• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Does God Start To Burn People In Hell

dave_

I don't think abrahamic god will send a newborn baby to hell that's born to an atheist family.Even though that baby will probably be atheist too.So at what age people are began to send to hell?This is extremely important you know.You have to know when you may get send to hell you will stay there for eternity after all.

Last edited:

2ndpillar

I don't think abrahamic god will send a newborn baby to hell that's born to an atheist family.Even though that baby will probably be atheist too.So at what age people are began to send to hell?This is extremely important you know.You have to know when you may get send to hell you will stay there for eternity after all.

Dear Dave,
You are mixing up the writing of Dante with the Sheol of the bible. Sheol was simply the pit, or gargage dump outside of Jerusalem where dead bodies were thrown and burnt. Anyone who is cremated is also burnt and disposed of also, whether elder or child. Burning of bodies is one type of public health policy. Burying them 6' under the ground is another.

As for the actual "lake of fire", that would be a future event at which time everyone is judged for their deeds, whether good or bad. Little babies have few deeds to their credit, and none of which would be held against them.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I hope he can get the fire going better than I can when lighting the coal fire. I invariably need fire lighters, lots of kindle and even then it goes out.
I suppose the fatty substances in the bodies should help ignition.
What does God do with bodies that have been cremated?

dave_

Dear Dave,
You are mixing up the writing of Dante with the Sheol of the bible. Sheol was simply the pit, or gargage dump outside of Jerusalem where dead bodies were thrown and burnt. Anyone who is cremated is also burnt and disposed of also, whether elder or child. Burning of bodies is one type of public health policy. Burying them 6' under the ground is another.

As for the actual "lake of fire", that would be a future event at which time everyone is judged for their deeds, whether good or bad. Little babies have few deeds to their credit, and none of which would be held against them.

Sorry my bad.God burns people in lake of fire not in hell.Yes, little babies are not burned but at what age people are began to burn?

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I don't think abrahamic god will send a newborn baby to hell that's born to an atheist family.Even though that baby will probably be atheist too
Although not a doctrine of the Church, popular belief is the notion of Limbo. A place of perfect natural happiness, but nonetheless not Heaven which requires baptism.

So at what age people are began to send to hell?
Traditionally you are considered to hold moral accountability for your sins at the age of reason (which is around seven). It's a question of being able to understand right from wrong, rather than reaching a definite 'point'.

cataway

you miss understand . there really is no such lake ,its figurative way of saying some one or something is destroyed gone forever .

dave_

Although not a doctrine of the Church, popular belief is the notion of Limbo. A place of perfect natural happiness, but nonetheless not Heaven which requires baptism.

Traditionally you are considered to hold moral accountability for your sins at the age of reason (which is around seven). It's a question of being able to understand right from wrong, rather than reaching a definite 'point'.

So god would burn a seven year old child for eternity just because he/she is an atheist wow!

dave_

you miss understand . there really is no such lake ,its figurative way of saying some one or something is destroyed gone forever .

But lots of abrahamic people believe in a literal suffering.In fact i recently learned that hell may mean being dead forever.If it is death i can live with it.It's not that scary compared to eternal suffering.

Is that not Gehenna? A separate word usually translated as Hell in English.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
So god would burn a seven year old child for eternity just because he/she is an atheist wow!
I think that's a rather unfair reading of what I said. I said that at the point someone is able to understand right from wrong, is the point in which said person is accountable for their wrongs. Obviously God will be aware of the contexts of our lives and our moral capacity thereof, and thus judge us appropriately. Should a seven year old warrant Hell, it will be as a result of their freely chosen choice, not because of any one thing they've done or believed.

Levite

Higher and Higher

Never, if you're Jewish. We don't believe in Hell. It's always seemed like terrible theology to me.

cataway

But lots of abrahamic people believe in a literal suffering.In fact i recently learned that hell may mean being dead forever.If it is death i can live with it.It's not that scary compared to eternal suffering.
the great fear that most have is not being dead ,but of dying . every one knows what dead is ,even the animals do not want to go through death

sincerly

Dave, All persons/living things die. At death, as has been stated, dead people are placed in the grave/pit/tomb/even the depths of the seas. That is the meaning of the Hebrew/ Greek words translated into the English word "hell". Age has nothing to do with it. Death is the factor determining when one is placed in "hell"/the grave.
As Eccl.9:2-6 explains, "All things come alike to all: there is one event to the righteous, and to the wicked; to the good and to the clean, and to the unclean; to him that sacrificeth, and to him that sacrificeth not: as is the good, so is the sinner; and he that sweareth, as he that feareth an oath.
This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead.
For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.
"

While one has life, one has to prepare for that "death event and where one will spend that "eternity"".

sincerly

cataway said:
but you do know what the grave is . same thing

No it's not. The grave is the grave. It's death, pure and simple. It is not eternal damnation to torture. That's very different.

Levite, you said Jews don't believe in hell; and sheol="hell"=same thing=grave(place of burial).

Agreed, it is not a place of "eternal damnation to torture". The righteous and the wicked both are placed in "sheol"/grave/pit=hell---at death.
There will come a Day of Atonement.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Levite, you said Jews don't believe in hell; and sheol="hell"=same thing=grave(place of burial).

Agreed, it is not a place of "eternal damnation to torture". The righteous and the wicked both are placed in "sheol"/grave/pit=hell---at death.
There will come a Day of Atonement.

She'ol does not equal hell. It is often translated as "the grave," but properly speaking, in ancient Israelite belief, it was the underworld. Everyone was thought to go there when they died-- good, bad, or mediocre. A little like the Greek Hades, it was just the underworld: it carried no attachments of either punishment or reward.

This is, however, a theology of ancient Israelite belief. Rabbinic Judaism has no underworld, and has always interpreted she'ol metaphorically. It is not even clear whether belief in a literal she'ol survived in the Second Temple era. But no Jew, to my knowledge, has believed in a literal she'ol for at least 2,000 years.

Also, the Day of Atonement comes every year on the tenth of the month of Tishrei. We call it Yom Kippur.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
How about "never"?