• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are you?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I always hear people say things like "You are your body, nothing more", "You are your soul", "You are the mind", etc. It might just be semantics, but these statements seem misleading. If you make something possessive, such as "my hand" or "your chair", you're stating you are not the object. If you truly are "your mind", how is that any different than saying "the floor's floor" or "the dog's dog"?

So, where or what exactly is your self, if everything you say it is (in) is merely one of it's possessions?

Last edited:

rsd

ACBSP77
Right now I think I am trapped in a grand illusion. That's WHERE I think I am. But you also seem to be asking, what am I? Two different questions. As far as what I am, I am my blessings.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I always hear people say things like "You are your body, nothing more", "You are your soul", "You are the mind", etc. It might just be semantics, but these statements seem misleading. If you make something possessive, such as "my hand" or "your chair", you're stating you are not the object. If you truly are "your mind", how is that any different than saying "the floor's floor" or "the dog's dog"?

So, where or what exactly is your self, if everything you say it is (in) is merely one of it's possessions?

I am atoms basically, and my atoms fly off of me every now and then, switch atoms.

Basically, all of these atoms in the entire universe (that make up everything) were all in one...

So
Where are you?
I am everywhere.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I am atoms basically, and my atoms fly off of me every now and then, switch atoms.

Basically, all of these atoms in the entire universe (that make up everything) were all in one...

So I am everywhere.

This is the grandfather's axe scenario. Suppose every atom in your body eventually was lost and replaced in your lifetime. Are you still you?

If you truly believe that you are every atom, then isn't this just a form of solipsism? Are you any more real than any other formation?

Many Sages One Truth

I believe that we exist in a sense, but not in the same way the spirit exists. If you examine this system of existence, the physical, and really look closely at it, it is illusionary.

Like the fact that everything in this realm dependently arises. Nothing in this realm independently exists of itself, we only think it does. Like for example- can we say that a cup independently exists, even though we know that the cup relies on it's parts to exist? Can we say that we independently exist when we rely on the bodily members to exist?

We cannot even say that anything physical independently exists, much less demonstrate the realness of it. When you see how unreal it is the physical world seems empty and shallow.

Onkara

Everything is in the Self (singular divine Consciousness). This is why the seers speak of it as transitory or mayaic illusion. Because the real Self never changes as it is the foundation IN which all change occurs. Recognition of this Self is liberation from the transitory nature.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Right now I think I am trapped in a grand illusion. That's WHERE I think I am. But you also seem to be asking, what am I? Two different questions. As far as what I am, I am my blessings.

The word 'trapped' is spot on.

Regardless of faith or following....we are one with our bodies.
It doesn't matter which prophet you follow...or doctrine you say is true.

The relationship of you and your body is temporary.
If you fail to stand up after your last breath your will follow your death into the grave.
Eternal darkness is physically real.

So...when we die...there will be one desire waiting for us...only one.
We will desire to stand up. I suggest we go with it.
And be prepared for 'What' is waiting....to see what comes from the dust.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I disagree thief, self, or more accurately selves, are not one with the body. They, like mind, exist in social space.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
This is the grandfather's axe scenario. Suppose every atom in your body eventually was lost and replaced in your lifetime. Are you still you?

If you truly believe that you are every atom, then isn't this just a form of solipsism? Are you any more real than any other formation?

Basically it can be defined as solipsism.

All formations are of the same, just separated. It doesn't matter if our atoms replaced, you, me, everyone, everything, we are just one thing.

As for the consciousness, on the other hand, though it is made by something physical and requires atoms, it is the only thing that makes us separate, the mentality does. Except, physically I am everywhere, I am just a ball of playdough ripped into many pieces.

Even if atoms didn't separate, all would be all. But if atoms came from different sources and were replaced as you said (technically your right, they are replaced) then one would not exist, nothing but dust in the wind.

Last edited:

horizon_mj1

We are nothing more than we can be and nothing less than what is. No matter where humans are on the Evolutionary Chain, we as well as everything else belong to Existence and Creation (not Creation in general terms, IMO Evolution explains Creation). Even if you have a soul and although we all have both a mind (both conscious and subconscious) and a body, what gives us the right to believe it belongs to us when in fact in part it belongs to everything in which is impacted by it:rolleyes: This is not opinion this is Fact; when you interact with any other living being to the point that your Existence is "Known" by another, the experience and how the experience was perceived and conceived and felt by the observer; what is genuine to all "life" is new ways of observation (there is no identical "minds" as far as I know).

atanu

Premium Member

" The first stage of seeing through the game can be a shocking enlightenment that leads either to a weary cynicism or Buddhism. The second stage of actually applying the insight to oneself can destroy the illusion of the soul and create a magician."

One is not the mind, which itself is an object of awareness. As per Vedanta, nothing that one can experience is the Self. It is expressed as 'Neti-Neti'. Realisation of Neti-Neti will lead to destruction of ego-self (mind) and the soul, since the Self awareness is said to be without boundary and the Self is unborn-indestructible. The creation is magic (mAyA) and the Self is the magician (mAyin).

What the self is and where it is, depends on awareness itself -- it will depend on what object of magic it is attached to. What is true in consciousness is true, since consciousness is true.

horizon_mj1

Basically it can be defined as solipsism.

All formations are of the same, just separated. It doesn't matter if our atoms replaced, you, me, everyone, everything, we are just one thing.

As for the consciousness, on the other hand, though it is made by something physical and requires atoms, it is the only thing that makes us separate, the mentality does. Except, physically I am everywhere, I am just a ball of playdough ripped into many pieces.

Even if atoms didn't separate, all would be all. But if atoms came from different sources and were replaced as you said (technically your right, they are replaced) then one would not exist, nothing but dust in the wind.
When you are viewing the above scenario in complete form, you cannot negate Energy. Without Energy, Atoms could not hold form to create Matter;)

horizon_mj1

" The first stage of seeing through the game can be a shocking enlightenment that leads either to a weary cynicism or Buddhism. The second stage of actually applying the insight to oneself can destroy the illusion of the soul and create a magician."

One is not the mind, which itself is an object of awareness. As per Vedanta, nothing that one can experience is the Self. It is expressed as 'Neti-Neti'. Realisation of Neti-Neti will lead to destruction of ego-self (mind) and the soul, since the Self awareness is said to be without boundary and the Self is unborn-indestructible. The creation is magic (mAyA) and the Self is the magician (mAyin).

What the self is and where it is, depends on awareness itself -- it will depend on what object of magic it is attached to. What is true in consciousness is true, since consciousness is true.
This applies significantly if the ability to back this Scientifically Exists.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

On the other hand, if you actually possess "your hand," or "your mind," there is no distinction to be made between the possessee and the possessed. (Ye ole' spirit, you.)

The spirit you picture, though, can have no locality. It possesses locality.

Last edited: