• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who created God?

filthy tugboat

before we move on i would like to clarify that although "all concepts that are representative of reality hold no less meaning without a mind.." it is also true to say that all concepts that are representative of reality would not exist without a human mind. so even if reality stays the same, regardless of the existence of a human mind, the concepts representing reality can not exist without the human mind

Not necessarily true, the concepts themselves do exist, there is just nobody thinking about them. That is what concepts are, they are derived from physical reality, they are an abstraction of reality, a property of reality. They do exist. The concepts themselves are no less true or meaningful if nobody is around to put them into words.

Again, the number of planets does not change if nobody is counting them.

jamesmorrow

Not necessarily true, the concepts themselves do exist, there is just nobody thinking about them. That is what concepts are, they are derived from physical reality, they are an abstraction of reality, a property of reality. They do exist. The concepts themselves are no less true or meaningful if nobody is around to put them into words.

Again, the number of planets does not change if nobody is counting them.

i think we are both saying the same thing in different ways.... what i am saying is that the number of planets IS REALITY regardless of whether someone thinks about them or counts them. but the actual throught process that goes into counting planets does not exist without the human mind, because it is a product of the human mind.

filthy tugboat

i think we are both saying the same thing in different ways.... what i am saying is that the number of planets IS REALITY regardless of whether someone thinks about them or counts them. but the actual throught process that goes into counting planets does not exist without the human mind, because it is a product of the human mind.

Indeed, the thought process does not exist without the human mind, what is being thought of does exist though. Hence the ability to think of it.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
This all resulted from post 204. Numbers are to reality as the human mind is to God.

Daviso452

Boy Genius
Depends on who you're talking to.

Evidence is not subjective. Empirical evidence is without bias or emotion. However I do admit that some things that might be considered empirical evidence do have bias in them. For those examples, they are not in fact empirical evidence. They are mis-labeled.

What empirical evidence do you have?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
What are you saying?
It is becoming increasingly likely that numbers (and more advanced structures) are fundamental building blocks of the universe. It doesn't seem likely that human minds are the fundamental components of God.

Sleeppy

He's suggesting that the human mind is the fundamental building block of the God concept. It was a subtle jibe that I may have just ruined by explaining it.

Thought so. Had to make sure because that's also saying, indirectly, that numbers are the fundamental building blocks of reality. Which is false.

Sleeppy

It is becoming increasingly likely that numbers (and more advanced structures) are fundamental building blocks of the universe. It doesn't seem likely that human minds are the fundamental components of God.

I agree with the second statement. I don't know what you mean by the first.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Modern physics is framed in terms of manipulating and structuring "information," which at its most fundemental is a string of numbers.