• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is Claiming that Humans are Gods

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

carcinoid112

IMO, 12 step programs are a combination of pop psychology and pseudo-religious though that got put together to provide a DIFFERENT addictive activity. Instead of drinking, you go to a meeting or work the steps. Instead of drugs, or food, or whatever "addiction" you're trying to overcome--work the program.

The activity of working the program takes the place of the addiction. The religious aspect can be replaced by an emphasis on personal responsibility. It's fairly simplistic, but it does have a fairly high rate of (limited) success. The REAL way to break addictions is to get control, by any means possible, over the addiction.

As a chocoholic, I have chosen to accept my addiction, and feed it limited amounts of bittersweet on a regular basis...it works for me, and I don't have to drag around a book!

Mike182

Flaming Queer
I think it's interesting that 12-step programs include an acknowledgment that there is something greater than one's self. With the acknowledge comes the ability to control one's own life. 12-step programs have been proven to be very effective, yet they also seem to contradict the LaVey's theory.

i've never looked at 12-step programes, any problems i have ever had have easily been resolved by a 3 step program. i don't actually know if 12 step programes would work with someone from a left hand path, if it doesn't, then it doesn't contradict LaVey's theory at all.

Rolling_Stone

Who in RF is claiming that humans are gods. If we are gods, how do we realize our divinity, and how can you prove that you are divine?
Me. Well, I am, am not, and yet I am. What's so odd about that? Think about it. If I may paraphrase Random: “I” is both the truth and the consequence of the aggregate of existence: consciousness, thought, form and perception (thought-form). There is nothing else.

If it is true that the center of the universe is everywhere and circumference nowhere (something almost universally accepted in modern cosmology and a phrase used by some to describe God), it follows that all of us stand at the center of him/her/it. We ain't God, but we ain't apart from God, either.

wednesday

Jesus
It is my belief that Satanists (some not all of course) worship themselves as gods as well as satan bringing pride in ones self (also on occasion arrogance and ignorance). Back in the day when i wanted to be the devils advocate i had pride in myself having read the satanic bible written by Anton LaVey

Mr. Peanut

The Bible says there is only one God, none before him and none besides him. The one God has adopted me as a son by the death and resurrection of his Only Begotten Son, although I certainly did not deserve such love. Praise God!

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Me. Well, I am, am not, and yet I am. What's so odd about that? Think about it. If I may paraphrase Random: “I” is both the truth and the consequence of the aggregate of existence: consciousness, thought, form and perception (thought-form). There is nothing else.

If it is true that the center of the universe is everywhere and circumference nowhere (something almost universally accepted in modern cosmology and a phrase used by some to describe God), it follows that all of us stand at the center of him/her/it. We ain't God, but we ain't apart from God, either.

Are you speaking of the understanding that all of existance is essentially the same substance? The higher power, nature, humans etc. That is where i think the problem might be here, other than equating faith to truth. Some people are thinking of divinity as the Father-like God, one and only. Others to me seem to be focusing on the quality of divinity. To have some qualities of divinity does not make you The God. I'm thinking more along the lines of how Hindu's regard divinity i guess, their concept of Brahman. BTW, this is a very good thread! I'm not trying to interject my own opinion, just trying to clarify the two, or three different views of what is divine.

nutshell

I don't like 12 Step programs, they make you feel like your weak and pathetic and that and the only way to really take control of your life is to give in to God and then you can take "responsibility" for what you do. Which I think is bull.

Acknowledging "God" isn't required - just something more than yourself.

Also, the evidence is that they work so I'm not sure what your beef is with them. Or would you prefer people keep their addictions?

nutshell

IMO, 12 step programs are a combination of pop psychology and pseudo-religious though that got put together to provide a DIFFERENT addictive activity. Instead of drinking, you go to a meeting or work the steps. Instead of drugs, or food, or whatever "addiction" you're trying to overcome--work the program.

The activity of working the program takes the place of the addiction. The religious aspect can be replaced by an emphasis on personal responsibility. It's fairly simplistic, but it does have a fairly high rate of (limited) success. The REAL way to break addictions is to get control, by any means possible, over the addiction.

As a chocoholic, I have chosen to accept my addiction, and feed it limited amounts
of bittersweet on a regular basis...it works for me, and I don't have to drag around a book!

The part in bold destroyed your credibility.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Acknowledging "God" isn't required - just something more than yourself.

Also, the evidence is that they work so I'm not sure what your beef is with them. Or would you prefer people keep their addictions?

Most of the time I hear them say God not Higher Power so I guess it depends on what one hears said. And most of the time when someone say Higher Power the mean God anyway. But my beef is that it just seem to make it like it's not there fault and that they should just give in to that higher power.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Who in RF is claiming that humans are gods. If we are gods, how do we realize our divinity, and how can you prove that you are divine?

I'm claiming this. I have the potential to become a god. We realize our potential by following God's commandments and improving ourselves. We must become absolutly perfect beings. You you want me to show you any god-like powers then give me time to die and be resurrected then an infinate amount of time to become a perfect being. But if I ever make it I'll get back to you.

fallen angel zar'roc

Servant of Lucifer
I have no need to be a god, I would prefer to remain a fallen angel. I'll let Lucifer led me, but letting go of god is just as good for me.

Somkid

You challenge us to do it to prove we are gods first I challenge your god to do just one of the things on list and I will be happy to do the rest for him/her.

Smoke

Done here.
I think it's interesting that 12-step programs include an acknowledgment that there is something greater than one's self. With the acknowledge comes the ability to control one's own life. 12-step programs have been proven to be very effective, yet they also seem to contradict the LaVey's theory.
Except for two things: there may be more than one effective way to control your own life, and 12-step programs have not, in fact, been shown to be very effective. For instance, Alcoholics Anonymous, the granddaddy of all 12-step programs, has a success rate about equal to the rate of spontaneous remission of alcoholism.

FredNotBob

We are all gods, but to prove so action must be taken to break down the barriers that hinder us from proving thus.

From what I understand of that path (which is, I admit, remarkably little), the idea of 'we are our own gods' is more of a metaphor -- it's kind of saying 'we are, in our own way, ultimately responsible for our own existance'.

It's not a 'literal' belief that we're gods; it says instead (and in spite of what our individual religious beliefs tell us), the only true 'absolute' is found within ourselves.

We're god-created beings with free will -- how we approach that concept is up to the individual.

Dr. Nosophoros

Being a living human God takes some talent in one area or another, those created in the image of the fear and ignorance of lesser monkeys are exactly that, second rate cherubs who have little relevance except to those who haven't broken through those time honored barriers to human mental development but each speck of dust to their own in their time in this continuous whirlwind of chaos that has no end.

Overall, the beer I am drinking is pretty tasty, those that brewed it must be Gods and they have strange names like Jim, Sally, Fred, and Victoria (V is a very nice lady, but I just made her up) I don't know how to make beer but I should though because I drink enough of it. I just do "lazy mans" hard cider- make some fresh apple cider and let it sit on a shelf for three to four weeks (50-60 degrees), comes out nice and bubbly- drink and enjoy.