• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Are RF's Artists?

cardero

Citizen Mod

It has been awhile since this question was posed and we did get a lot of new members so this is the thread where you can introduce your talent and maybe we can coax a few of the regulars to post some current or unseen work.

Please explain how long you have been drawing, painting or doodling.

Where did you get your talent from? Was it a family member or was it inspired from someone else?

What medium do you work with best and which do you enjoy working with more?

Could you be an artist for a living or do you just like to keep it as a hobby?

As an artist what other mediums or types of art wouldn’t you mind exploring? What are your artistic regrets?

How much have computers affected your art? Are they an asset or unnecessary?

BONUS QUESTION: I’m thinking there will be a lot of views to this thread and I really didn’t want to start a separate thread so I am also adding this selfish desperate plea (non-artists can respond).

Where can I find the best knee high white socks with a durable elasticity that would last for a long time before having to replace them?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I like to do art, but I don't know that I'm really good at it. I like to think I'm above average, but not by a whole lot. I'll answer the questions now:

I have been doodling for a very long time, probably about since I knew how to hold a pencil/crayon/marker, but I've been drawing sort of good with depth and stuff in my drawings maybe since sixth grade or so. I painted in high school, but I think I'm better at drawing than painting.

Where did you get your talent from? Was it a family member or was it inspired from someone else?

My talent is my own. I started drawing like crap because I didn't know what I was doing, and then I slowly got better. My dad could draw well, but I don't think drawing well is genetic... it could be though.

I think I work best with pen or pencil, but I enjoy working with clay. I am terrible at clay, but I really like to play with it. In high school I created a little man who was half way through an autopsy. He had little ribs and a little heart and everything. That's probably why I didn't get all of my projects done, because I was making quick little disturbing figures instead of doing what I was supposed to.

I might be able to. A lady wanted to buy a huge oil pastel apple I drew in high school. I don't know how much I'd like drawing a bunch of apples all the time though, so I'd probably rather not try to make a living off of it. Most things I draw probably wouldn't sell.

As an artist what other mediums or types of art wouldn’t you mind exploring? What are your artistic regrets?
I don't have artistic regrets. I don't know what that means. I'd like to try all sorts of art stuff, but supplies are kind of too expensive for me to just blow all my money on trying new stuff. I'd like to paint more with canvas because we did a practice one in art, but then I graduated early and never got to do a real one. I think I could do better on a real one verses the practice one.

I don't do art on the computer. Except for little joke things on the paint program. Maybe you remember some of them? I've posted them in the past.

Smoke

Done here.
I'm lousy at drawing and painting. I do it because I can't help myself.

My dad used to be pretty good at it, back in the 60s and 70s. He did some pretty impressive stuff, mostly just for humorous effect, but it took talent.

I seem to have the inclination but not the talent. :eek:

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
As long as I can remember. Mainly pencil and ink illustrations, some acrylics, colored pencils, inks, and watercolors. Oils are a pain in the arse!

All of my brothers are artists/illustrators/pencillers; I'm not sure where we picked it up from since our parents and their parents were all academic types in engineering and science- though I vaguely recall my mom drawing. I myself was inspired by tons of comic book artists, Edward Gorey, Richard Dadd, outsider art, Rackham, and on and on...

I'm an illustrator so pencils and inks are my preferences.

I'd love to but it's a hobby and likely always will be. I'm way too slow for any realistic career as a comic book artist.

Sculptures. I've done some odd arrangements with things like animal bones- I'm fascinated by Victorian automaton and taxidermy art. I have a thing for Sarina Brewer. Yeah... major crush.
portrait.jpg

I was torn between biology and the arts in college, so I focused on science. No regrets, I just wish I hadn't put art on the backburner for so long.

Both. I like coloring with Painter X or Photoshop though I'm very inexperienced and still in the newbie stages there- and I really love using an art tablet!

Where can I find the best knee high white socks with a durable elasticity that would last for a long time before having to replace them?
Wear panty hose. They feel great.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
This thread has faded... So, inspired by Cardero's recent update of his comic thread-
BUMP!!!!

Most of my scribblings are in storage still, and I haven't scanned most of it yet. But here's a few pencil illustrations.
An evil baby pencil sketch I used as an avatar on RF awhile back:
DaemonBaby-2.jpg

Details from a larger sketch for a comic book panel. I may digitally ink and color it or just bin the whole thing:
Jum-1.jpg

Jum-1-1-1.jpg

And I found this older sketch on my pc:
Kate-1.jpg

linwood

Nepenthe just popped this thread up and I wondered how I missed it.

All little kids are making marks as soon as they can wrap their hand around a crayon.
I just never stopped.

I`m mostly self taught although networking with other artists has helped my skill level alot.

