• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will we acknowledge sexism and violence against men is just as real?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I point you to this lovely gem of journalism where the author devotes the entire article to making fun of the male victim for having his scrotum ripped off.

Angry ex-girlfriend goes ballistic, rips off man

There was also a recent incident where the women on the View showed a callous disregard for a different man who had his penis cut off by an angry spouse.

We are not talking about comedy halls where anything goes. We are talking about mainstream media and television outlets making fun of men who are victimized by women.

Males are more likely to successfully commit suicide after a divorce; they have virtually no reproductive recourse, further stunted by family courts that consider a penis a disadvantage; they are far less likely to attain a high school diploma, bachelor's degree, and now attend non-STEM graduate programs; among 22-30 years men make 8% less than women; as boys they're far more likely to be disciplined and misdiagnosed; as men they serve longer sentences for the same crime, yet 40% of domestic violence victims are men where the perpetrator was a women. We laugh when a woman on television slaps a man, but if a woman is even portrayed in bad light, organizations like NOW yell until it's repealed. When will society wake up that systematic sexism is not limited to one side of the equation?

There's been a lot of questions raised about why men are dropping out of society and not committing to marriage. I think the answer is clear. There's really no place for the average man nowadays.

Last edited:

Yerda

Veteran Member
When will society wake up that systematic sexism is not limited to one side of the equation?
I think awareness is starting to spread.

Eugene said:
There's been a lot of questions raised about why men are dropping out of society and not committing to marriage. I think the answer is clear. There's really no place for the average man nowadays.
You been on the drama pills?

apophenia

You may or may not have noticed a thread "what do you think of this view on men ?" where I recounted a story of working in a sex shop which was set alight by feminists during a "Reclaim the Night" march in 1979. I mentioned that I was interviewed by a left-wing community radio station at the time, and the interview was terminated when they were told what had happened to me, because it didn't suit their agenda. The potential manslaughter was not the kind of news they were after.

I was curious to see the reaction to that story on these forums, to see if the situation was still the same. It is. I think only one person condemned what could have been the murder of an innocent man by feminists for symbolic purposes.

I remember watching a western movie where the bad guy got shot in the genitals with a shotgun, which was a moment of comedy. I was with a woman and her two daughters, and asked them to come up with any scenario in which a shotgun blast into a woman's vagina would be comedy relief. They stared at me blankly, like I was just mad.

Don't expect much in the way of understanding replies.

nnmartin

yes, it is really quite odd that stories of these kind are considered amusing.

Do you think if male prostitution (for women) were to be legalised there would be an outcry?

I think not - but the other way round would have half the Western world in a tizzy for sure!

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Lol, i actually agree with you on something, nnmartin. I wasn't sure i'd see the day.

To address the orignal thread, i've talked about this as well. The problem here is that while women are very active to get their own rights improved, they don't much care about men. And men can't say anything, or we will be considered weak by our peers.

rageoftyrael

Veritas
According to law? Wow, that's shortsighted. I assume it has something to do with the idea that if a man has an erection, then clearly he wanted it, which is ludicrous. Women have had orgasm while being raped, does that mean it was okay? No. Then why is it okay for a woman to rape a man? Now, let's be honest though, it isn't really that common an occurence, but nonetheless, to have no laws is kind of ridiculous.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Lol, i actually agree with you on something, nnmartin. I wasn't sure i'd see the day.

To address the orignal thread, i've talked about this as well. The problem here is that while women are very active to get their own rights improved, they don't much care about men. And men can't say anything, or we will be considered weak by our peers.

I disagree. I have three sons, and I care deeply about their futures, their opportunities, their safety, and their sense of well being. I will as their mother - even though they all tower over me and can pick me up with one arm - fight for them and defend them and love them.

I know I'm loud and passionately vocal for women's rights, but in no way does that translate to a dismissal of the rights and protections for men.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I remember watching a western movie where the bad guy got shot in the genitals with a shotgun, which was a moment of comedy. I was with a woman and her two daughters, and asked them to come up with any scenario in which a shotgun blast into a woman's vagina would be comedy relief. They stared at me blankly, like I was just mad.
So they'll never be comedy writers. Big deal. Women are crap at comedy.

dust1n

Zindīq
I disagree. I have three sons, and I care deeply about their futures, their opportunities, their safety, and their sense of well being. I will as their mother - even though they all tower over me and can pick me up with one arm - fight for them and defend them and love them.

