• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Can Someone Change His or Her Consent to Sex?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Well, yes they can withdraw that consent anytime they want but as to whether or not it will be honoured is an entirely different story. Sexual intercourse isn't child's play where you say "you can get in now, nope get out, no, get in, no out"etc. That's just childish and immature and defeats the whole purpose of love-making.

I thought the purpose of "love-making" was to pleasure and (ideally in a relationship) show your deepest love for your partner in a deeply emotional and physical way. To not honor your partner's wish to stop having sex, no matter what their reason, would not be pleasuring them anymore, but be causing them grief. I would seriously have to wonder what you consider to be the purpose of "love-making" that would disregard the feelings and physical pain of one of the participants.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Does a person have a right to change his or her consent to sex after penetration, but before orgasm? That is, if a person gives his or her consent to sex, can he or she withdraw that consent after penetration, but before orgasm?
I suppose you could stop them before orgasm, but it wouldn't make you very popular. ;) Just kidding.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I thought the purpose of "love-making" was to pleasure and (ideally in a relationship) show your deepest love for your partner in a deeply emotional and physical way. To not honor your partner's wish to stop having sex, no matter what their reason, would not be pleasuring them anymore, but be causing them grief. I would seriously have to wonder what you consider to be the purpose of "love-making" that would disregard the feelings and physical pain of one of the participants.

I had to ask to stop the first time- it was incredibly painful. He stopped right away.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I thought the purpose of "love-making" was to pleasure and (ideally in a relationship) show your deepest love for your partner in a deeply emotional and physical way.
Errr. Sexual intercourse doesn't always occur under cupid's arch of love, which is why using "love making" and "making love" as euphemisms for it is rather silly. If using the word "sex" or the term "sexual intercourse" is too embarrassing, I suggest the word "coitus."
"Coitus
(kō'ĭ-təs, kō-ē'-)
n.
Sexual union between a male and a female involving insertion of the penis into the vagina."​

Me Myself

Back to my username
Errr. Sexual intercourse doesn't always occur under cupid's arch of love, which is why using "love making" and "making love" as euphemisms for it is rather silly. If using the word "sex" or the term "sexual intercourse" is too embarrassing, I suggest the word "coitus."
"Coitus
(kō'ĭ-təs, kō-ē'-)
n.
Sexual union between a male and a female involving insertion of the penis into the vagina."​

Another Sheldon fan? :D

I use sex, coitus or sexual relationships.

Wherenextcolumbus

I would second this. While ethically, a person may consider such rape (and I would agree), legally, it would be a hard sell. Even rape within a marriage often is not treated like rape in a legal matter.

thanks for reminding us that legally we are still chattel in marriage in many places. Don't you think that should change?

Kerr

Does a person have a right to change his or her consent to sex after penetration, but before orgasm? That is, if a person gives his or her consent to sex, can he or she withdraw that consent after penetration, but before orgasm?
Of course. The penetrator might be a bit disappointed, though :p.

Kerr

Well, yes they can withdraw that consent anytime they want but as to whether or not it will be honoured is an entirely different story. Sexual intercourse isn't child's play where you say "you can get in now, nope get out, no, get in, no out"etc. That's just childish and immature and defeats the whole purpose of love-making.
Any man who cant stop doesnt deserve sex.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
thanks for reminding us that legally we are still chattel in marriage in many places. Don't you think that should change?

I definitely think that it should change. However, to change the law public opinion also has to change. Which means that it has to be recognized that men also suffer from this ridiculous law.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Any man who cant stop doesnt deserve sex.
Interesting that you feel a male has to earn the privilege of having sex with a woman, i. e., be deserving of it. I know no male would look at a woman and say "Nope, she doesn't deserve to have sex with me. She hasn't earned the right." Personally, I think most women approach sexual intercourse as a mutually fulfilling interaction.

ron4711

Interesting that you feel a male has to earn the privilege of having sex with a woman, i. e., be deserving of it. I know no male would look at a woman and say "Nope, she doesn't deserve to have sex with me. She hasn't earned the right." Personally, I think most women approach sexual intercourse as a mutually fulfilling interaction.

This isn't about how you chose your partner and whether you got permission to begin. It is about asking the other person to stop once the act has begun. As a male, I have asked to stop when something got painful and she did. But there are many other reasons to stop. It has nothing to do with your partner not deserving to have sex with you. It means that for whatever reason they want to stop having sex with you. Whether it be for a minute or for ever, you need to honor that request.