Acrylic paint on just about any ground.
I think it`s just very familiar to me at this point.

I have sold my work at for enough money to support my family for short periods.
Trouble is it`s way too much work to possibly keep pace with.
No,I couldn`t do it for a living at this point in my life.

I like sculpting in clay but I really only sculpt as an excuse to try to learn casting techniques.
My artistic regret is that I didn`t focus myself on a career in art when young.

I consider my traditional oil or acrylic canvases to be digital art to an extent. Considering how I`ve evolved to using my PC and digital photography as tools to produce a painting.
The tech isn`t necessary but it can enhance the techniques used.
I`d call it an asset, a large one.

Caution: There are naked people at the link below.

My Gallery

Wayofthespirit

I am a Monotheistic Deist
I'm a newbie and I'm adding my paintings into my album as I post along.
I'm into watercolour and oils, landscape, seascape, streetscape, close-ups, abstracts, impressionism, and representational stuff as the mood grabs me.
Began painting in 1988 when my late wife got cancer and I took early retirement.
Self taught by gallery hopping and musing "One day I'll be able to do as well as that" or "Surely I can do better than that".
Carrot and stick pinciple 'carrot' getting less and 'stick' increasing as time passed.
I'm in the UK so I don't 'sell' as far afield as America but you can view a larger selection of my work on my website which I can't post here because I'm not yet up to 15 posts but I'll now pop over and see if I can add it to my profile.

OK, website is now in 'my profile - contact info'

Mike.

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member
As a writer, I consider myself an artist. I'm not sure if this is the right thread for me (seems it's more about physical art). As for posting my work, sorry, but I don't share online (too risky, IMO).

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I alternate between pencil or ink drawings and writing (Like Watchmen I consider writing an art). I began drawing before I can remember. I've been writing since I was 16.

My father's family had several artists in it.

If you can compare the two, I write better than I draw. But I enjoy drawing more than writing.

What are your artistic regrets?

No musical talent to speak of, and I sometimes wish I'd majored in art.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm lousy at drawing and painting. I do it because I can't help myself.

This fairly represents my attitude towards drawing too.

I've only scanned two of my drawings, and they are in my profile.

sunstone-albums-miscellaneous-art-picture1219-img-0394-smaller.html

sunstone-albums-miscellaneous-art-picture1218-img-0026-1.html

Last edited:

cardero

Citizen Mod
Nepenthe just popped this thread up and I wondered how I missed it.

Caution: There are naked people at the link below.

My Gallery

I liked many of the but my favorites are Puzzled II; Introspective, Illumination, Devil May Care, Tempted ATC. I have always enjoyed Blackbird III; Key Keeper.

Erebus

I collect and paint Warhammer models. For those of you who don't know what that is, they're basically model kits that you assemble and paint yourself. I've been collecting for about 10 years and thought I'd share a few of my favourites (unfortunately my camera doesn't capture the detail properly but these photos will have to do).

IMG_0099-1.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

The top two photos are of a Bloodthirster, the second one is of a Dark Elf standard bearer and a Dark Elf sorceress, the third one is a regiment of Daemonettes and the last one is a Yhetee. I entered the Yhetee into the Golden Demon competition (a massive Warhammer painting competition) and managed to get through to the finals, but unfortunately didn't win a trophy.

Hope you all like them :)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
It has been awhile since this question was posed and we did get a lot of new members so this is the thread where you can introduce your talent and maybe we can coax a few of the regulars to post some current or unseen work.

I have'nt painted for some time now as i get frustrated and end up scrapping them,i only have one completed so i will take a photo of it and post it later

I have sketched since i was a Kid of 5 and have always loved Art

My Mother was an artist and musician

I love working with clay,figures and such but my absolute favourite is Iron,other than that Pastels and Acrylic

Would you be an artist for a living or do you just like to keep it as a hobby?

Hobby

I would like to try Oil painting,artistically i have tried most,Music is a regret for me as i messed about when my Mother tried to teach me the Piano

Apart from ordering materials not at all

BONUS QUESTION: I’m thinking there will be a lot of views to this thread and I really didn’t want to start a separate thread so I am also adding this selfish desperate plea (non-artists can respond).

Mens Fresh Feel White 100% Cotton Non Elastic Socks - Socks 'N' Knicks :p

MissAlice

This thread has faded... So, inspired by Cardero's recent update of his comic thread-
BUMP!!!!

Most of my scribblings are in storage still, and I haven't scanned most of it yet. But here's a few pencil illustrations.
An evil baby pencil sketch I used as an avatar on RF awhile back:
DaemonBaby-2.jpg

Details from a larger sketch for a comic book panel. I may digitally ink and color it or just bin the whole thing:
Jum-1.jpg

Jum-1-1-1.jpg

And I found this older sketch on my pc:
Kate-1.jpg

Oh wow, those are great!!!