I know I'm loud and passionately vocal for women's rights, but in no way does that translate to a dismissal of the rights and protections for men.

You know already, Mystic, that it is men's far-out fantasy that every louded-mouthed, arrogant 24-year-old girl was like you. :D

My roomate has a little handmade anarcho-feminist flag that sits in her room. On it, "Dead men don't rape."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My roomate has a little handmade anarcho-feminist flag that sits in her room. On it, "Dead men don't rape."
That ranks right up there with.....
"Women.....can't live without them, can't live with them chained in the basement."

That's for sure. I'm not aware of any gender role that is a good thing. That's just part of what a gender role is... it assumes something from both genders.
Gender roles are just fine, so long as their voluntary.

dust1n

Zindīq
That ranks right up there with.....
"Women.....can't live without them, can't live with them chained in the basement."

Gender roles are just fine, so long as their voluntary.

Each role seems to have a certain set of pros of cons. If you are doing something voluntary, than I wouldn't care much about the issue. But the fact that 'roles' are presumptionously perscribed to people based off very vague and indifferiating differences seems a bit off, and, of course, they only serve as a problem when such role is quite involuntary, due to circumstances.

Then again, how do you effectively critize 'society' and not specific people? That's why I find it difficult to engage in such discussions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Each role seems to have a certain set of pros of cons. If you are doing something voluntary, than I wouldn't care much about the issue. But the fact that 'roles' are presumptionously perscribed to people based off very vague and indifferiating differences seems a bit off, and, of course, they only serve as a problem when such role is quite involuntary, due to circumstances.
I believe this forum serves the goal of more choice in gender roles, particularly trans-gender.

Then again, how do you effectively critize 'society' and not specific people? That's why I find it difficult to engage in such discussions.
I'd say that you handle it just fine.

apophenia

The OP is in no way suggesting that all or most women are suspect. Your motherhood is not in question.

It would be a shame if this thread discussed the subject in absolutes. I know my remarks are certainly not a criticism of all women, or even most women. In fact the radio interviewers who were a main object of my criticism were men.

Personally, I think the thread is an opportunity to have a look at a sacred cow (no pun intended). It is true that criticising feminism was a guaranteed way to be socially ostracised in the 70s and 80s, even if like myself you fundamentally supported the general aims of the movement. I was raised by a single mother when that was very unusual, so I learned early about some very negative sexist attitudes.

Whenever a movement or ideology is treated as being beyond criticism, it will result in abuses of that ideology. Sometimes I have challenged feminists ( I mean supporters of feminism, both male and female) to critique the movement and nominate any faults or failings whether general or individual, and so far I have generally been met with silence, or vaguely concealed contempt.

Common sense surely indicates that this is unrealistic.

The thread topic is actually about whethet or not we can acknowledge that any sexism or violence against men is real.

I had a discussion about this with a female social worker involved with domestic violence. She admitted to me that a very large percentage of cases were in her opinion triggered by female behaviour toward their men, including consistent acts of violence. She also admitted to me that there was no way she could publically acknowledge that and maintain her position.

The political correctness around this issue is pretty much an impenetrable wall.

apophenia

So they'll never be comedy writers. Big deal. Women are crap at comedy.

You may be right...

So take up the challenge yourself - can you give us a scenario where a woman being shot in the vagina with a shotgun is funny ?

edit : just so there is no misunderstanding of my position here - male violence against women is a way more serious problem than female violence against men, both because it is more common and generally much more severe. Rape is almost exclusively an act carried out by men against women. It remains true that corporate power still remains largely in the hands of men. Sexism against women was a much greater problem in the west when I was young, and is still at intolerable (to me) levels in many countries. Those important points notwithstanding, there is now an established western cultural fact of treating feminism as a sacred cow, and the fact of female sexism and violence toward men, which most certainly does exist, is a subject that the politically correct simply don't want to touch. The fact that virtually no-one is posting acknowledgement of this, on a forum characterised by thoughtfulness in general, underscores this point. There is a fear of being tarred with the same brush as male chauvinists from the religious right-wing, or just low-intelligence and/or uncultured males (or maybe Charlie Sheen ! we thought he was joking at first ...), which totally stifles honest dialogue IMO.

Last edited: