• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When I Die

Draka

Wonder Woman
What do you think will happen to me?

I'm a Pagan. I do not and will not follow nor worship the Abrahamic god. I believe there is a possibility that there is a god whom some have taken to be the Abrahamic god, but don't think that god is what it's believers think it to be. I doubt the existence of the man named Jesus Christ.

I use ritual and prayer combined (magic) in cast circles.

I'm a stay-at-home mom of two little children. I play with them, take care of them and tuck them in at night. I make dinners, pay our bills, and clean the house.

I served my country in the U.S. Navy and am proud of that fact.

I prevented my ex-brother-in-law from commiting suicide.

I live with the father of my children and am in a loving relationship with him, but we are not legally married.

I donate food, baby formula, clothes, coats and so on to the local women and children's shelter.

So, according to your ideas/faith/religion what will happen to me when I die?
(Atheists are excluded from this question as I believe we already know the clear cut answer ;) )

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Same thing that happens to everyone else. You'll go on to be reborn, until you "graduate."

Luminous

non-existential luminary
:D: When you die you shall be sent to a reconversion camp so God can make you confess that you and all theists are, in truth, Agnostic. don't wory reconversion camp is fun and they have delicious and healthy food for all "stubborns" to enjoy. Once you reconvert, you may enter into heaven.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
(Atheists are excluded from this question as I believe we already know the clear cut answer ;) )
It's not so clear cut in my case. I think you would live on in the legacy you leave behind.

I don't think you'll get to have Ambrosia with Zeus or strum a harp with Saint Peter, but I think you get an afterlife of sorts... as long as the people who you leave behind who care about you continue to keep your memory and legacy alive.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
You will cease to exist, just like everyone else.
Don't be so sure about that. 99.999999999% is not enough to talk with such certainty. but i'm 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure every theist and atheist will be sent to the reconversion camp.;)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
According to my faith, your spirit would leave your body at the moment of death and would be received into a state of being that has been described as "Paradise." Your joy at discovering that you were still "you," just without a physical body, will be tremendous. You'll soon recognize that you haven't really changed at all. You will continue to have the same personality and character traits (both good and bad) as you've always had. As a spirit, you'll be able to move freely and go wherever you wish. You will not be able to be seen, but occasionally your presence may be felt by some, expecially by your loved ones who remain behind.

You'll continue to learn and progress. You will still be allowed to make choices and decisions as to what concepts you will believe and what you will reject. The primary difference is that you'll not be encumbered by the "baggage" you hauled around with you during your mortality. You will see some things more clearly with the cultural, political and environmental restraints of this life removed. Sooner or later, someone will approach you and want to talk to you about the man, Jesus Christ. (This person won't have a little black and white nametag on, but judging from his message, you'll probably figure out that he was a Mormon during his mortal life. If it's me who comes up to you, I'll say, "Hi, Draka! It's me, Katzpur! Remember that thread on RF where you were asking about what will happen to you after you die? Remember what I told you would happen? Well, here we are!")

Anyway, whoever talks to you (and it may be many people over a period of many years) will suggest that you reconsider and recognize that Jesus Christ did live, that He did atone for your sins, and that He wants you to return home to your Father in Heaven. Ultimately, the choice will be yours. It's possible that you'll see things differently than you do now, and what didn't ring true to you while you were here on Earth will suddenly make a whole lot of sense. Again, it's possible that you won't, and that you'll continue to doubt His existance and your need for His gift of redemption. Your choice whether to believe in Him and to repent of your sins and accept His sacrifice on your behalf will ultimately determine where you spend eternity, but for the sake of argument, let's go for the worse case scenario.

For the purpose of this thread, let's assume that you weren't interested in changing your mind. The time would come when Jesus Christ will return to the Earth. When this happens, you will stand before God to account for the way you lived your life. Finally, you will realize that those crazy Mormons had it right all along. Since you lived a good life, though, and followed your heart, doing the best you could, your Heavenly Father will welcome you into Heaven and you would receive a degree of His eternal glory that would be like that of the moon. It would not be as great a glory as that of the sun, but would be greater than that of the stars. You will spend eternity in a place that exceeds your wildest expectations. I can't tell you a lot about it, because God hasn't given us all that many details, but you'll be happy. I can pretty much guarantee that.

