• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who do you think is the greatest religious figure of all?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Actually, most of my top ten weren't founders at all.
John the Baptist wasn't, neither were the prophets, neither was Krishna, and neither were Plato, Vyasa, and Rambam.

Plato was hugely influential on modern Abrahamic thought, as well as ALL of Western philosophy. I consider that quite important.
I consider Krishna and the prophets founders. I guess I shouldn't be using the term "founder" when what I really mean is someone who is actually devoted to the religion they are influencing. Plato's work wasn't specifically based on Christianity. It was just adopted into their beliefs.

Bob Dixon

>implying
I consider Krishna and the prophets founders. I guess I shouldn't be using the term "founder" when what I really mean is someone who is actually devoted to the religion they are influencing. Plato's work wasn't specifically based on Christianity. It was just adopted into their beliefs.

No, of course not. We're not talking just Christianity, though. We're talking in general. And Plato was super-influential in general.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I know that some people might not believe in certain religions, but they can still recognize their main figures and personalities.

Who do you think is the greatest religious figure of all religions and why?

Although i don't believe in any of them or even if some of them ever existed and whether religious and great should be in the same sentence i would say the story of Jesus is the most noble and most renowned.

outhouse

Atheistically
I know that some people might not believe in certain religions, but they can still recognize their main figures and personalities.

Richard Carrier or Dawkins, is anti religion, religion?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I consider Krishna and the prophets founders.

Except Krishna didn't found anything. The historical Krishna, if he existed (I believe he did), he would have been a king. Any religion he would have been promoting would have been one that already existed, not a new one.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd go with Siddhartha Gautama I suppose. Many aspects of his teachings are true even if certain metaphysical assumptions are discarded, making them relevant in philosophy even in a secular context. Quotes attributed to him promote reason, self-examination, independence, peace, etc. Many concepts, such as "no-self" have a degree of validity thousands of years later, and his teachings generally are not based on certain lynchpins that result in the whole thing being undone if certain aspects are disproved.

No, of course not. We're not talking just Christianity, though. We're talking in general. And Plato was super-influential in general.
In terms of philosophy or shaping various religious thoughts, I think many of the great Greek philosophers played a very important role.

Their primary roles were basically founding and shaping western philosophy, but this is inevitably entangled with religion.

religion99

Here is my biased opinion:

Monk Kunda Kunda. He occupies the same place in Digambara Jainism as Muhammand in Islam , Jesus in Christianity and Adi Shankaracharya in Hinduism. The True Prophet of the true Jain God (Mahavira) and of the true religion (Digambara Jainism). According to digambar jain scriptures, had he not been there , true path to peace and happiness would have vanished from Earth.

Joseph Smith. The Savior, Jesus Christ, restored His true gospel through him.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is still The Devil.
I suspect that he'll make appearances here once presidential election campaigning gets under way.
He has informed me that this humble heathen shall serve as His medium of malevolence once again.

Awoon

I suspect that he'll make appearances here once presidential election campaigning gets under way.
He has informed me that this humble heathen shall serve as His medium of malevolence once again.

Without The Devil, Christianity and Republicans disappear.

AHHHH HA HA HA HA LOL LOL

Last edited:
Krishna is God... He's not a human person to me, so I can not compare. :p

Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu... He founded a sect of Vaishnavism, and brought about Vaishnavism to even the lowest of classes and untouchables... He brought an inspiring vision that Vishnu / Krishna is for everyone, and the easiest path to God is chanting any of God's names with love and devotion... this extends beyond traditional religious classifications.

Even secularly, He was considered the first to produce a peace demonstration against the Moghuls during the Islamic reign in India, and the catalyst for the Bengali renaissance. He truly showed that Scriptural knowledge, great austerities and whatnot are necessary to develop a personal relationship with Krishna, and to lovingly devote oneself to Him.

After Him, I like Sri Ramanujacharya. But to be more fair and less biased, I would say that the greatest religious figure of all would be Mother Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ. :D The greatest woman to display so much subservience and submission to the Will of God. :)