• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are you?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I disagree thief, self, or more accurately selves, are not one with the body. They, like mind, exist in social space.

My linear existence is not the same as yours.

I see the design of the body as a device, to form individual souls.
That's why my thoughts are my own....until I write them down and you read them....
or
I speak them, and you might be close enough to hear them.

These basic means of communication fail when we die.

When we die, 'what' we really are, stands up from the dust we are held in.
'Whatever' is standing over you when you die will see you as you really are,
during that very moment.

Social?....only if They believe it.

MissAlice

So, where or what exactly is your self, if everything you say it is (in) is merely one of it's possessions?

Being the simpleton I am, I'm merely a mind trapped in the wrong form. My outer persona including my words do not do a good job expressing what I want to convey. In essence, I think I have to go with UltraViolet and say, I'm on the wrong planet which is ironic since I'm on a site called just that.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That also is a belief -- the thing called 'my'.

You left out the possibility of being alone.

So....
You lay down to surrender your last breath.
You have what it takes to stand up (in spirit)...so you do.

The angels come around to see what comes up from the dust.

But then, They turn about and leave you where you fell.

It's Their choice if you are allowed to follow or not.

Or do you assume...'all are welcome'...?

horizon_mj1

You left out the possibility of being alone.

So....
You lay down to surrender your last breath.
You have what it takes to stand up (in spirit)...so you do.

The angels come around to see what comes up from the dust.

But then, They turn about and leave you where you fell.

It's Their choice if you are allowed to follow or not.

Or do you assume...'all are welcome'...?
You are only as alone as you think you are alone; Angels do not come to see what is stirring in the dust, they are awaiting to see if you will become as one of them; You did not fall, but only stumbled into an opportunity to know what True Eternity "is"; All are not "welcome" for it is All in which makes the choice of your Existence as well as what you will Exist "as", you are only as "welcome" as you work to be "welcome":seesaw:

dust1n

Zindīq
I always hear people say things like "You are your body, nothing more", "You are your soul", "You are the mind", etc. It might just be semantics, but these statements seem misleading. If you make something possessive, such as "my hand" or "your chair", you're stating you are not the object. If you truly are "your mind", how is that any different than saying "the floor's floor" or "the dog's dog"?

So, where or what exactly is your self, if everything you say it is (in) is merely one of it's possessions?

You are just your body, which just so happens to have a qualitative experience.

dust1n

Zindīq
This is the grandfather's axe scenario. Suppose every atom in your body eventually was lost and replaced in your lifetime. Are you still you?

Yes. No one said 'you' can't change.

If you truly believe that you are every atom, then isn't this just a form of solipsism?
No.

Are you any more real than any other formation?
I don't think 'realness' is a qualitative value. Either it's real or it's not.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
Basically it can be defined as solipsism.

All formations are of the same, just separated. It doesn't matter if our atoms replaced, you, me, everyone, everything, we are just one thing.

As for the consciousness, on the other hand, though it is made by something physical and requires atoms, it is the only thing that makes us separate, the mentality does. Except, physically I am everywhere, I am just a ball of playdough ripped into many pieces.

Even if atoms didn't separate, all would be all. But if atoms came from different sources and were replaced as you said (technically your right, they are replaced) then one would not exist, nothing but dust in the wind.

What's any of this have to do with solipsism?

atanu

Premium Member
I am here in this mind-space "I am", which is the space within un-landing consciousness.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You are only as alone as you think you are alone; Angels do not come to see what is stirring in the dust, they are awaiting to see if you will become as one of them; You did not fall, but only stumbled into an opportunity to know what True Eternity "is"; All are not "welcome" for it is All in which makes the choice of your Existence as well as what you will Exist "as", you are only as "welcome" as you work to be "welcome":seesaw:

I BELIEVE......we agree.