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

I'm a Pagan. I do not and will not follow nor worship the Abrahamic god. I believe there is a possibility that there is a god whom some have taken to be the Abrahamic god, but don't think that god is what it's believers think it to be. I doubt the existence of the man named Jesus Christ.

I'm a stay-at-home mom of two little children. I play with them, take care of them and tuck them in at night. I make dinners, pay our bills, and clean the house.

I live with the father of my children and am in a loving relationship with him, but we are not legally married.

I donate food, baby formula, clothes, coats and so on to the local women and children's shelter.

My opinion of you is that you're a lovely person, inside and out, and genuinely care for the well being and happiness of others. These are beautiful qualities. And when we love and act in love, according to Christ Jesus, we fulfill His law to the fullest.

As a Christian, I do believe that that life is found in Jesus Christ and I often quote John 3:16 as the cornerstone of my faith.

The truth is...I'm not equipped to judge your heart and as such, I can't tell you what will happen to you, when you die. Your journey into the afterlife isn't mine to write and dictate.

Last edited:

cardero

Citizen Mod

I don't think you will be able to physically participate in some of things after you passed away but your consideration and thoughtfulness to help people is quite clear, I suspect you will (spiritually) carry on with those aspects.

Draka

Wonder Woman
According to my faith, your spirit would leave your body at the moment of death and would be received into a state of being that has been described as "Paradise." Your joy at discovering that you were still "you," just without a physical body, will be tremendous. You'll soon recognize that you haven't really changed at all. You will continue to have the same personality and character traits (both good and bad) as you've always had. As a spirit, you'll be able to move freely and go wherever you wish. You will not be able to be seen, but occasionally your presence may be felt by some, expecially by your loved ones who remain behind.

You'll continue to learn and progress. You will still be allowed to make choices and decisions as to what concepts you will believe and what you will reject. The primary difference is that you'll not be encumbered by the "baggage" you hauled around with you during your mortality. You will see some things more clearly with the cultural, political and environmental restraints of this life removed. Sooner or later, someone will approach you and want to talk to you about the man, Jesus Christ. (He won't have a little black and white nametag on, but judging from his message, you'll probably figure out that he was a Mormon during his mortal life. If it's me who comes up to you, I'll say, "Hi, Draka! It's me, Katzpur! Remember that thread on RF where you were asking about what will happen to you after you die? Remember what I told you would happen? Well, here we are!")

Anyway, whoever talks to you (and it may be many people over a period of many years) will suggest that you reconsider and recognize that Jesus Christ did live, that He did atone for your sins, and that He wants you to return home to your Father in Heaven. Ultimately, the choice will be yours. It's possible that you'll see things differently than you do now, and what didn't ring true to you while you were here on Earth will suddenly make a whole lot of sense. Again, it's possible that you won't, and that you'll continue to doubt His existance and your need for His gift of redemption. Your choice whether to believe in Him and to repent of your sins and accept His sacrifice on your behalf will ultimately determine where you spend eternity, but for the sake of argument, let's go for the worse case scenario.

For the purpose of this thread, let's assume that you weren't interested in changing your mind. The time would come, when Jesus Christ would return to the Earth. When this happened, you would stand before God to account for the way you lived your life. Finally, you would realize that those crazy Mormons had it right all along. Since you lived a good life, though, and followed your heart, doing the best you could, your Heavenly Father would welcome you into Heaven and you would receive a degree of His eternal glory that would be like that of the moon. It would not be as great a glory as that of the sun, but would be greater than that of the stars. You would spend eternity in a place that exceeds your wildest expectations. I can't tell you a lot about it, because God hasn't given us all that many details, but you'll be happy. I can pretty much guarantee that.

