• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Male Dominance come from?

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Some questions:
  • Where does the concept of male dominance come from? Is it cultural? Religious? Built into the species?

• I think biology, culture, religion (or again, culture), and other factors influence behavior in such an invisibly interwoven pattern, that trying to determine which factor is the root cause is like trying to separate casserole ingredients. Making these mysteriously invisible qualities visible is the goal of much of science, so we'll continue to learn more about our nature.

I do know that for those who are distinctly naturally different from the norm, and for most who don't exactly fit in a cookie cutter mold but who still blend in easily enough to survive socially, fighting ingrained concepts like male dominance is frustrating. Cookie-cutter expectations sell books, elect politicians, and make us nice little automatons, though.

Me Myself

Back to my username
The penis or testosterone I think. Your hormones pack a wallop on you guys. i actually feel sorry for you.

I just know I am happy to be crazy every day of the month instead of just one :p

there are always going to be exceptions to the rule and i accept that some women do develop great leadership skills just as some men can be very emotional.

These qualities can be developed through practice and training. Im pretty sure that any woman in a leadership role right now did not get there overnight.

But in this cases, it would still be natural for them to use their naturally given abilities to lead?

Many people (men and women) are naturally predisposed to lead. I know many women who have this predisposition, and while they have surely better it up as they grow up, it was something that got better because their natural inclinations to develop it.

What do you think about this?

Last edited:

Trey of Diamonds

Ok, here is a loaded question for you. Is the Abrahamic faith guilty of subjugating women? Our earliest religions placed women in positions of power, she is the creator of life after all. Most Pagan religions had women deities that held great power all they way upto the rise of Christianity. So was it the Abrahamic faiths that took all power from women and gave it to the men? Is the modern shift of power back into the hands of women actually a return to the original balance that our ancient ancestors achieved?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Today's societies are largely male dominated. But it is very risky to project that dominance into the deep past and therefore assert that human societies have always been largely male dominated.

In the first place, we simply don't know whether our societies have been largely male dominated for all of our 260,000 years on this planet. In the second place, we know of societies that are largely female dominated, and consequently, we cannot pretend that such is impossible or even that such is unnatural.

But beyond that, there is considerable evidence from such fields as "small group studies" that dominance in humans is a very complex subject. For instance: It appears that humans can be quite flexible in who leads them at any given moment. Consequently, Steve might be the leader of a group on certain matters, but Stephanie might be the leader of the group when it comes to other matters. Scientific studies have revealed that leadership in humans is often circumstantial and that the real decision makers can sometimes be unexpected or difficult to discern.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Ok, here is a loaded question for you. Is the Abrahamic faith guilty of subjugating women? Our earliest religions placed women in positions of power, she is the creator of life after all. Most Pagan religions had women deities that held great power all they way upto the rise of Christianity. So was it the Abrahamic faiths that took all power from women and gave it to the men? Is the modern shift of power back into the hands of women actually a return to the original balance that our ancient ancestors achieved?

Well, in our eyes, there is no higher human being (other then God) then a female: Our Holy Mother.......I'm not really sure how that plays out with the whole male dominance though.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
But in this cases, it would still be natural for them to use their naturally given abilities to lead?Many people (men and women) are naturally predisposed to lead. I know many women who have this predisposition, and while they have surely better it up as they grow up, it was something that got better because their natural inclinations to develop it.

What do you think about this?

it depends on the context really. In terms of everyday living, absolutely a woman can lead in certain areas of family & community life. The scriptures speak about a capable wife who buys realestate, sells property, teaches children, manages the household affairs and makes decisions for herself and her family....so the bible is not opposed to women leading in certain areas of life. She is expected to use her skills for the benefit of her community.

Proverbs 31:10 A capable wife who can find? Her value is far more than that of corals. 11 In her the heart of her owner has put trust, and there is no gain lacking.
12 She has rewarded him with good, and not bad, all the days of her life.
13 She has sought wool and linen, and she works at whatever is the delight of her hands 14 She has proved to be like the ships of a merchant. From far away she brings in her food.
15 She also gets up while it is still night, and gives food to her household and the prescribed portion to her young women.
16 She has considered a field and proceeded to obtain it; from the fruitage of her hands she has planted a vineyard.
20 Her palm she has stretched out to the afflicted one, and her hands she has thrust out to the poor on....

this passage goes on to show that she is not wholly dependent on her husband to get things done...she has autonomy and had independence to do the things that she wants to do. This is evidence that women can be industrious and use their God given talents and abilities in many various ways.

