesavorofpan
Oh I know I sin. **** <- look I just sin there.
Salvation is not pernament. IF you do achieve salvation you can easily fall from grace.

Thesavorofpan

Your theology seems to have more holes than swiss cheese, lol.

Yes Jesus as God inthe flesh is without sin. If you are talking about a genetic inheritance, Jesus overcame the flesh (world). If you are talking about environment, (what the parents and society are like) Jesus is not influenced by it.

I would like toknow what your criteria for making this statement are.

I did. It does not mention Heaven.

You can't overcome the "original sin" if your part man then you was born with the original sin like all of us.
My bad read down one verse John 3:5: 5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Ben Masada

Hey, I just wanted to discuss people's views on how one gets saved. Since I am asking this of others I will start it off.

I believe that everyone is born a sinner. Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." I believe that our sins have a cost, which is death - eternal separation from God. Romans 6:23a "For the wages of sin is death;" On our own, we are on our way to Hell, but the verse does not stop there: Romans 6:23 " For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." God loved us enough to send us a way out of death - Jesus Christ. He came down to earth, lived a sinless life, and died on the cross for our sins. Romans 5:8 "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." All we have to do to receive this gift is believe that Jesus died and rose again the third day. Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

That is how I believe one is saved. What is your opinion?

Here is my opinion on how one is saved. Soon after the Flood, God established a Covenant with Noah with the promise that He would never allow another catastrophe of the size of the Flood to destroy all Mankind, save a family. And God guaranteed His promise on the fact that the natural laws would function properly. That's in Genesis 8:21,22. Jeremiah read this text and was inspired to explain in a prophetic vision that as long as Israel remains as a people before the Lord forever, the natural laws would not fail to provide everyday a sun for light by day, and the moon and stars as light by night. Bottom light is that as long as Israel remains as a people before Him on earth, Mankind is saved from another universal catastrophe. (Jer. 31:35-37) That's my believe on how one is saved. Besides, Jesus himself said that salvation comes from the Jews. (John 4:22) He had the same mind of Jeremiah.
Ben

Ben Masada

I've outlined all the Scripture I could find and catagorized and analyzed it here. My conclusion is that we are saved by faith.

I have done exactly the same plus added Logic to my research. My conclusion is that we are saved by our loyalty to God's Law. Instead of being saved by their faith, almost a thousand of the faithful of Jim Jones were poisoned to death. If they had more knowledge of their crazy leader and less of faith in his words, their tragedy could have been avoided. No wonder Hosea declared that people perished for lack of knowledge.
Ben

Debunker

Hey, I just wanted to discuss people's views on how one gets saved. Since I am asking this of others I will start it off.

I believe that everyone is born a sinner. Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." I believe that our sins have a cost, which is death - eternal separation from God. Romans 6:23a "For the wages of sin is death;" On our own, we are on our way to Hell, but the verse does not stop there: Romans 6:23 " For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." God loved us enough to send us a way out of death - Jesus Christ. He came down to earth, lived a sinless life, and died on the cross for our sins. Romans 5:8 "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." All we have to do to receive this gift is believe that Jesus died and rose again the third day. Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

That is how I believe one is saved. What is your opinion?
The same as Paul's. Let every man work out his own salvation.Did you work your salvation or did you depend on another to teach you? You sound rather programmed to me. It is taught in the Bible that man is to arrive at his beliefs by use of the Spirit The value of the Scripture is that it verifies when we know the truth. Remember, the Scripture is first given by inspiration. To make sure you got it right, then read the Bible. If you have been born again, you probably did not know all that stuff you quoted at your birth. You learned it later, right?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Here is my opinion on how one is saved. Soon after the Flood, God established a Covenant with Noah with the promise that He would never allow another catastrophe of the size of the Flood to destroy all Mankind, save a family. And God guaranteed His promise on the fact that the natural laws would function properly. That's in Genesis 8:21,22. Jeremiah read this text and was inspired to explain in a prophetic vision that as long as Israel remains as a people before the Lord forever, the natural laws would not fail to provide everyday a sun for light by day, and the moon and stars as light by night. Bottom light is that as long as Israel remains as a people before Him on earth, Mankind is saved from another universal catastrophe. (Jer. 31:35-37) That's my believe on how one is saved. Besides, Jesus himself said that salvation comes from the Jews. (John 4:22) He had the same mind of Jeremiah.
Ben

LOL! If this isn't a self congratulating delusion, I don't know what is.