That's an interesting POV Katzpur. I like that even though you believe that you are right, your faith doesn't judge others as harsh as some others do. The idea of a "second chance" to "accept" is definitely interesting.

dawny said:
My opinion of you is that you're a lovely person, inside and out, and genuinely care for the well being and happiness of others. These are beautiful qualities. And when we love and act in love, according to Christ Jesus, we fulfill His law to the fullest.

As a Christian, I do believe that that life is found in Jesus Christ and I often quote John 3:16 as the cornerstone of my faith.

The truth is...I'm not equipped to judge your heart and as such, I can't tell you what will happen to you, when you die. Your journey into the afterlife isn't mine to write and dictate.

Thank you.

I know you can't tell me what will happen, but can you tell me what you believe happens to those like myself when we die? Do you believe in hell? Do you believe that how a life is lived is more or less important than what is believed in that life?

What do you personally believe?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

None of us are equipped to judge others' hearts, Dawny, and you know that I consider you to be one of the least judgmental people I have ever known. :hug: I wonder if you realize, though, that what it sounds like you're saying is, "My religion teaches that you will spend eternity in Hell because you were not a Christian. Somehow I can't believe that God would treat be that cruel, though, so I really don't know what to say."

Circle_One

You will find yourself in Duat (the Egyptian underworld), where you will face Mayet (Ma'at). She will place your heart (containing your soul) on her scales and weigh it against her feather. Should your heart (soul) prove to be unworthy, heavier than Mayet's feather, it will be eaten by Ahemait (Ammit), the second death, and you will remain in Duat forever.

Should your heart prove to be good and worthy (thus lighter than, or the same weight as her feather) you will be released to Osiris and you will dwell in Aaru (The field of reeds) for eternity. Though, don't get so excited, the journey from Duat to Aaru is a long and perilous one :D, though one that is worth it, in the end.

I believe, knowing you as I do, that your soul will pass Mayet's test.

Draka

Wonder Woman
You will find yourself in Duat (the Egyptian underworld), where you will face Mayet (Ma'at). She will place your heart (containing your soul) on her scales and weigh it against her feather. Should your heart (soul) prove to be unworthy, heavier than Mayet's feather, it will be eaten by Ahemait (Ammit), the second death, and you will remain in Duat forever.

Should your heart prove to be good and worthy (thus lighter than, or the same weight as her feather) you will be released to Osiris and you will dwell in Aaru (The field of reeds) for eternity. Though, don't get so excited, the journey from Duat to Aaru is a long and perilous one :D, though one that is worth it, in the end.

I believe, knowing you as I do, that your soul will pass Mayet's test.

I had no idea that is what ancient Egyptians believed happened in the afterlife. Very interesting. So it has nothing to do with a person's beliefs then? Just basically what kind of person they really and truly are?

Circle_One

I had no idea that is what ancient Egyptians believed happened in the afterlife. Very interesting. So it has nothing to do with a person's beliefs then? Just basically what kind of person they really and truly are?

Yep. If you're pure of heart/soul (basically free of sin), you will set out on your trek to Aaru and join the "eternally living" (they're called this because Aaru is described as being the eternal field of reeds, just like those of the Nile delta.) Though it's considered a "heavenly paradise", there's no fluffy clouds, or singing angels or harps, etc. It pretty much resembles the reed fields the Egyptians lived in, along the Nile. So when we die, we go there, and instead of resting in some "perfect paradise", our souls simply continue on in a paradise of the home... so to speak, only there's no evils to jeopradize our lives.

It is "sin" that makes our hearts/souls heavy, and this is what weighs down our hearts on Mayet's scales, thus eternally damning us to a second death, through Ahemait, and forcing us to wander eternally though Duat.

It's not our beliefs that condemn or absolve us. It's the purity of our hearts.

Kcnorwood

As a Pagan myself I believe that your soul will pass into Summerland & that you'll be with those you love who have passed before you. You'll be able to look down with love & see your childen grow up to be the adults you know they would always become.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
As a Pagan myself I believe that your soul will pass into Summerland & that you'll be with those you love who have passed before you. You'll be able to look down with love & see your childen grow up to be the adults you know they would always become.
That sounds pretty nice, Kcnorwood. Is Summerland common to all Pagans or just to Druids?