There is even an account in the scriptures about Abraham and Sarah and a dispute that they had. Sarah wanted Ishmael to be sent away, but Abraham did not want to send away his firstborn son because he was attached to him. Sarah was adamant that Ismeal and Hagar had to leave the family and God supported Sarah and told Abraham to 'Listen' to the voice of his wife and send the child away. This must have been difficult for Abraham to accept, but he had to accept that Sarah was right. Ishmael was not the child of promise and in the end Abraham sent the child away. The account can be found in the book of Genesis 21. It really shows us that God does not expect women to sit down and shut up...he does not always support a mans view over a womans view.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
I don't know. I watch animal shows and I see the males of certain creatures banging their heads together (Rams and such) or just plain fighting for dominance. I think females are just too smart to do that (haha, just kidding). ;)

no you're not :p

Me Myself

Back to my username
it depends on the context really. In terms of everyday living, absolutely a woman can lead in certain areas of family & community life. The scriptures speak about a capable wife who buys realestate, sells property, teaches children, manages the household affairs and makes decisions for herself and her family....so the bible is not opposed to women leading in certain areas of life. She is expected to use her skills for the benefit of her community.

Proverbs 31:10 A capable wife who can find? Her value is far more than that of corals. 11 In her the heart of her owner has put trust, and there is no gain lacking.
12 She has rewarded him with good, and not bad, all the days of her life.
13 She has sought wool and linen, and she works at whatever is the delight of her hands 14 She has proved to be like the ships of a merchant. From far away she brings in her food.
15 She also gets up while it is still night, and gives food to her household and the prescribed portion to her young women.
16 She has considered a field and proceeded to obtain it; from the fruitage of her hands she has planted a vineyard.
20 Her palm she has stretched out to the afflicted one, and her hands she has thrust out to the poor on....

this passage goes on to show that she is not wholly dependent on her husband to get things done...she has autonomy and had independence to do the things that she wants to do. This is evidence that women can be industrious and use their God given talents and abilities in many various ways.

There is even an account in the scriptures about Abraham and Sarah and a dispute that they had. Sarah wanted Ishmael to be sent away, but Abraham did not want to send away his firstborn son because he was attached to him. Sarah was adamant that Ismeal and Hagar had to leave the family and God supported Sarah and told Abraham to 'Listen' to the voice of his wife and send the child away. This must have been difficult for Abraham to accept, but he had to accept that Sarah was right. Ishmael was not the child of promise and in the end Abraham sent the child away. The account can be found in the book of Genesis 21. It really shows us that God does not expect women to sit down and shut up...he does not always support a mans view over a womans view.

Humm I see.

But for example if a woman has clear predisposition and talent for leadership in something like politics or business, is that okay from your perspective too?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Humm I see.

But for example if a woman has clear predisposition and talent for leadership in something like politics or business, is that okay from your perspective too?

woman running businesses is pretty normal and quite within a womans capability to do, so of course i think its proper for her to run a business

with regard to politics, i dont think anyone should be involved, but thats just because of our neutral stance... do i think its possible for a woman to work as a politician, sure, many already do.

Me Myself

Back to my username
woman running businesses is pretty normal and quite within a womans capability to do, so of course i think its proper for her to run a business

with regard to politics, i dont think anyone should be involved, but thats just because of our neutral stance... do i think its possible for a woman to work as a politician, sure, many already do.

So (and correct me if I am wrong) is it only in spiritual matters that you feel a woman shouldn´t lead or teach?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So (and correct me if I am wrong) is it only in spiritual matters that you feel a woman shouldn´t lead or teach?

In leadership over a church, yes. But as teachers of Gods word, no.

women can teach the gospel, they can teach their children, they can teach people about God...but the role of leading a congregation in worship is a position assigned to men. It always has been and always will be, so women should not attempt to take that role away from men. Men are great leaders too and they are specially assigned that particular role.

Me Myself

Back to my username
In leadership over a church, yes. But as teachers of Gods word, no.

women can teach the gospel, they can teach their children, they can teach people about God...but the role of leading a congregation in worship is a position assigned to men. It always has been and always will be, so women should not attempt to take that role away from men. Men are great leaders too and they are specially assigned that particular role.

So besides that, is any other place where you thik women shouldn´t lead because they are women?

I think it's a question with no easy answers. One of my textbooks for a Near Eastern Studies class speculated that childbirth contributed to women's inequality (as she would be less active in producing food for the community) and it grew from there.

Now that I think about it, it's interesting to note that among bonobos, males are (generally) bigger and stronger, but the females basically run their society because they've learned to work together. I think women were often encouraged throughout history to compete with each other for male attention (they still do) as in a polygamous relationship, but if the women work together, oftentimes they ended up calling the shots from behind the scenes.

I come from a tradition where there are no barriers to women when it comes to leadership or really anything (and I think modern Pagan traditions are generally okay with that). We have goddesses who are mothers, warriors, and queens (and all of those combined). Some like to sleep around, others are comfortable with one spouse. Some are loud and boisterous, others are quiet. Actually, when you're talking about the Norse gods, even the quiet deities are handy with a hammer!