I especially love the evil baby! :clap

I'll have to get mine out and show some doodlings I've done.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I am horrible at pen and paper, paint, or whatnot. I try, and want to, but I just don't have the talent.
Clay is something I am somewhat good at working with it, and I find it to be a very relaxing hobby. I just wish a wheel wasn't so expensive.

My main art is in theatre and music though. Pro-wrestling was fun, but my knees progressively got worse from it, and it's been about three years since I wrestled on a regular basis.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
a long time

Me mom mostly, but both-side of my family have artist.

Pencil mostly

Hobby, way to weird.

Computer art, would love to draw on a comper but I sux

None really. I only us it after finishing something and I would like to color it in

Bonus material. Yay
Something I love to draw when I'm trying to relax at work
3871987846_84d1b70f68.jpg

cardero

Citizen Mod

I have been drawing at the very young age of 4.

Since I will have to credit my love and interest in music and movies to my father, it was my mother who had the talent of drawing. My earliest recollections were of her teaching my sister and I how to draw a simple deer. Another inspiration were the many art teachers I had including my High B.O.C.E.S. commercial art teacher, Mr. Alan Krauss. He taught me the seriousness and business aspect of art and how not to take my talent (or the people who were grading my talent) for granted.

I never had the patience for oil painting (but I appreciate their results) or the training for acrylics. I do enjoy watercolor and I am very versatile with this medium. Charcoals and pastels is what I excel at. I enjoy doing animals and pets in color pastels and human portraits in black charcoal and white pastels. I have always been dangerous with pen and pencil and I am currently trying to work with ink and brush.

I keep telling mrscardero that if I had to draw comics for a living I would eventually blow my brains out but the truth is I like to keep it as a hobby. Drawing is more satisfying to me when it is done on my own terms and at my own pace. When I graduated high school, I wanted to enroll in Joe Kubert’s School of Sequential Art and Animation in Dover, New Jersey but neither I nor my parents could afford the intuition. There is some thought lately of enrolling in their correspondence course with the help of our Employee Thruway Tuition Assistance but I will have to look more into it. Since I do enjoy the world and medium of comics, I could and should look into making comics my livelihood.

Oil and acrylic painting. My artistic regrets are not touching base with the talent often enough. Many eggs in many baskets have prevented me from mastering talents and seeing things through. I can only re-visit my artistic side and the amount of work produced is paltry and selfish at best.

Lately they have affected my artwork quite a bit. Mrscardero and I are in the early stages of marrying the medium with technology. Computer programs like Photoshop and Adobe Illustration bring a world of techniques available to the hands-on artist. I still enjoy the simplicity of pencil and paper but when I want to apply the punch or the zing, it is good to know this technology is available. With our computer Wacom drawing tablet, I am quickly coming to the realization that it is possible to draw on the computer.

Last edited:

Aquitaine

I collect and paint Warhammer models. For those of you who don't know what that is, they're basically model kits that you assemble and paint yourself. I've been collecting for about 10 years and thought I'd share a few of my favourites (unfortunately my camera doesn't capture the detail properly but these photos will have to do).
IMG_0099-1.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

The top two photos are of a Bloodthirster, the second one is of a Dark Elf standard bearer and a Dark Elf sorceress, the third one is a regiment of Daemonettes and the last one is a Yhetee. I entered the Yhetee into the Golden Demon competition (a massive Warhammer painting competition) and managed to get through to the finals, but unfortunately didn't win a trophy.

Hope you all like them :)

W-T-H you messing around with Chaos and Daemons for, where's Tau!?

:p

Nice paintng though, I especially like the bottom one.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

My whole life.

Both my parents are artists. They both paint and draw very well. My mother's side of the family is especially artistic. Her mother painted murals and portraits for a living in fact.

I enjoy acrylics, pastels, charcoals, and pen and ink.

I could probably paint murals and decorative art (like faux finishes) for a living but it is physically demanding and I prefer not to pressure my art with having to pull income from it.

I would enjoy getting into sculpture more (I've done a little of it and enjoyed it). I need a studio and the next house we buy I am going to be sure I have one. I would like to work with larger pieces of abstract art and I need space!

Unnecessary for my art.

Here are some of my works:

Christmascarolset2-1.jpg

I painted most of this set for a local play.

BulldogBoosterClubbooth1.jpg

Booster Club booth that I painted and my husband built.

Michaelsdadportrait.jpg

This is a portrait of my husband's father that I did a couple of years ago.

Atreyu

The Devil herself
I have been an artist since I was born, I mostly sketch but I also paint as well. I am going to school for art, not sure if it is a good career choice, however I enjoy it.