• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who here believes in "Scientism"?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The scientism cultists think science is like God: omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. All good and true things come from science, and anything else is just the silly make-believe of weak and childish minds.
This confirms your acrid pejorative anti-science agenda against 95%+ of all scientists and every major university in the world.

PureX

Veteran Member
The problem I have is that their subjective opinions abot what correct is, is not really subjective.
Their God is the ideal of objectivity as they perceive it being manifested through "the physical evidence". Their God of objectivity is in reality, though, a subjectively experienced and reasoned ideal. Which they absolutely cannot acknowledge so as to avoid the massive internal dissonance that it would generate.

RestlessSoul

This post reflects your extreme agenda against science based on an ancient religious agenda. This post like the pejorative acrid accusation of "Scientism" is personal and irrational.

My views on science and empiricism are not personal they are shared by 95%+ of all the scientists of the world, and every major academic university of the world.

Did you actually read my post? What you’ve said bears no relation to it.

I very much doubt whether 95% of all scientists in the world share you views on anything. Getting consensus among scientists on a lot of issues is rare.

I think you’re just drawing attention to your own poor understanding of what’s being discussed, here and elsewhere.

You just explained in your own words exactly this mistake.

I realise you don’t understand your mistake, but that’s your problem and just repeating the word “no” won’t magically make you less wrong.

I am hostile to the accusation of Scientism, because it is a pejorative accusation with an agenda against science

If you were more open minded you’d realise, in the context I mentioned, it is a pejorative against unscientific thinking and a lack of scepticism.

Actually, yes.

You just pointed out some limitations of the social sciences that make them less reliable, I’m not sure what mental gymnastics it would require on your behalf to also maintain that people could not overestimate the scope and accuracy of the social sciences.

If you accept people can overestimate the scope and reliability of the social sciences, then you agree that scientism exists and is, to some extent, a problem.

You just don’t realise it as you are unaware of the history of the term scientism and that it was not invented for religious apologetics. It has long been used in academic scholarship and the philosophy of science (for example by Karl Popper whose idea of falsifiability you referred to earlier).

You ignored them and did not respond.
Don’t tell fibs :handpointdown:
The article is not about whether or not the social science use MN (they do), but relates to a different philosophical question "The Unity of Science" i.e. the extent to which different sciences can be considered to form part of the same unified methodological and explanatory framework.

See for example:

The Unity of Science (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Yeah, you don't like that, but that you don't like that, is not a part of our physical existence.
Your problem is that you are subjective in a way for which you have no evidence that it is a part of our physical existence. Yet in effect according to you, it is only real if it is comfirmed by natural science.
So all of your feelings are in effect unreal, but you know that it is not the case, because you feel them. That is the joke of your worldview.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It is a fact that you expressed this belief. This confirms your acrid pejorative anti-science agenda against 95%+ of all scientists and every major university in the world.

But it is not a fact, since the belief is subjective and you only accept objective physical facts for this world.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You just explained in your own words exactly this mistake.
No
I realise you don’t understand your mistake, but that’s your problem and just repeating the word “no” won’t magically make you less wrong.

No
If you were more open minded you’d realise, in the context I mentioned, it is a pejorative against unscientific thinking and a lack of scepticism.
Scientism does not have a positive context concerning science.
Actually, yes.

Actually no.
You just pointed out some limitations of the social sciences that make them less reliable,
No, not necessarily less reliable.
I’m not sure what mental gymnastics it would require on your behalf to also maintain that people could not overestimate the scope and accuracy of the social sciences.
The mental gymnastics are your Modus Operandi.

Individual fallible humans can overestimate anything they choose, but it remains "Scientism" is a pejorative attack on science without a constructive purpose, and your posts are getting terrible monotonous and circular,
If you accept people can overestimate the scope and reliability of the social sciences, then you agree that scientism exists and is, to some extent, a problem.
No, scientism does not exist by definition. It is a Strawman accusation.
You just don’t realise it as you are unaware of the history of the term scientism and that it was not invented for religious apologetics. It has long been used in academic scholarship and the philosophy of science (for example by Karl Popper whose idea of falsifiability you referred to earlier).

Don’t tell fibs :handpointdown:
I thought you were through, but continue to ramble meaninglessly.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No

No

Scientism does not have a positive context concerning science.

Actually no.

No, not necessarily less reliable.

The mental gymnastics are your Modus Operandi.

Individual fallible humans can overestimate anything they choose, but it remains "Scientism" is a pejorative attack on science without a constructive purpose, and your posts are getting terrible monotonous and circular,

No, scientism does not exist by definition. It is a Strawman accusation.

I thought you were through, but continue to ramble meaninglessly.

You really have a lot of feelings and subjective opinions.
It seems that you in effect can't recognize when you are subjective. That is okay, that is normal. It just means that you don't understand when you are subjective.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You really have a lot of feelings and subjective opinions.
It seems that you in effect can't recognize when you are subjective. That is okay, that is normal. It just means that you don't understand when you are subjective.

It seems . . . reflects your personal agenda without a coherent worldview.

Nihilism

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Their God is the ideal of objectivity as they perceive it being manifested through "the physical evidence". Their God of objectivity is in reality, though, a subjectively experienced and reasoned ideal. Which they absolutely cannot acknowledge so as to avoid the massive internal dissonance that it would generate.
No God involved in Science.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It seems . . . reflects your personal agenda without a coherent worldview.

Nihilism

No, that is not a fact, because it is not with obejctive, physical evidence that I can be subjective in effect.
Are you okay? You seem to be claiming something, which is not a part of our physical existence. ;)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No God involved in Science.

Well, here is a relgious article about scientism. It is written by me and everything else on the Internet about scientism is written by me, including all the post by other posters here. ;)