• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Religion would you be if any besides your own?

newhope101

I think anyone can develop their own spin on spirituality and it can be whatever they need it to be. However I feel if there is anything one can do in this life to make any difference in an afterlife, then 'God' should have found some way for mankind to access that knowledge and be able to discern if it is truth or gobbledegook. Just because one believes in something, does not make it a reality.

So, although I cannot mention a specific religion, I'd be happy to look at any writings that show some sort of devine knowledge, preferably one where the prophets or writers do not take glory for themselves ... and shows some sign of inspiration rather than just the words of man.

Antibush5

I would be the original religion I came from Roman Catholic, I would be the most militant, cleanse the world with a crusifix and a shotgun catholic, you ever did see.

Smoke

Done here.
Same here.

I'm not sure why that is, though: is it some kind of genetic attraction because ancestors used to venerate them, because there is more information on them and we are surrounded by them in some way (Thursday = Thor's day and all that), or because they are just awesome in general? :D

I'm not sure. I grew up with both Norse and Greek myths, but the Greek gods never appealed to me as much as the Norse gods, and I don't really know why.

What a great question!

Until joining RF, I truly has no idea there were so many religions to learn about, and choose between. And I plan on spending a lot of time reviewing the DIRs and discussions for a number of the positions offered for comparison.

I was raised reform Jewish, by good hearted parents who I am not convinced actually believed in God, but thought they should follow the religion of their forebears to some point. Due to this upbringing, I really had no strong God-concept. Over the years, I have poked around here and there... a little Buddhism (unfortunately, I was young and it was pseudo-Buddhism)... a few differing forms of Christianity, etc. My closest friend and her family were/are evangelical Christians, and i have spent a lot of time in their churches over the years. While I envied their strong belief that they and God were close, ultimately I rejected the rigidity of belief that I found there... And especially after the churches started pushing political stances more obviously. And when it became "crunch time", so to speak, I realized that I could never accept the divinity of Jesus, making the entire exercise null and void. Since then, I have read books written by Talmudic scholars that enforce my personal belief that Jesus lived, was a good man and rabbi, but not the son of God.

There was a long period of time in which I utterly rejected the God-concept, after two tragic, excruciating, and unnecessary deaths in my extended family within one year. I knew as I was doing it, on some level, that I was "punishing God" for allowing these deaths to happen, as silly as that now seems to me. Slowly, I started to come back to a belief in a God.... Simultaneously, I began reading the words and teachings of the Dalai Lama. At some point I realized that I really never knew my own religion, and started to fully explore the different denominations within Judaism. There is much to treasure within Judaism, although I am not sure where within Judaism I belong... or even if I can fit within one belief system.

So, a very long winded story, and thank you to any who had the patience to wade through it. But to answer the question - based on what I know now - I would choose to follow the Buddhism of the Dalai Lama. it will be interesting to revisit this answer after I have studied the amazing options offered here.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
I'll begin. I'm Kemetic Orthodox, and happy being, but at this point, if I could be any other religion- Arab Pagan reconstruct, Sanatan Dharma, or Zoroastrianism.

You?

Wow. Would love to meet you, Senedjem! You sound like an interesting fella! :p

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Interesting Anne. If I were to go back to any of the Abrahamic religions it'd probably be Reform Judaism at this point. Hey, at least then I'd be acting like a Jew, LOL.

OOooh if I had to be Abrahamic I'd disguise myself as a Sufi or a Kabbalist ;)

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Satanism. I think the idea of deity is a useful concept from a psychological standpoint, but I also think believing in things that aren't there is psychologically unhealthy. I am my own god, with the continuing goal of aligning my subjective universe with the objective universe.

*COUGH*
He think's he's a Satanist but he's actually Thelemic Hermeticist :p

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
I don't think genetics has much to do with what deities you serve. I'm certainly not Egyptian, LOL. If I were to serve a deity based on my genes, I'd serve the Jewish god.

OOOooooh I disagree here. I think everything is to do with genetics.
Not necessarily immediate ancestry, but your MAIN ancestry.

I certainly found this to be the case myself. When I graduated I went East in search of enlightenment, and although it found Buddism and Hinduisim wonderful, they did not click with me. I ended up finding two books in Kathmandu that changed my life. One was the Tao Te Ching interpreted by Aleister Crowley, and the other was a book on the Qabalistic Tree of Life.

I concluded that the reason they clicked so well with me was because I had Western Estoric heretidge. So I came back here and choose the western Esoteric path.. not forgetting of course that ALL ROADS LEAD TO ROME.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure. Probably Buddhism because of it's similarities to Hinduism..or Sikhism. Out of Christians I'd be a non-literal Catholic (already baptised into it, conveniently and I like Jesus), of Islam I'd be a Sufi, I quite like some pagan traditions, especially those that see divinity all around nature.

But the reason I am Hindu is because it contains the best of all these religions!