• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Male Dominance come from?

Trey of Diamonds

Some questions:
  • Where does the concept of male dominance come from? Is it cultural? Religious? Built into the species?
  • Are the few examples of matriarchal societys one offs that mean nothing?
  • Is the modern concept of gender equality and partnership un-natural and doomed to failure or is it the natural evolution of human relationships and destined to spread across the globe?
  • How should societies that have moved towards partnership relationships interact with societys that are still patriarchal?
  • In what ways can patriarchal societies be encouraged to change?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't know. I watch animal shows and I see the males of certain creatures banging their heads together (Rams and such) or just plain fighting for dominance. I think females are just too smart to do that (haha, just kidding). ;)

outhouse

Atheistically
Simply put

Men in ancient barbaric times were the best warriors that kept a given culture alive.

Before that men were simply the best hunters.

Its called survival of the species and one sex has the primary role.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
accuatly many threads was open because of me :)
your question are very intersting ,
accuatly culture and religion had big role , but also the different between the male and woman in body and sentement ...etc
we called them womankind , they are realy .:)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
i think it is in the way that God created us

He created the man with the qualities needed to be leaders, to be protectors and guides...these are the masculine qualities of God that formed the bulk of Adams way of thinking. He also gave Adam feminine qualities too, but he gave these to a lesser degree. When he created the woman, he gave her his feminine qualities to a greater degree, and the masculine qualities he gave to the lesser degree.

So really, we are biologically different so that when a man and woman are joined together, they can become 'one' as the bible says. Together, they form the complete 'image' of God.

But a problem arose when Adam turned away from God...he could not express his dominant qualities in a perfect way anymore....he became unbalanced and those dominant qualities now became 'domineering' over the feminine qualities of the woman. So men need to learn to embrace the feminine qualities of God in order to become balanced again... unfortunately, some cultures have not come to appreciate the feminine qualities of God and for that reason they continue to try and 'stamp out' femininity....they do that by domineering over women who carry the feminine qualities of God.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Some questions:
  • Where does the concept of male dominance come from? Is it cultural? Religious? Built into the species?
  • Are the few examples of matriarchal societys one offs that mean nothing?
  • Is the modern concept of gender equality and partnership un-natural and doomed to failure or is it the natural evolution of human relationships and destined to spread across the globe?
  • How should societies that have moved towards partnership relationships interact with societys that are still patriarchal?
  • In what ways can patriarchal societies be encouraged to change?

The penis or testosterone I think. Your hormones pack a wallop on you guys. i actually feel sorry for you.

the main different between respectful questions and shameful/insult answser .:facepalm:

I am sorry for you Trey of Diamonds , that you recieve that answser .:)

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
i think it is in the way that God created us

He created the man with the qualities needed to be leaders, to be protectors and guides...these are the masculine qualities of God that formed the bulk of Adams way of thinking. He also gave Adam feminine qualities too, but he gave these to a lesser degree. When he created the woman, he gave her his feminine qualities to a greater degree, and the masculine qualities he gave to the lesser degree.

So really, we are biologically different so that when a man and woman are joined together, they can become 'one' as the bible says. Together, they form the complete 'image' of God.

But a problem arose when Adam turned away from God...he could not express his dominant qualities in a perfect way anymore....he became unbalanced and those dominant qualities now became 'domineering' over the feminine qualities of the woman. So men need to learn to embrace the feminine qualities of God in order to become balanced again... unfortunately, some cultures have not come to appreciate the feminine qualities of God and for that reason they continue to try and 'stamp out' femininity....they do that by domineering over women who carry the feminine qualities of God.
^This is why male dominance exists, because of the sayings of created deities and folk tales.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
^This is why male dominance exists, because of the sayings of created deities and folk tales.

well that really wouldnt make any sense because the same 'created dieties and folk tales' also tell men to be loving and gentle and kind and compassionate...if you really believe that men only act dominant because religion says they do, then why dont they also act loving and gentle and kind like religion says they should?

Really, religion only provides an answer as to why things are the way they are. The fact that it promotes the opposite qualities to what people display shows that it is not simply catering to mankinds imperfections....it is opposed to them.

If the bible is really a book created by man and made up by man, then it would promote greed and lust and the sorts of behaviors that we see in the world today, but it doesnt. It is a book which condemns the behaviors of mankind.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
well that really wouldnt make any sense because the same 'created dieties and folk tales' also tell men to be loving and gentle and kind and compassionate...if you really believe that men only act dominant because religion says they do, then why dont they also act loving and gentle and kind like religion says they should?

Really, religion only provides an answer as to why things are the way they are. The fact that it promotes the opposite qualities to what people display shows that it is not simply catering to mankinds imperfections....it is opposed to them.

If the bible is really a book created by man and made up by man, then it would promote greed and lust and the sorts of behaviors that we see in the world today, but it doesnt. It is a book which condemns the behaviors of mankind.
Government is basically a book created by man. Look into the Code of Hammurabi and tell me it's promoting greed and lust.

Trey of Diamonds

the main different between respectful questions and shameful/insult answser .:facepalm:

I am sorry for you Trey of Diamonds , that you recieve that answser .:)

Don't be, it was a good answer. Testosterone is a major factor in my opinion. Besides, we're all friends here.

Trey of Diamonds

accuatly culture and religion had big role , but also the different between the male and woman in body and sentement ...etc

Ok, I have a question for you Godobeyer, what do you think of cultures from history that are less patriarchal? Some Ancient Celt tribes shared much of the power with the women in their culture. Nomadic warriors of the Asian steppes rode into battle with their women right beside them, creating the myth of the Amazons when they met the Greeks in battle. Even Genghis Khan allowed women in his society to vote long before any other culture did. While none of these cultures were matriarchal, (accept a few rare Celtic tribes), the still shared power with their women. What are your thoughts on them?