• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Religions Will Die Out?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
With freedom of religion returning to large parts, billions of people of Asia, I think atheism is dwindling as a belief system there.
Actually, at least in Japan, the younger generations are identifying as atheist at rates higher than older generations. Sorta like what he see happening in America.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
eh. my post was about power applied. Not about cultural growth. If there is a truly powerful being out there, then his power can be used to change things when his time for tolerance ends.

That hypothesis would bode very ill for many monotheisms, perhaps even all of them.

Unless, I suppose, God's tolerance is just odd.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I foresee a revival and strengthening of the Abrahamic faiths.

Global warming, over-population, resource depletion, environmental degradation, and other factors are almost certain to result in the destruction of liberal democracies and a rise of authoritarian or totalitarian states. In authoritarian states, the Abrahamic faiths will likely prove useful to the rulers as means of social control, and promoted for that reason.

The same factors (global warming, etc) are also almost certain to result in a reduction of standards of living and an increase in religiosity as people turn to their religions for charity.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
Hopefully they will all fall by the wayside like all previous gods and religions....... Let's try a reality based system for a change. But actually I don't think there are enough honest and realistic people to form any kind of responsible government. If a world is run by power hungry idiots like Bush and Cheney et al, then we'll see more of the same, and likely wipe out the bulk of the human race. These forums are a perfect example, many wait for the few, and then when they find someone whose ideas they don't like they attack them, and ridicule them rather than attempting to communicate. Bizarre world we're in mate!

I am confused by the "Christianity will continue to shrink" comments. All the Abrahamic faiths are growing faster than the rate of population growth worldwide, and the rate of growth is accelerating. There is a long term worldwide desecularization trend that is well established. How does that translate into shrinking?

Jumi

Actually, at least in Japan, the younger generations are identifying as atheist at rates higher than older generations. Sorta like what he see happening in America.
The Japanese are sympathetic to the religious traditions in their country even when they are secular and atheist. In some countries where atheists were persecuted or killed due to religion, there will be lack of sympathy for the country's former religions.

Awab Navi

Instead of asking which Religions will die we should be asking "Will the world as we know it exist 1000 years from now"?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I think that religions with a strong cultural component will last the longest; they offer inclusion to members even when they don't find a connection on a religious level. Universal religions tend to loose their value once an adherent stops following the theology.

The Unification Church is likely to die out because Mr. Moon was easily seen as at best a buffoon and at worst a con artist. His teachings are so wildly illogical, e.g. races suffering enmity to punish them for what their ancestors did, the making billions by selling arms and junk food, and his claim that he is the Messiah who in a past life was crucified but came back to breed a race of supermen, thus abusing the planet by having somewhere around a dozen children, and his history of using people.
He controlled people in his cult by limiting their sleep and the kind of food they were allowed to eat and making them sing campfire pop songs.
The pictures of him in a congress building illustrates how, along with his wife, he made a fool of himself by dressing up as king and queen while congressmen went along with it in hope of getting support by way of his billions of dollars to influence laws in his favor.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I foresee a revival and strengthening of the Abrahamic faiths.

Global warming, over-population, resource depletion, environmental degradation, and other factors are almost certain to result in the destruction of liberal democracies and a rise of authoritarian or totalitarian states. In authoritarian states, the Abrahamic faiths will likely prove useful to the rulers as means of social control, and promoted for that reason.

The same factors (global warming, etc) are also almost certain to result in a reduction of standards of living and an increase in religiosity as people turn to their religions for charity.

I fear you are probably right. Brazil's history seems to bear your prediction, at the very least. You have described it almost exactly.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I am confused by the "Christianity will continue to shrink" comments. All the Abrahamic faiths are growing faster than the rate of population growth worldwide, and the rate of growth is accelerating. There is a long term worldwide desecularization trend that is well established. How does that translate into shrinking?

It all comes down to how stable and viable you see those trends, IMO.

Eileen

I believe all religions as they are today will be changed-even Judaism. Although right now Judaism is closer to HaShem's ways than any other religion it needs some overhauling. Now, when Micah's prophesy it completed is a question however I hope it is sooner than latter.
Mic 4:1-2
In the last days the mountain of the YHVH’s house will be established at the top of the mountains and will be raised above the hills.
Peoples will stream to it, and the many nations will come and say, “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the YHVH, to the house of the Elohim of Yaacov. He will teach us about His ways so we may walk in His paths.” For instruction will go out of Zion and the word of the YHVH from Jerusalem.

fiat lux

All religions will die, because humanity is doomed to extinction (rather soon I think). What will forever exist is the eternal Tao which is beyond human comprehension.

ions

Addressing the original post:

Like the dark ages which ushered in a scientific revolution of sorts, I feel we have now entered a scientific dark age. Science, as it is practiced, is encumbered with its own dogmas. It no longer answers our core questions, rather has become a means for economic growth, perhaps just as religion had become at the peak of dark ages.

What will happen in the next 1000 years.

Based on the following basic axiom: Truth outlives lies
I would say that Vedanta will be realized as True. All subsequent religions will shed their auspices, and what will remain will be the same message as spoken of in Vedanta, though with additional richness of interpretation.

NB: I have studied various religions and have come to the conclusion that they all speak the same message, though in different tongues and for different audiences. Often however we find priests or rather evangelists contorting the message unnecessarily to drive down another religion. Once these religious wars end, we should be able to clearly see that the message was always the same just repeated because as humans we are not that smart and need reminders.

BG 4.6: Although I am unborn and My transcendental body never deteriorates, and although I am the Lord of all living entities, I still appear in every millennium in My original transcendental form.

BG 4.7: Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion — at that time I descend Myself.

BG 4.8: To deliver the pious and to annihilate the miscreants, as well as to reestablish the principles of religion, I Myself appear, millennium after millennium.

source: Bhagavad-gita As It Is Chapter 4