• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which evolved first, consciousness or senses

The evolution of consciousness and senses

• Total voters

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
What is the basis of your claim? That is, what about interaction and evolutionary change makes it so that consciousness is a necessary emergent property?

Everything is interactive via the Fundamental Forces of nature, even a rock or a plant. Through the process of change, various simple forms may over time become more complex and interactive and different mechanisms for interaction may develop...eyes, ears, noses, etc... Eventually primitive brains developed allowing animals to also have a primitive form of awareness thereby increasing their ability to interact with the environment. Later on human brains evolved which allowed for an even more complex from of interaction...awareness of self, a self-interactive state. Consciousness is not a necessary emergent property, but given enough time and the right conditions there is always potential for it to arise because it is really just a more complex form of the same interactive forces found everywhere. The conditions on Earth are just so as to allow for those complex interactions to grow and flourish. Everything in the universe seems to want to interact in some way...we just evolved to interact a little better than other things. Quite literally...interaction is everything.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Can we have an "other" option in the poll please, I'd like to vote but none of the options is correct.

My concern is how do you think of it, just a product of nature and happened to be so
or a creator did it, if you don't know then it'll be fair enough i think.

Altfish

Veteran Member
My concern is how do you think of it, just a product of nature and happened to be so
or a creator did it, if you don't know then it'll be fair enough i think.
But it wasn't
a) Planned and designed
nor was it
b) Just kind of coincidence
and
c) Don't know
is not a satisfactory answer in this case

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
But it wasn't
a) Planned and designed
nor was it
b) Just kind of coincidence
and
c) Don't know
is not a satisfactory answer in this case

And what is your own option then, if not the product of nature(natural selection and evolution),
not by a creator, then how you explain it?

Pudding

Senses without consciousness has no value, similarly consciousness without senses has no value.
Senses - a faculty by which the body perceives an external stimulus; one of the faculties of sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch.
Consciousness - the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings.

Is that the definition you use for your thread?

Can you give example for "senses without consciousnes" and "consciousness without senses" to explain what you refer to?

It's no value in what sense?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Senses - a faculty by which the body perceives an external stimulus; one of the faculties of sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch.
Consciousness - the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings.

Is that the definition you use for your thread?

Can you give example for "senses without consciousnes" and "consciousness without senses" to explain what you refer to?

It's no value in what sense?

The baby, has all the senses but not conscious.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I do not agree. In sleep soul exists. It is not useless.

How you explain that some may die while sleeping due to a gas leakage? if the soul is present then the person
should wake up before being suffocated, what do you think?

atanu

Premium Member
How you explain that some may die while sleeping due to a gas leakage? if the soul is present then the person
should wake up before being suffocated, what do you think?

Probably you have not read what I cited from Holy Quran in an earlier post 38.:)

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Probably you have not read what I cited from Holy Quran in an earlier post 38.:)

I did, the soul is temporary absent according to the verse . Do you understand it differently and what's your interpretation for it?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
"It's not the bullet that kills you........ It's the hole". -Laurie Anderson -

It probably wasn't the hole either......probably the loss of blood.

Without the hole there is probably no loss of blood.

atanu

Premium Member
I did, the soul is temporary absent according to the verse . Do you understand it differently and what's your interpretation for it?

Where does the verse say that soul is absent in deep sleep? It says:

"It is God that takes the souls at death, and those that die not during their sleep. He keeps that (soul) for which He hath ordained death and dismisseth the rest till an appointed term. Verily in this are signs for those who reflect." --39:42

If soul (or whatever that carries a name) was destroyed in sleep then it could not come back as the same person.

atanu

Premium Member
I repeat that consciousness is not same as mental phenomenon, comprising thoughts and emotions of self and others. Mind does not know the fullness of consciousness, except in meditation.

Pudding

Ask a baby.
Conscious - aware of and responding to one's surroundings; awake.

You say baby has all the senses but not conscious.
As the definition i provide, does "you say baby is not conscious" can be understand as "you say baby is not aware of and neither responding to their surroundings; you say the baby is not awake" ?

Please explain how baby is not conscious and your definition for "conscious".