• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does your faith leave you?

mingmty

Scientist
sandy whitelinger said:
I won't deny that. Now for the prediction. There will be wars and rumors of wars. Or, better yet, Jesus will return.
Your predictions, well... how to put it?... Don't predict a thing, are faith driven. You completely missed my point.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
mingmty said:
Your predictions, well... how to put it?... Don't predict a thing, are faith driven. You completely missed my point.
Gee, saying Jesus will return isn't a prediction? What is it? A fact?

Ok here's another prediction. Pick out a marriage partner according to Biblical formats, behave according to Biblical formats and your marriage will succede.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
sandy whitelinger said:
Ok here's another prediction. Pick out a marriage partner according to Biblical formats, behave according to Biblical formats and your marriage will succede.
My mom and dad met while serving on the church choir. They dated under the supervision of their church family, and married with the pastor's approval. They behaved solely according to Biblical formats. Even after my dad's severe mental and emotional abuse of myself and my sister was revealed while we attended another church, my mom was encouraged to stay with him for the sake of the family. It was only after moving to another, more practical church that she was encouraged to divorce him, and I still bear the mental scars. How is that successful?

Also, now is a good time for us all to consider these and how they should affect our posting.

mingmty

Scientist
sandy whitelinger said:
Gee, saying Jesus will return isn't a prediction? What is it? A fact?

This is ridiculous, there's not point arguing with you anymore if you can't tell what is the difference between a scientific prediction (like how electric current will flow from your computer to religousforums server) and mythology (like the old myth of the return of a savior like Jesus in you case).

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
mingmty said:
This is ridiculous, there's not point arguing with you anymore if you can't tell what is the difference between a scientific prediction (like how electric current will flow from your computer to religousforums server) and mythology (like the old myth of the return of a savior like Jesus in you case).
Good golly I didn't fall for your trap. Ooops! Of couse you can't relate imperical data in science with steps of faith in the Bible. Unless of course Jesus returns. then where are you. Mythed, of course.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
Even after my dad's severe mental and emotional abuse of myself and my sister was revealed ......
Not to demean your circumstances as a child, no one should be put through that but how is his behavior seen as following Biblical principles?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
sandy whitelinger said:
Not to demean your circumstances as a child, no one should be put through that but how is his behavior seen as following Biblical principles?
His behavior wasn't. The commitment to marriage and trying to make it work at all costs was. Leaving out the variable of other people's behavior, plus many other variables, was something I was trying to clarify about how a marriage can go horribly wrong, even when it's being lived according to "Biblical principles".

Unfortunately, I neglected to come right out and state what the real issue is, which I will clarify by PM.

pleasantseeker

faith, science, hell, heaven, electron microscopes, lost in space, and marriage counseling....if there is a god he must be laughing right now. if there are multiple gods...they all must be laughing.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
pleasantseeker said:
faith, science, hell, heaven, electron microscopes, lost in space, and marriage counseling....if there is a god he must be laughing right now. if there are multiple gods...they all must be laughing.
Someone is catching on.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
sandy whitelinger said:
I won't deny that. Now for the prediction. There will be wars and rumors of wars. Or, better yet, Jesus will return.
Your predictions need to be a little more specific.

Sandy,

Do you not believe in scientific method or scientific principles? Are they flawed? Are they works of the devil? What is your fundamental disagreement? The aim of science is to explain how the universe happens. That aim is not inherently in conflict with God's plan. It is only in conflict with human interpretation of the Bible. Are the Newtonian Laws wrong? How does the Earth remain in orbit around the sun? Because it's God's will? Perhaps. But God's will is manifest through a mathematical relationship between mass and velocity.

Science explains how, but not why. The "how" is the science and the "why" is the faith, ranging from no faith, through voodoo, to the Abrahamic faiths.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Ibrahim Al-Amin said:
Sandy,

Do you not believe in scientific method or scientific principles? Are they flawed? Are they works of the devil? What is your fundamental disagreement? The aim of science is to explain how the universe happens. That aim is not inherently in conflict with God's plan. It is only in conflict with human interpretation of the Bible. Are the Newtonian Laws wrong? How does the Earth remain in orbit around the sun? Because it's God's will? Perhaps. But God's will is manifest through a mathematical relationship between mass and velocity.

Science explains how, but not why. The "how" is the science and the "why" is the faith, ranging from no faith, through voodoo, to the Abrahamic faiths.
There are two issues. One is that parts of science rely on faith as a basis for fact. The second is that many put faith in science in order to deny belief in God.

Those who do not believe that there is any faith involved in science are sadly mistaken. Those who use science to deny God are just sad.

Smoke

Done here.
sandy whitelinger said:
Those who do not believe that there is any faith involved in science are sadly mistaken.
Science has nothing to do with faith. Science is about inquiry, not faith. So are the better religions.

Bangbang

The fear of death is an irrational fear and suffering that drives people to blind faith in a god or gods. I do fear suffering....we experience that during our lives. So dead is just fine with me.

A

angellous_evangellous

Bangbang said:
The fear of death is an irrational fear and suffering that drives people to blind faith in a god or gods. I do fear suffering....we experience that during our lives. So dead is just fine with me.
So is this a rational thought? (You fear suffering so death is just fine?)