• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which evolved first, consciousness or senses

The evolution of consciousness and senses

• Total voters

idav

Being
Premium Member
I had asked a few questions and one was "How do you know that a living plant has no consciousness? "
Well I didn't actually make he claim it was in a form of a question. I could go either way with it. I don't know, I asked what you think and described functionality of long term memory in mimosa plants. I tend to think based on how plants eat and protect themselves that they are not conscious but can sense. Plants sensing functionality is similar to that of a computer sensing and reacting based on preprogrammed functionality.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Why some people are bad enough to kill? how you relate it to their memories.
If you didn't remember someone killed your loved one then the killer would not see your justice. It would be like there was nothing ever to revenge.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You remind me that no one should refute an Islamic scholar, if he says disbelievers should die then we should believe that he's right,
Why, because he's a scholar.:rolleyes:, Ah yes yes yes, science is different than religion.

Of course it is. Science deals mainly with facts of nature. Religion is busy rationalizing figments of people's imagination.

What scientists say about the relation between senses and our consciousness in the evolution process?

A good entry point is here
http://niasconsciousnesscentre.com/...The Origin and Evolution of Consciousness.pdf

In this article you can also see studies of blind people apparently able to have consciousness of the form and shape of objects without having the sense (sight) to see them.

But you still owe me an answer. What is the latest book or course you followed about biology and which parts of it you find not supported by evidence? Just normal biology/evolution, not difficult subjects like conssiousness.

Ciao

- viole

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
If you didn't remember someone killed your loved one then the killer would not see your justice. It would be like there was nothing ever to revenge.

Not all people behave the same regardless of memory, some will revenge others won't, what about bad people
killing for money, for rape ...etc, how that is related to memory.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Of course it is. Science deals mainly with facts of nature. Religion is busy rationalizing figments of people's imagination.

Yes, i said so, but still some morons will believe everything that a religious scholar says just because he's a scholar.

A good entry point is here
http://niasconsciousnesscentre.com/Courses/2015-Readings/AS/Sinha 1999 - Putting the Mind Back Into Nature - The Origin and Evolution of Consciousness.pdf

In this article you can also see studies of blind people apparently able to have consciousness of the form and shape of objects without having the sense (sight) to see them.

Actually if you did understand what you had read then you should understand that the blind can realize objects without the need of senses(sight) and hence no need for a memory, or experience which some think consciousness has developed by learning and memorizing, sorry that some people just read without trying to analyze what they read.

But you still owe me an answer. What is the latest book or course you followed about biology and which parts of it you find not supported by evidence? Just normal biology/evolution, not difficult subjects like conssiousness.

And you said that I'm arrogant.:facepalm:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Not all people behave the same regardless of memory, some will revenge others won't, what about bad people
killing for money, for rape ...etc, how that is related to memory.
I really don't know what your trying to get at. I didn't say everyone would act the same. Memory has little to do with good or bad, knowledge doesn't take sides.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I really don't know what your trying to get at. I didn't say everyone would act the same. Memory has little to do with good or bad, knowledge doesn't take sides.

That's what you had said
What is fascinating is all the various issues people can have with there memories which show us how fragile our realities really are and prove the types of memory we have. Various types of amnesia will most certainly change your personality. Our self image is dependent on what we remember.

Did you mean other than saying that we're what we memorized(personality and behavior)?

idav

Being
Premium Member
That's what you had said

Did you mean other than saying that we're what we memorized(personality and behavior)?
I think I realized something in this exchange. The nature of knowledge and how it effects is and the difference between us and a rock is data/knowledge/memory. Knowledge is what allows you to make a decision one way or another towards good or evil.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I think I realized something in this exchange. The nature of knowledge and how it effects is and the difference between us and a rock is data/knowledge/memory. Knowledge is what allows you to make a decision one way or another towards good or evil.

Exactly and that's what religion is about, knowledge

idav

Being
Premium Member
Exactly and that's what religion is about, knowledge
Just like I've been saying, memories being the retaining of sensed things, this is knowledge which does not choose sides but at the same time what we retain makes us who we are. Did I miss something?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Just like I've been saying, memories being the retaining of sensed things, this is knowledge which does not choose sides but at the same time what we retain makes us who we are. Did I miss something?

Memory has nothing to do with consciousness, can a computer be conscious due to the data input and memory.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Memory has nothing to do with consciousness, can a computer be conscious due to the data input and memory.
Sure that is certainly possible. Memory has everything to do with consciousness, or there would be now way to tell that reality is streaming through the senses.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The brain is much more powerful than a computer, it would take too much to make a computer retain years of experience and have it keeping that years of data as RAM.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Sure that is certainly possible. Memory has everything to do with consciousness, or there would be now way to tell that reality is streaming through the senses.

consciousness uses memory as it uses the senses.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Memory stores data and the senses input data, so where's the consciousness?
Where it's located?
The brain, and it has something to do with simultaneous processing. We would need a trillion core computer, Intel just came out with a ten core.

Once I figure out how it works I probably am not going to broadcast it but get rich by creating the first AI, I work a lot with that stuff.;)

Matter is no cause for conciousness, Conciousness is cause for matter. Matter is like plastic and is moulded into shape by Mind or mind. There is no particle of matter in the universe that has the ability to think so it matters not how many particles of matter are grouped or in what configuration they cannot produce what they do not hold within themselves. Matter has no power to move itself, yet all matter moves and is moved into complex dances with other disparate particles in perfect number and measure. Decisions need be made to determine the number and measure. Since matter has no ability to think or even knows other particles exist it "cannot be" that matter randomly creates bodies with mind. Mind is other than matter, matter is a vehicle formed into shape by Mind such that thinking intelligence can experience existence in matter. The physical presence of matter is an illusion born out by frequencies of light and sound such that the pattern of the thing must exist before the quantum level of existence for it to be determined over and over again as the same thing when it passes through the quantum realm into physical illusion. Only Mind making a decision, setting a pattern in energy, can over rule the infinite potential of the quantum realm of particles. Senses are simply the realm of matter reacting, touching the mind in body that is experiencing this physical sensation.