• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

which denominations are the most 'New Testament'?

I'm trying to figure, which ones place the most emphasis on the New Testament, and the least emphasis on the Old...
I figure the way that usually would happen would be by Covenant, so which people/denominations/theologians believe that the old covenant was the 'most cancelled' by the New, by Jesus? I could be wrong and there could be other ways of deriving a cancellation of Old Testament rules but this is the one suggested by scripture.

my reason is only that I am trying to locate a church that believes in the New Testament as authoritative/ infallible (not like some mainline protestants who would say, a document written by fallible humans, or metaphorically true but not literally)
and that uses very little out of the Old Testament - and my reasoning there is only that I have a hard time being enthusiastic about the 613 rules listed in the pentateuch, like stoning for adultery, cities of refuge etc.,

Smoke

Done here.
my reason is only that I am trying to locate a church that believes in the New Testament as authoritative/ infallible (not like some mainline protestants who would say, a document written by fallible humans, or metaphorically true but not literally) and that uses very little out of the Old Testament - and my reasoning there is only that I have a hard time being enthusiastic about the 613 rules listed in the pentateuch, like stoning for adultery, cities of refuge etc.,

I'd like to argue with your criteria, but I won't. Try the Primitive Baptists if you're of a Calvinist bent, and the Churches of Christ if you're not.

Watchmen

Premium Member
It's easy to reconcile the Old Testament if you place the New and Old in the context of Law of Justice vs. Law of Mercy.

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
I'm trying to figure, which ones place the most emphasis on the New Testament, and the least emphasis on the Old...
I figure the way that usually would happen would be by Covenant, so which people/denominations/theologians believe that the old covenant was the 'most cancelled' by the New, by Jesus? I could be wrong and there could be other ways of deriving a cancellation of Old Testament rules but this is the one suggested by scripture.

my reason is only that I am trying to locate a church that believes in the New Testament as authoritative/ infallible (not like some mainline protestants who would say, a document written by fallible humans, or metaphorically true but not literally)
and that uses very little out of the Old Testament - and my reasoning there is only that I have a hard time being enthusiastic about the 613 rules listed in the pentateuch, like stoning for adultery, cities of refuge etc.,

You can't have a new testament without a Old testament they complete each other.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Jehovahs witnesses are very new testament. We do not follow the mosaic law code because the new covenant replaced it which means that there is no need for a christian to follow the mosaic laws.

Paul described the mosaic law as a “tutor leading to Christ.” at Galatians 3:24 so basically the Mosaic Law was designed to lead God-fearing Jews to Christ. Once Christ established his church, the 'law of the Christ' (the new covenant) came into effect...that is the law of Love.

However, the OT is still very relevant for establishing Christ as the Messiah, so we still use its prophecies to prove that he really was the messiah. There are also many unfulfilled prophecies are still revlevant for christians today....so we use the OT but we are not bound to follow the mosaic laws or 10 commandments as a means of being reconciled to God...rather we are reconciled by becoming diciples of Christ.

A

angellous_evangellous

None of them.

While many Christians have made it a priority to "live according to Scripture" as literally as possible, the early church is dead and gone, never to be re-created.

We cannot pretend that our philosophical and cultural mileu is something that it's not, and succeed in secluding ourselves in a theological quarantine that we create for ourselves "based" on Scripture. The best that some have done is champion 1950s American style living, which was plauged by child abuse and self-destructive patriotism (among other things).

ZooGirl02

None of them.

While many Christians have made it a priority to "live according to Scripture" as literally as possible, the early church is dead and gone, never to be re-created.

We cannot pretend that our philosophical and cultural mileu is something that it's not, and succeed in secluding ourselves in a theological quarantine that we create for ourselves "based" on Scripture. The best that some have done is champion 1950s American style living, which was plauged by child abuse and self-destructive patriotism (among other things).

Catholics and Episcopalians would disagree with you. ;) We believe that the early Church is alive and well. :)

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
None of them.

Thalidamide...
Elvis...
Nuclear threat...
Bouffants...

jonman122

Jehovah's witnesses are very old testament. what do you do to an apostate? what do you believe about them?
and when did christ create his own church? what?

Last edited:

jonman122

why dont you tell me?

christ never created his own church, when a Jehovahs Witness leaves the religion he/she is considered an apostate, and apostates are considered to be agents of the devil, sent to twist and corrupt your views.

I hope that sums up what you "claim" to believe, even though you constantly ask me to clarify your own religion for you when i ask you simple questions..

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
christ never created his own church, when a Jehovahs Witness leaves the religion he/she is considered an apostate, and apostates are considered to be agents of the devil, sent to twist and corrupt your views.

I hope that sums up what you "claim" to believe, even though you constantly ask me to clarify your own religion for you when i ask you simple questions..

well i can tell you that people who leave the religion are considered 'apostates'

Apostates are those who actually work against the religion and who go out of their way to disrupt the activity of the religion. Not all people who leave actually attempt to do any of that so why would we consider them apostate?

A

angellous_evangellous

Catholics and Episcopalians would disagree with you. ;) We believe that the early Church is alive and well. :)

I know that Catholic and Episcopalian scholars don't believe that - in fact, anyone who has a cursory knowledge of the early church and the church fathers can trace significant developments in church organization and theology.

The theologies of the Church have changed significantly over the years, typically about 20 years [and sometimes a lot longer] behind popular philosophy.

The early church is not something to try and immulate.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
well i can tell you that people who leave the religion are NOT ALL* considered 'apostates'

Apostates are those who actually work against the religion and who go out of their way to disrupt the activity of the religion. Not all people who leave actually attempt to do any of that so why would we consider them apostate?
I need to edit that*

IKNOWNUFFINK

The local rationalist Atheist club would be a good place too. I accept they don't believe in the validity of the old or the new but at least you have got half of it right which is kind of what your after... The Richard Dawkins Athiest type reject the NT based on the evil wicked God Yahweh in the old, so may be if you hook up with them they will help you throw out the baby and not just the bath water.

Half measures availeth us nothing.

I know I'm being cheeky, sorry.

You need to find someone (not neccessarily a denomination) who can help you understand what's actually going down in the OT in order to deal with what is concerning you. David slaugtering 20,000 Philistines before lunch is kind of difficult to equate with "turn the other cheek" but the Christian faith is based on all 66 books of the bible.

The Christian is commanded in all his getting to get understanding - of the whole word of God. By all means go and have a hunt around for a sect that have exluded the OT, but it's not Christianty bruv. Finding a church like that would be like finding a brand new V8 Chev - awesome, until you open the bonnet and find the engine is gone.

Good luck, I feel your pain and I've been there done that, but dont give up. Luckily enough God gives us at least 70 years to figure it out, but we will need eternity to get a complete handle on it.

God bless You.

Last edited:
I think that pentecostal is very new testament based. They seem to follow the new testament more than anything. I think they do more than other churches too.