• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which is worse? Which is easier? Which would you prefer? and Why.

d3vaLL

Which life is worse?

Being Jesus, knowing God exists, knowing God loves you most, knowing you are perfect, knowing your purpose in life, knowing you will make a great impact and be loved in the world, knowing your life has meaning, and dying for a well-defined, obvious purpose from the day you are born till the day you die...

OR

Not being sure of anything, wondering what life is all about, and being in continuous cycle of guilt or ambiguity from the day you were born till the day you die...

Considering the previously mentioned, Which life is easier/harder?

Considering the previously mentioned, Which life would you prefer?

and Why?

rtc143

Curious George
I think I'd still like the second option, just because to me, that's life, even spiritually. I believe we all should go thru life wondering about everything, or else, why were we created. We are just "creations" so we can't know everything anyway. Plus I like learning. However, it probably is easier to know it all and be loved. I prefer 2nd though.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
The latter certainly sounds easier but when you read about the life of Jesus in the bible you realize that his life was anything but. Regardless though I have to say I prefer the second kind of life because that is the life I live now(minus the constant guilt part but even that would be preferable) I may admire Jesus and follow many of his teachings but I certainly don't want to BE him. I'm perfectly happy just being myself and that ambiguity, wondering about life, and not being sure is part of what makes life worth living. What's the point in continuing to live if you already know it all.

The Great Architect

Both of these are very harsh choices. I would choose the second; knowing what Jesus suffered through. I think it is possible to be sure of oneself if one has a clear sense of self identity, a clear sense that they are not alone in the world; and that there are people who love them. Of course, this isn't possible for everybody. I still would not choose to be Jesus. Besides, no human is capable of this -- if you believe.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Which life is worse?

Being Jesus, knowing God exists, knowing God loves you most, knowing you are perfect, knowing your purpose in life, knowing you will make a great impact and be loved in the world, knowing your life has meaning, and dying for a well-defined, obvious purpose from the day you are born till the day you die...

OR

Not being sure of anything, wondering what life is all about, and being in continuous cycle of guilt or ambiguity from the day you were born till the day you die...

and Why?
I prefer being "Jesus", not being sure of anything, being perfect in my uncertainty, knowing "God" exists, knowing my purpose is to exist, knowing "impact" is illusion (and not illusion), being "love", and being in a continuous cycle of all things (a shining pearl whose constantly rotating face is revealed).

The whole dying for someone else's cause I will do without, though.

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
Did you know there are certain lines in theological thought which question the extent of Jesus' self knowledge? There could very well have been times in Jesus' life where he was just as confused and messed up as the rest of us. Don't say I agree with that line of thought but it certainly is possible. would make him a lot more human too.

The Great Architect

Did you know there are certain lines in theological thought which question the extent of Jesus' self knowledge? There could very well have been times in Jesus' life where he was just as confused and messed up as the rest of us. Don't say I agree with that line of thought but it certainly is possible. would make him a lot more human too.
I would be inclined to agree. He went through the complete, human experience. Pain, sadness, anger and self-doubt. Even an excruciating death.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I never understood the theory of Jesus being perfect.
I mean, what is the purpose of an all knowing deity to send himself as a "human"?

Actually, what I wonder about more is how anyone can claim that an entity that is perfect, never makes mistakes, never sins, etc. can be human.

The Great Architect

I never understood the theory of Jesus being perfect.
I mean, what is the purpose of an all knowing deity to send himself as a "human"?

Actually, what I wonder about more is how anyone can claim that an entity that is perfect, never makes mistakes, never sins, etc. can be human.

If you don't mind a theological response, I think Jesus was the human manifestation of God. He was the way for us to get close.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
If you don't mind a theological response, I think Jesus was the human manifestation of God. He was the way for us to get close.
To get close to what?
So you are saying that Jesus is merely God in human form?
Again, to what end?
Why would an all knowing deity need do such a thing?

The Great Architect

As I understand it, the Jewish tradition is of God as an entity being something that is far away; very mysterious and remote. Always to be glimpsed from afar. (I could be wrong.)

In Jesus, his disciples found someone who had a direct, and communicative, link with God. At the same time, he was undergoing a human experience -- with all the frailty and anger, that comes along with being human. In prayer, Jesus was able to commune with God; and gain the strength to be able to fulfil his mission. That's how I feel about it.

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
To get close to what?
So you are saying that Jesus is merely God in human form?
Again, to what end?
Why would an all knowing deity need (emphasis added) do such a thing?

It may not have been so much a matter of need as much as it was a matter of want, a desire to be close tu us and to share our pain. Not that I know the mind of God or anything...

Which life is worse?

OR

and Why?

would rather be human, jesus sounds like he has no free wil

Nessa Nenharma

Goddess of my Domain
Which life is worse?

OR

and Why?

I choose to not being sure of anything and wondering what life is all about ( although I wouldn't consider it a continuous cycle of guilt). I chose this one because I would find life boring if you knew everything. Part of the thrill of life is it's great mysteries. How could you ever learn and grow as a person if you knew it all already and knew why you were here. It's fun to discover the reasons of our being, and who knows, maybe your whole reason for being here is just to be :).

:bb:

Nessa

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
What need could an all knowing all powerful being have?

That is exactly my point, we can't really limit God by saying he nedded to do anything. But we can say that he wanted to do something. He didn't need to take on human form, but he could have wanted to.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
That is exactly my point, we can't really limit God by saying he nedded to do anything. But we can say that he wanted to do something. He didn't need to take on human form, but he could have wanted to.
My apologies.
I screwed up my last post.

it should have read:
What WANTS would an all powerful all knowing being have?

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
I prefer being "Jesus", not being sure of anything, being perfect in my uncertainty, knowing "God" exists, knowing my purpose is to exist, knowing "impact" is illusion (and not illusion), being "love", and being in a continuous cycle of all things (a shining pearl whose constantly rotating face is revealed).

The whole dying for someone else's cause I will do without, though.
:bow: This being bows to the wisdom of Willamena.