• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you think is the greatest religious figure of all?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I know that some people might not believe in certain religions, but they can still recognize their main figures and personalities.

Who do you think is the greatest religious figure of all religions and why?

rusra02

Premium Member
I know that some people might not believe in certain religions, but they can still recognize their main figures and personalities.

Who do you think is the greatest religious figure of all religions and why?

Without a doubt, Jehovah. He is the only true God. As Revelation 4:11 states: "You are worthy Jehovah, even our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they existed and were created".

After Jehovah, Jesus is the most important religious figure, as God's only-begotten Son. "For even though there are those who are called "gods", whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many "gods" and many "lords", there is actually to us one God the Father, out of whom all things are, and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are, and we through him." (1 Corinthians 8:5,6

Onkara

The most well known, I would say is Jesus for peace or Mohammed for submission. The greatest work I have read is by Adi Shankarachaya, a Hindu, for logic and understanding of the scriptures.

Mark2020

According to Michael Hart, in his book titled (The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History), it was the Prophet of Islam:
The 100 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Michael Hart's 'The 100, A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons In History,' New York, 1978.

[FONT=Arial, Times New Roman, Palatino, Times]"Furthermore, Muhammad (unlike Jesus) was a secular leader as well as a religious leader. In fact as the driving force behind the Arab conquests, he may well rank as the most influential political leader of all time. . . [When Muhammad died in 632, he was the effective leader of all of southern Arabia. By 711, Arab armies had swept completely across North Africa to the Atlantic Ocean. In a scant century of fighting, the Bedouin tribesmen, inspired by the word of the Prophet, had carved out an empire stretching from the borders of India to the Atlantic Ocean -- the largest empire that the world had yet seen.] [/FONT]"

Michael Hart chose him because his and his followers' troops invaded a big part of the known world then!!!
I wonder if they knew anything else about him. They just looked at material warfare results, not spiritual ones.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Obviously the founders of Christianity. Their dead weight is STILL holding back scientific progress, despite all the logic in the universe.

GabrielWithoutWings

Michael Hart chose him because his and his followers' troops invaded a big part of the known world then!!!
I wonder if they knew anything else about him. They just looked at material warfare results, not spiritual ones.

They most likely took into account what occurred in the centuries following. Islam is the reason the Greek classics were preserved, algebra and chemistry was furthered, and we use Arabic numerals instead of Roman numerals.

It's been speculated that if the Islamic empire had managed to further itself into mainland Europe, the Renaissance would have been unnecessary.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Such a subjective question bringing in many subjective answers. ^_^

For me... probably Sri Ramakrishna.

Bob Dixon

>implying
Alright, top ten, let's go.

1. Jesus
2. John the Baptist
3. All the other prophets (those we know and those we don't, all around the world)
4. Krishna
5. Siddhartha Gautama
6. Guru Nanak
7. Plato
8. Vyasa
9. Rabbi Moses Ben Maimon (Rambam)
10. Lao Tze

100. Paul

9001. Sun Myung Moon

Anyone want to suggest amendments to this list?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Alright, top ten, let's go.

1. Jesus
2. John the Baptist
3. All the other prophets (those we know and those we don't, all around the world)
4. Krishna
5. Siddhartha Gautama
6. Guru Nanak
7. Plato
8. Vyasa
9. Rabbi Moses Ben Maimon (Rambam)
10. Lao Tze

100. Paul

9001. Sun Myung Moon

Anyone want to suggest amendments to this list?
Plato doesn't seem to have that fundamental a role...

Bob Dixon

>implying
Influenced, but many of the top ten are founders. Ranking an influence on their level seems really devaluing...

Actually, most of my top ten weren't founders at all.
John the Baptist wasn't, neither were the prophets, neither was Krishna, and neither were Plato, Vyasa, and Rambam.

Plato was hugely influential on modern Abrahamic thought, as well as ALL of Western philosophy. I consider that quite important.