• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is on medication for depression or anxiety or has a mental health diagnosis as being mentally unstable?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I have PMDD.

I have to use mini-pill contraceptives to get rid of my menstruation, but the main effect is sedation from the progesterone. I take 2 a day and am doped up most of the time.

It also gets rid of my life-long insomnia.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not on anything.

My oldest son takes an SSRI for OCD.

My middle son takes a bipolar med for violent manias, an antipsychotic for aggressive tendencies, the same SSRI my older son takes for anxiety/depression, a sleep aid(or he'll never sleep), and was newly prescribed a low dose of stimulant to help with impulsivity.

My youngest son and husband take nothing. My husband needs something for anxiety, but he's uninsured, so we can't afford it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not at present, but I have been in the past.

And there are times when I should've been, but wasn't in a position to get help.

The thing we are still kinda bad about understanding in this culture is that mental health is very much like physical health. It will have its ups and downs - health is a spectrum of state - and everyone gets ill from time to time. Everyone. Everyone also practices interventions to encourage good health that vary widely by individual and cultural norms or practices.

When I've taken medication, it's been for times where my usual toolbox of interventions would simply not be enough. The equivalent to breaking a leg, and realizing it is stupid to try and set that bone on your own. I am fortunate to not be dealing with anything chronic because folks around me encouraged proper interventions during those times when I broke a mental leg, so to speak. If I had not, the mental leg wouldn't have healed right and it'd be a chronic condition instead. That's not to say chronic conditions can't also be managed and improved over time, but it depends on a lot of factors. I've known folks who experienced severe trauma when young (e.g., rape) and as a consequence of that suffered from chronic depression their entire lives. It's sad.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I was on a medication to help me sleep and quiet my brain so to speak after my husband died but no longer need it apparently. Many years ago I was also on a medication for much the same reason but also have been off that a long time.

My counselor and my doctor both told me that there is a big difference between a situational event and one that is chronic, like clinical depression or schizophrenia or whatever. So I guess when I needed help sleeping after my husband died, that was situational.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I take meds to counter my depression, anxiety, and various cognitive issues, and to promote sleep, which helps with the other things, too.

While I was teaching at university, i began every semester by including a discussion of mental health, how poorly our society deals with it, but how important it is to get help. After I was diagnosed with my various ailments as my dementia began, I included discussion of my own issues and the need for treatment. I had quite a few students thank me personally for giving them permission (I was a person in a relative position of power who said it was okay) to seek help to deal with their issues. I think I value that feedback more than any other that I got...

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have ADHD and also low support needs autism. I take ADHD meds mostly when I need them like long drives or days when I'm taking CEU classes.

I also have PCOS and take both estrogen and progesterone, which if I don't severely impact my ADHD symptoms in addition to my metabolism.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm just curious. I personally am not but I do have a lot of knowledge and experience regarding mental health issues since my mother and my youngest brother were or are both seriously mentally ill.
I'm not on anything at the moment, but several decades ago I was on anti-anxiety medication for about seven or eight years. And given that such medication would likely only be used for months at a time it is no wonder that I got hooked on them. It came about from what I thought was a nervous breakdown - not sure this means anything now, or then - and where just one interview with a psychologist/psychiatrist(?) (not much help at all) - my own doctor prescribed these (Oxazepam or Diazepam).

I think I had some avoidant tendencies at the time and hence I didn't approach the doctor to get off the medication. Eventually I weaned myself off of them because of the side-effects (just by gradually reducing the dosage) but it seems I tried too quickly at first since I believe I had a seizure whilst lying in bed on one occasion. My doctor dismissed this for some reason, but having a feeling as if your brain has just had mains electricity applied to it I think is far from normal. :eek:

Apart from this episode, I believe I was also suffering from depression, social anxiety, and possibly an avoidant personality disorder. I didn't approach my doctor regarding any of these (perhaps because of the last in the list) and hence had no treatment for them. Fortunately all have mostly disappeared over time. :D

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Im on Zoloft and latuda for mood issues, testosterone for gender dysphoria, and melatonin for sleep. My psychiatrist wanted to put me on meds for nightmares but i refused.

I have cptsd, autism, adhd, a mood disorder(docs differ on if it's Major depressive disorder, bipolar, or just related to trauma), anxiety NOS, and gender dysphoria. Cptsd is the cause most my major issues however.

RestlessSoul

I’m a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. The medical profession can’t do a lot for people like me, since medication is the problem, not the solution.

AA saved, and continues to save my life, no doubt. I have come to understand that I have a potentially fatal malady of mind, body and spirit, and I have to treat all three facets; but not with meds.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I’m a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. The medical profession can’t do a lot for people like me, since medication is the problem, not the solution.

AA saved, and continues to save my life, no doubt. I have come to understand that I have a potentially fatal malady of mind, body and spirit, and I have to treat all three facets; but not with meds.

Glad you seem to be winning the battle