You have generalized from the particular. God will not flood the earth again, however he plans to destroy it with fire.

Isa 66:15 For, behold, Jehovah will come with fire, and his chariots shall be like the whirlwind; to render his anger with fierceness, and his rebuke with flames of fire. 16 For by fire will Jehovah execute judgment, and by his sword, upon all flesh; and the slain of Jehovah shall be many.

2Pe 3:7 but the heavens that now are, and the earth, by the same word have been stored up for fire, being reserved against the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

You forgot the next verse:

john 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth: for such doth the Father seek to be his worshippers.

This is hardly the case. And it doesn't even take into account that Jeremiah is prophesying a new covenant:
Jer 31:32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them, saith Jehovah.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The same as Paul's. Let every man work out his own salvation.Did you work your salvation or did you depend on another to teach you? You sound rather programmed to me. It is taught in the Bible that man is to arrive at his beliefs by use of the Spirit The value of the Scripture is that it verifies when we know the truth. Remember, the Scripture is first given by inspiration. To make sure you got it right, then read the Bible. If you have been born again, you probably did not know all that stuff you quoted at your birth. You learned it later, right?

You must be talking about salvation from sin which is a constant battle. The grace that Jesus provides is sufficient but it takes a while to learn how to receive it. strangely enough God tends to be very patient about some things and other things He will directly call for correction. Those things tend to be my attitudes. My actions He can control but my attitudes are mine to control.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Where's your proof that this is the actual word of God the bible has just accountabilty as if I was to write the gospel according Thesavorofpan
Oh I know I sin. **** <- look I just sin there.
Salvation is not pernament. IF you do achieve salvation you can easily fall from grace.

There is no proof for this. However the Paraclete accepts it as such.

The Bible offers this as a theoretical possibility but I could not imagine someone changing their mind. I am sure that sometimes a Christian will chase after sin for a season but it won't take long for the person to realize what a horrible mistake that is. More often the person who seems to have fallen from grace never wanted to be saved from sin but only the penalty that ensues.

Muffled

Jesus in me
You can't overcome the "original sin" if your part man then you was born with the original sin like all of us.
My bad read down one verse John 3:5: 5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

I have free will. I can do whatever I want.

Ben Masada

LOL! If this isn't a self congratulating delusion, I don't know what is.

It must be your anxiety to promote the Pauline policy of Replacement Theology.

You have generalized from the particular. God will not flood the earth again, however he plans to destroy it with fire.

No, He will not if we are to believe the prophets of the Lord. And if He does, it won't
be of all Mankind. That's what I meant by universal catastrophe.

Isa 66:15 For, behold, Jehovah will come with fire
, and his chariots shall be like the whirlwind; to render his anger with fierceness, and his rebuke with flames of fire. 16 For by fire will Jehovah execute judgment, and by his sword, upon all flesh; and the slain of Jehovah shall be many.

Jehovah will eventually make an end of all the nations indeed. But of Israel, He will only chastise us as we deserve. (Jer. 46:28)

2Pe 3:7 but the heavens that now are, and the earth, by the same word have been stored up for fire
, being reserved against the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

This is Hellenistic rhetoric.

You forgot the next verse:
john 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth: for such doth the Father seek to be his worshippers.

This has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

This is hardly the case. And it doesn't even take into account that Jeremiah is prophesying a new covenant:
Jer 31:32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them, saith Jehovah.

Commit to memory that the New Covenant, according to Jeremiah 31:31,32 was established with the House of Israel and the House of Judah. No Gentiles are mentioned.